Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women: Would you stay with your man if he was unemployed for a long stretch?
Yes 32 68.09%
No 15 31.91%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:46 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think it is obvious that it is still more acceptable for a man to support a woman than vice versa and that most women are not up with financially supporting a man long term
We can agree on that. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:48 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
I'm a man, I would stay with my woman if she was unemployed. Sometimes things happen. She could be looking for another job and sometimes it's okay to quit, maybe it was a hellish time at work, harassed, etc.

So yes I would, same if I were a woman and my man lost his job.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:02 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
To answer your question I have never been supported by a man, except my father, nor do I expect to be so yes I would understand if a man did not want to support me financially.

I think it is obvious that it is still more acceptable for a man to support a woman than vice versa and that most women are not up with financially supporting a man long term (that seems to be what you are trying to get at). Heck its been a whole 40 something years since the equal opportunity laws were passed. All the double standards, attitudes, traditions, prejudices and gender roles should forgotten history by now, right?
I don't want to derail the thread, but what equal opportunity laws do you mean? Because the Equal Rights Amendment was never ratified. Many states have passed state-level equal opportunity laws (and some still have not) but the US Constitution still does not give women equal rights. Hard to believe, but true.

Here are the 15 states whose legislatures have not ratified the Equal Rights Amendment: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah, and Virginia.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:11 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
I think this was a "gotcha" thread, which is true of about half the threads here. But anyway.

I suspect the women who wouldn't stick with a man through tough times are more traditional across a range of gender issues. Isolating this one issue and inviting people to show their hand seems disingenuous. A bit entertaining, but disingenuous no less.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:21 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,784 times
Yes, I agree. It would be like if I started a thread asking men "Would you leave your terminally ill wife?" because I've read several statistics showing that women will care for their sick husbands until death, but men are far more likely to leave women who have the misfortune of serious illness.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:29 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I think this was a "gotcha" thread, which is true of about half the threads here. But anyway.

I suspect the women who wouldn't stick with a man through tough times are more traditional across a range of gender issues. Isolating this one issue and inviting people to show their hand seems disingenuous. A bit entertaining, but disingenuous no less.
The OP is just seeing what he wants to see in the responses to this thread to support his ideas that women are leeches, divas, and princesses.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:08 PM

718 posts, read 615,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I'm not saying that a woman, or any person, is a bad person for not wanting to carry long term financial burden of two people.

However, I do ask if you'd be as understanding if you were to lose your job and the guy decided he didn't want to support you. Because it seems that what some people advocate in life is that it's acceptable for a man to support a woman financially, but it's never acceptable for a woman to support a man financially. Nor is it acceptable for a woman to stick it out with a man who can't support her, while it's completely acceptable for a man to stick it out with a woman who can't support him or herself temporarily. So turn the tables for the sake of discussion. If you lost your job and were having a difficult time landing a new one (say it was taking longer than three months), would you be understanding if your hypothetical man decided he was done with you because you couldn't support yourself? Or would you be distraught, you know, because "it's a man's job to take care of his woman"?

I'm curious if there's a double standard held by some of you.
I'm currently finishing up a year of my BA, full-time student who works part-time. I'm living on my own (with roommates), and paying my own rent, food and necessities. If I lost my job, I would have no choice but to drop out and move in with my parents. I wouldn't expect any guy to buy my way until I got a job.

But that's just me. I like paying for my own things. I don't borrow money. I get that sometimes sh*t happens, but I wouldn't personally stick around. Not because a man is providing my lifestyle, but because if he's gone a year without employment, even if he's looking, at some point you have to acknowledge that you're a financial burden and you need to look at more options. Whether it's moving out, downsizing or looking for a different job.

I think with a marriage, things are a little different. When children or shared assets are involved, perhaps, it makes more sense to stick it out and hope for the best.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
I'm currently finishing up a year of my BA, full-time student who works part-time. I'm living on my own (with roommates), and paying my own rent, food and necessities. If I lost my job, I would have no choice but to drop out and move in with my parents. I wouldn't expect any guy to buy my way until I got a job.

But that's just me. I like paying for my own things. I don't borrow money. I get that sometimes sh*t happens, but I wouldn't personally stick around. Not because a man is providing my lifestyle, but because if he's gone a year without employment, even if he's looking, at some point you have to acknowledge that you're a financial burden and you need to look at more options. Whether it's moving out, downsizing or looking for a different job.

I think with a marriage, things are a little different. When children or shared assets are involved, perhaps, it makes more sense to stick it out and hope for the best.
If you have roommates then you are not TRULY on your own.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:12 PM

718 posts, read 615,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
If you have roommates then you are not TRULY on your own.
Lol no, I am. We all pay the same rent/utilities. They don't cover any of my expenses. I don't need a four bedroom loft to myself. What I pay at this loft for monthly rent would be the same as a one bedroom.

So come again?

Old 04-01-2015, 08:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
Lol no, I am. We all pay the same rent/utilities. They don't cover any of my expenses. I don't need a four bedroom loft to myself. What I pay at this loft for monthly rent would be the same as a one bedroom.

So come again?
Like i said you have support from others to remain INDOORS on a daily basis which is not the same thing as being independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships