Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,512 times

Advertisements

Hi, I feel that I'm in an "unfair"/one-sided relationship. I was just looking for your opinion on this, and if you could offer any advice. I have tried to talk to my gf about it, but, she just doesn't see it, feeling her reactions are completely justified. It may be important to note that we're both in our early 20's and have been dating for almost two years. I don't recall this being quite as bad as it was in our early months (honeymoon stage, perhaps)..
A few examples:

If I were to get busy with homework or housework, I tend to leave my cell phone on a table somewhere. If I am gone about an hour, I'll get 4 text ("where are you, haven't heard from you etc") along with two missed calls often with swearing involved, what's wrong with me, how come I can't pick up my phone, what possibly could I be doing etc. Its perfectly fine for her to forget her phone in her jacket when she's helping her family or doing..well..whatever, and not to hear from her for an hr, 2 hr or even 3, only to get a text "sorry, I was__".

Perfectly fine for her to kick my dog, call my cat an a$$shole, but I have to "learn to love her dog".

She can be hours late when we want to hang out, but if I were to say "I'll be at your house at 4" and its 4:05, I'll get a text "where are you?? Thought you would be here by now!"

Perfectly fine for her to come home from work and go straight to bed complaining of a headache (she has a very easy day, which often consist of sitting on the couch playing on facebook all day), but when I have a long day at work or school (or a combo of both), oh would Sh*t hit the fan if I were to say "I'm tired, I want to go to lay down", I did that once and got the "uh, you should visit with [her] mom."

So, yeah you get the point. Like I said, I feel communication is very important and have communicated these issues, and basically pointed out the examples I said above. She doesn't seem to get it and feels completely justified and each case. Any other ideas? I feel a bit lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hi, I feel that I'm in an "unfair"/one-sided relationship. I was just looking for your opinion on this, and if you could offer any advice. I have tried to talk to my gf about it, but, she just doesn't see it, feeling her reactions are completely justified. It may be important to note that we're both in our early 20's and have been dating for almost two years. I don't recall this being quite as bad as it was in our early months (honeymoon stage, perhaps)..
A few examples:

If I were to get busy with homework or housework, I tend to leave my cell phone on a table somewhere. If I am gone about an hour, I'll get 4 text ("where are you, haven't heard from you etc") along with two missed calls often with swearing involved, what's wrong with me, how come I can't pick up my phone, what possibly could I be doing etc. Its perfectly fine for her to forget her phone in her jacket when she's helping her family or doing..well..whatever, and not to hear from her for an hr, 2 hr or even 3, only to get a text "sorry, I was__".

Perfectly fine for her to kick my dog, call my cat an a$$shole, but I have to "learn to love her dog".

She can be hours late when we want to hang out, but if I were to say "I'll be at your house at 4" and its 4:05, I'll get a text "where are you?? Thought you would be here by now!"

Perfectly fine for her to come home from work and go straight to bed complaining of a headache (she has a very easy day, which often consist of sitting on the couch playing on facebook all day), but when I have a long day at work or school (or a combo of both), oh would Sh*t hit the fan if I were to say "I'm tired, I want to go to lay down", I did that once and got the "uh, you should visit with [her] mom."

So, yeah you get the point. Like I said, I feel communication is very important and have communicated these issues, and basically pointed out the examples I said above. She doesn't seem to get it and feels completely justified and each case. Any other ideas? I feel a bit lost.
It's not your cat that's the a$$hole in this household! It's your "girlfriend"!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,374,312 times
Quote:
A few examples:

From your post, your gf is insulting you and kicking your animals (which is never good, violence is never good). I would advise you not to take it. I would not take this type of behavior from a SO.

Maybe you can talk to her and explain that you are not happy with the situation. However if things do not get better, I would just think if this is the relationship I want to be in.

JMO

(please do not allow people to hurt an animal. They are very defenseless )

Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
What are the words so many people on here use so often? Oh, yes! "Dump her!"

From your description, she sounds needy, controlling, selfish, and angry. What are you getting from this "relationship"?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Why are you with her???

If someone ever kicked my dog I'd flippin' kick them back...a lot harder than they kicked the dog.

Stop allowing her to treat you this way.

She sounds like a really sweet girl

Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Why are you with her???:
I'd imagine she's hot.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:08 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,328,819 times
Quote:
A few examples:

You relationship doesn't have ANYTHING to do with fairness/unfairness. It's got more to do with a total lack of respect on her part. Sounds like you've got a major beeyotch on your hands.

If this hasn't always been her behavior, odds are she's tired of the relationship and is lashing out as a measure to push you away OR she's become so comfortable with you kissing her a** that she's lost all respect for you.

Either way, you need to put a stop to her behavior.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,512 times
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, its hard to see her kick the dog (or I guess its more of kneeing as she grumbles a few swears and says "get out of my fking way", BUT STILL). Seeniorita, you are perfectly right, I think its the latter though (the talks of marriage and kids aren't really a sign she's trying to push me away) but rather is becoming too comfortable with it.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:33 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
A few examples:

Your girlfriend is a bully and control freak.

Signing up to be her doormat is all on you.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:41 AM

334 posts, read 528,771 times
She kicked the dog??? Awwwww HECK NAWWWW... she's got to go!!! I'd let a dude hit ME before I let him hit my dog. At least if he hits me, I can pick up a cast-iron frying pan and knock him into eternity. My dog can't do anything but whimper and cower away... heck naw. That's a deal-breaker.

Somebody needs to get-to-packin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships