Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,470,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirkenneth View Post
Hi guys,
I'm a medical student who had a 4 months relationship with a student from my class. We have been the best friends for a few months before we started dating and I felt like he was my soulmate during that time, although we're very different. The guy is very introvert comparing to me, less ambitious and dominant, but really considerate loving to me. He had almost no friends when we met, and I'm, as a very social girl introduced him to my friends at the time. after a few months I felt bored. I mean, I felt like I wanted him to stay in my life as a very good friend, but not as my boyfriend. I loved him a real, true love, as I love my mom and my brother, but I felt it was right for us to break up and try to leave things as they were before 4 months before. He didn't accept that and tried really hard to keep the relationship going. He said I was his world and he couldn't imagine his life without me. I couldn't either, but we both saw "us" as two different things.
Therefore, he decided to have no contact with me at all. I believe it was too hard for him to have me around, even as a friend and he wanted to break that off.
It's been almost a year of no contact. He unfriended me on FB. We study in the same class, but we're not talking and even ignoring each other. Most of my close friends kind of picked his side, and I have almost no contact with them today either. It was the hardest thing for me at the beginning, although I was the one who broke up with him.
I'd say that I decided not to have a relationship this year, in order to focus on my studies. After a few months I felt good with the decision. I got a little upset, of course, when he had a birthday and I didn't call and I'm almost sure he's dating another girl from our class, who was one of my friends before the breakup.
I'd say that I DON'T wanna get back to him. I don't see us as a couple and it was a mistake. I do miss him a lot now. It's so strange- almost a year of no contact and no crying, but now, I feel bad. I miss him, I listen to our songs, I see pics and it's so hard. Maybe it's not him, but the need for being so close to someone. I don't know.
What I do know, is that I feel empty. I feel bad. I spend a lot of time thinking about him.
What should I do?
Thanks in advance,
Emma
1. Attachment causes suffering.
2. Take a yoga class.
3. Stick to your studies. People die to go to med school and live in nyc. You are lucky to being doing both.
4. Don't feel sorry for him. He's going to be doctor. He's going to get tons hot girls.
5. You don't need friends. Get a cat. Its low maintenance although I refuse to pick up after pets so that's why i don't have any. maybe get fish instead
6. Get rid of social media.

and mostly importantly...it could be worse. You still have bladder control. You have food, shelter, and water.

Try being homeless. It would suck more than the predicament you are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 08:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
This reminds me of the posts by Penive Pam. Or whatever that troll's name was.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:27 PM

850 posts, read 795,944 times
Why don't you write to Dear Abbey instead.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:27 PM

2,603 posts, read 3,398,438 times
Nothing worse than being twitter unfriended. Jesus these kids and their social media nonsense. Its sad that there are people who communicate primarily through this method. I'm not even 40 and I don't part take in this crap. Do people call each other anymore?

Old 04-03-2015, 04:34 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,230,460 times
Forget him honey. Your too young to be in love anyway. Go enjoy your life before you worry about sharing it with someone else.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 04-03-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 05:01 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Had you not said Med School, I'd have assumed junior high.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:27 PM

162 posts, read 181,165 times
Quote:
What should I do?
Did you add his name to your screen name? I desperately need that answer.

I read your initial post and imagined the responses you'd get. They're all here.

After talking to enough women in NYC, I can confidently relay what they'd tell you:
1. Learn how to find dates here. The process is different and you need to strategize.
2. Age doesn't necessarily matter for your type of situation, but through your phrasing and tone, it sounds like you might need a little toughening up.
3. (Sorry, I don't have a #3... my New York-tough wife isn't here for extra suggestions.)

Old 09-14-2015, 07:10 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,576,552 times
Quote:
Hi guys,
I'm a medical student who had a 4 months relationship with a student from my class. We have been the best friends for a few months before we started dating and I felt like he was my soulmate during that time, although we're very different. The guy is very introvert comparing to me, less ambitious and dominant, but really considerate loving to me. He had almost no friends when we met, and I'm, as a very social girl introduced him to my friends at the time. after a few months I felt bored. I mean, I felt like I wanted him to stay in my life as a very good friend, but not as my boyfriend. I loved him a real, true love, as I love my mom and my brother, but I felt it was right for us to break up and try to leave things as they were before 4 months before. He didn't accept that and tried really hard to keep the relationship going. He said I was his world and he couldn't imagine his life without me. I couldn't either, but we both saw "us" as two different things.
What I do know, is that I feel empty. I feel bad. I spend a lot of time thinking about him.
What should I do?
Thanks in advance,
Emma
Interesting question, but to me it sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. Why do you care when you broke up with him ? Why do you keep looking backwards ? Ask yourself if it might be because he has moved on and you have not ?

If I have a problem with someone or something then often the best thing to do is to turn your back on the bad habit and just move on - clearly he has done this and you have watched it happen - be happy for him now you need to follow the same course. Take the advice - be friendly, cordial, professional but move on. Get a new peer group if you have to.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:45 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,190 times
If he graduates and becomes a doctor, I'm sure he will have plenty of women to choose from. Not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships