Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:36 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Okay, y'all know who I am and my views on marriage and children. I was talking with a female friend about my lack of a dating life and my not being interested in marriage or children and she asked me straight up, why would you bother with a relationship anyway since you don't want it to go anywhere significant? That got me thinking, why would any woman date me since I likely won't marry her or have a family with her? I know for companionship but that can only go so far right?
You know, there in DC you should be able to find some ladies who are more into a career than into getting their "MRS" degree and doing the June Cleaver thing. Just sayin'.

If you are willing to consider ladies who are at least a little older than you, you may find them more mature, and more into having a good time that does not necessarily involve "babies" or "forever". I mostly dated 40-ish ladies while I was in my 20's.

Since you are looking for a distinct minority among women - the child-free ones - seems to me online dating would be a good way to avoid meeting incompatible dates. I know all the downfalls of OLD, but, it might be the "least bad" way to conduct your search.

Hang in there, brah! Child-free women exist, they are just rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 07:43 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Okay, y'all know who I am and my views on marriage and children. I was talking with a female friend about my lack of a dating life and my not being interested in marriage or children and she asked me straight up, why would you bother with a relationship anyway since you don't want it to go anywhere significant? That got me thinking, why would any woman date me since I likely won't marry her or have a family with her? I know for companionship but that can only go so far right?
I don't know. Dating is hard when you don't want what your target audience wants.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:33 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,089 times
Sure, I would be ok with a relationship. I'll be soon 28 (my last year of college) and never want kids.

No point in marriage because then the guy for sure is going to ask for kids. No thanks.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:51 PM

65 posts, read 83,228 times
If you don't want to get married, you could have a long list of flings like a lot of other dudes "sowing their oats". But you don't want to sow oats. You just want to lay pipe. And that's your right.

But yeah, I agree with the other poster that you should try online dating and look for girls like Oprah. She dated Steadman for a million years and I guess she just doesn't want marriage or children either.

But for goodness sakes don't get a pretty young girl and date her forever with her hoping to settle down and have kids with you. That'd be just be plain wrong and a waste of her time.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
You want something that is counter to what many people want...you've narrowed your selection to begin with by quite a bit. Of course it's going to be harder, as it always is for everyone who's looking for something that is less typical than the norm.

There are women who want what you want...they'll just be harder to find.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:20 PM

718 posts, read 616,028 times
A woman who feels the same way as you.

Just because you can't have children, doesn't mean you can't have sex. That's enough for a lot of women. A good job is a plus, too. I think marriage is becoming a dying trend, so to speak. I think a lot of younger, childless women who are more career-driven and less family-oriented, wouldn't mind holding off marriage forever. Kids aren't for everyone either. There are women out there who can do without the "American Dream". My aunt is 43, never had a child, despite coming from a family of 8 brothers/sisters.

They're out there. Somewhere.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:28 PM

914 posts, read 766,191 times
Quote:

What are you really wanting though? Do you want a perpetual casual dating relationship? What is the point of all this introspective reflection about relationships when you don't even want one? Just stop thinking about it and do you.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
I'm okay with a committed and monogamous relationship, preferably without cohabitation.
How would a relationship of this nature work? What do you envision and why should it be appealing to a woman to want this with you?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Not much help to me, I'm 26. Women my age still by and large want the "American Dream" family.
If you want something serious, then you'll most likely have to give on the marriage issue. The no-kids issue will take some out of the dating pool, but not as much as both will.

As time goes on, you'll probably find the kind of women you find attractive will be married (or will want to be) and the ones who aren't will not seem like good prospects to you.

So think seriously about what you really want and understand the trade offs that go with those wants. You can't have it all.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:26 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
If you want something serious, then you'll most likely have to give on the marriage issue. The no-kids issue will take some out of the dating pool, but not as much as both will.

As time goes on, you'll probably find the kind of women you find attractive will be married (or will want to be) and the ones who aren't will not seem like good prospects to you.

So think seriously about what you really want and understand the trade offs that go with those wants. You can't have it all.
How presumptuous and arrogant. Really. For one thing, you obviously haven't read many of Dissenter's posts. For another, it sounds as though you think people who want marriage are somehow superior to those who don't, and that to be with someone of such allegedly superior quality, one has to compromise one's own values--all of which is, to borrow from another member here, a steaming heap of bovine excrement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships