Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 06:24 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If my husband is tired and isn't going to start on a project that needs to be done, he says he's tired and going to do it later. Same for me. No need to le about anything.
How long are you going to listen to that? What's your threshold for tolerance? We all have them, hell I think maybe people who go postal don't really have a good knowledge of their thresholds and levels of tolerance.

You're not going to listen to "maybe later" or "not today I'm too tired" forever. Neither would he. Things would start to crack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:43 PM

192 posts, read 177,967 times
I've read nothing but the subject but emphatically argue "no"

Old 04-05-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Honey, this ^^^ is just rationalization.
No it's not. It's an explanation of a way of reasoning and acting through an event. The specific instance I mentioned I knew she had a hard day. I had a hard week. I knew the brakes were due to be checked/changed but the situation was not life threatening. Another 100 miles wasn't going to lead to the grave. She had no clear idea of what the brakes on the car were let alone an idea of wear and tear. She was stressed and that came up in her mind. I was tired. I needed to NOT use my head for just awhile. She would not have accepted an answer like "the brakes are fine", that's not what she NEEDED to hear.

I picked my battle. I "deflected" the whole thing and she had one thing less to worry about.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I've read nothing but the subject but emphatically argue "no"
When it comes to life there are shades of grey.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
No it's not. It's an explanation of a way of reasoning and acting through an event. The specific instance I mentioned I knew she had a hard day. I had a hard week. I knew the brakes were due to be checked/changed but the situation was not life threatening. Another 100 miles wasn't going to lead to the grave. She had no clear idea of what the brakes on the car were let alone an idea of wear and tear. She was stressed and that came up in her mind. I was tired. I needed to NOT use my head for just awhile. She would not have accepted an answer like "the brakes are fine", that's not what she NEEDED to hear.

I picked my battle. I "deflected" the whole thing and she had one thing less to worry about.
An, yes, the old "lie to her for her own good" fable.

Still not good, and still rationalization.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:46 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
If you lie once then everything, EVERYTHING is questioned now. Better you don't.

This. The insidious nature of the lie is that it has no boundaries or limits. You can't lie about 1 out of 10 things and expect to be believed on the 9 you are truthful about because you have revealed your potential to lie. You are either trustworthy or you're not. There's no such thing as "mostly" or "usually".

Old 04-05-2015, 07:54 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
So, greasing the skids would be if I bought too many shoes and didn't tell my husband...?

Nope, I would tell him, and if it bothered him I would take them back.

To me there is nothing worth the loss of trust.

My opinion has always been if you have to lie then either you are doing something wrong, or you married someone not reasonable, or not in-line with how you want to live your life.

Either of those is a problem.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-05-2015, 08:10 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Definitely not okay to lie to a spouse. I've done it and even fell into the rationalizing and trying to justify it. At the end of the day all it did was make things worse, and ultimately despite all my trying to rationalize it in my own mind I had to be honest with myself: it was a dirtbag thing to do.

My wife and I have survived several mistakes made by both of us, so I am blessed to be where I am today. But it's an act of providence and not my own that has kept us together.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:20 PM

609 posts, read 615,482 times
I don't see how lying about small things is an issue. Sometimes I lie just because telling the whole situation/story would take way too much time.
I think most people lie to make things run more smoothly sometimes and that's ok.
Now going out with your guy friends and getting a lap dance from a stripper who you have been pining for and telling your wife you were golfing is definitely not ok. That's not a "small thing"

Old 04-05-2015, 08:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
How long are you going to listen to that? What's your threshold for tolerance? We all have them, hell I think maybe people who go postal don't really have a good knowledge of their thresholds and levels of tolerance.

You're not going to listen to "maybe later" or "not today I'm too tired" forever. Neither would he. Things would start to crack.
Worked so far.

It's not "maybe later". It's, as tonight, "I don't feel like doing the dishes. I'll get them in the morning." It's "We'll paint the baby's room the last weekend in April, things are crazy right now." It's, "I'll go get the new plates for the car after next week, when Midterms are over." And then actually following through, on all counts, in whatever way is appropriate. Not putting things off indefinitely, but communicating a plan for when whatever gets done.

If you just always want to beg off on stuff indefinitely, I can see where you'd be tempted to fabricate crap In order to kep doing it, versus just being honest. If you're keen on putting off obligations forever, you're obviously going to have problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships