Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times

Advertisements

Ok, nothing against those that are 25 but... she's 25...
Not the most concerned with others age - to say the least.
Try calling her - letting her know you are so sorry she had that loss of a grandparent... that's not being clingy, that's being respectful to her grand and to her...

I'm sure you'll find that she was just tied up with all the family in town - the arrangements and all - if you DON'T call she could then say, 'And even after he found out xxxxxx died, he didn't even call me! What kind of guy is he for not caring? I thought we were getting along great!"... Don't let her have THAT conversation!

Sorry for her loss -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 10:50 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,094 times
If you feel calling her is weird, you can always send a follow up text with " I hope you and your family are coping well" "sending my condolences to you and family" etc. There's nothing bad about showing concern to somebody who suffers a loss, even if its from someone you dislike.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:28 PM

192 posts, read 177,967 times
I'm inclined to agree with Tumf (though I am not sure he/she realizes I texted her within a couple minutes of receiving the text, and that has been our exclusive form of communication when not in person and only to arrange getting together) However, the majority of people here and in my life tell me I need to give it some time, so that is what I am going to do. I think when we finally do talk I might tell her I wanted to do/say more but didn't think it was appropriate given how little we know each other. Thoughts on that?

Old 04-07-2015, 12:14 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I've never balanced showing compassion versus how long I've known someone. Honestly, you seem less concerned about HER, and more concerned with how YOU look.

More "what should I do that will better my chances with her?", than "wow, this must be really hard for her."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-07-2015, 12:43 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,559 times
How could you even send flowers without knowing her name? Think about it...

Old 04-07-2015, 04:48 AM

192 posts, read 177,967 times
I could ask her if there is an address to which I can send flowers. I want to show her compassion. But I don't want to freak her out. So I am not sure what to do. Pretty much everyone is saying give her some time. So that is what I think I should do. It's not about how I look. It's about the fact I really like her so far, so I don't want to mess things up during a complicated period.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:50 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returning_to_dating View Post
I could ask her if there is an address to which I can send flowers. I want to show her compassion. But I don't want to freak her out. So I am not sure what to do. Pretty much everyone is saying give her some time. So that is what I think I should do. It's not about how I look. It's about the fact I really like her so far, so I don't want to mess things up during a complicated period.
Maybe so, but that is NOT how it comes across here. Your motivation seems much more rooted in your image and a reflected sense of self.

Reflected Sense of Self Versus Solid Sense of Self «

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Honestly, you seem less concerned about HER, and more concerned with how YOU look.

More "what should I do that will better my chances with her?", than "wow, this must be really hard for her."
I agree with Mikala. This really does seem to be the root of your concern. Because if you had a SOLID sense of self and KNEW who you were and what the right thing to do is, you would KNOW how to handle this situation. But because you really seem to have a reflected sense of self, you are supremely worried about what she will think about you and your gesture, which is something you can't control.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:21 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,347 times
A measly text to relay condolences about passing of her grandfather?? What are you, 10 years old?

CALL her and apologize that you dared to send her a crumb of a text message save the spelling error. Wow.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:11 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

So she will go on two dates with you but not tell you her name?? And you don't ask.

What the hell kind of world are we living in now?

Plot twist: There is no grandfather. OP has been dumped.

To confirm, log into Match and see when she was last active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Apparently it's common enough that Seinfeld created a routine around it on one of his shows. Several dates, and he still didn't know his hot gf's name.
Mulva?

Old 04-07-2015, 02:12 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
A measly text to relay condolences about passing of her grandfather?? What are you, 10 years old?
This. She must be really hot if she's causing this much befuddlement. lol Hard to believe a grown lawyer pushing 40 would get this paralyzed over someone not too long out of college. You can't go wrong offering someone condolences. Unless you wait too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships