Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 04:42 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,635,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Taking a stand could be a personal growth issue for her. Sounds like she's not used to asserting herself. Maybe she hasn't matured into that, yet. She knows what she needs to do, she just has to muster the ego-strength to do that.
Trust me, she can be assertive. In her job, she has no trouble putting people in their place. But it's a lot harder when it's your friends because then you worry that speaking your mind might damage your relationship. I think that's where she's at mentally. She knows that a lot of these people are a bad influence, she knows that she may have to cut them out altogether, but it's still hard to walk away from friendships you've had for years. I can totally understand her reluctance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 05:23 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Trust me, she can be assertive. In her job, she has no trouble putting people in their place. But it's a lot harder when it's your friends because then you worry that speaking your mind might damage your relationship. I think that's where she's at mentally. She knows that a lot of these people are a bad influence, she knows that she may have to cut them out altogether, but it's still hard to walk away from friendships you've had for years. I can totally understand her reluctance.
OP, if speaking up for herself and asking her friends for support in her dealing with her medical condition is going to damage the friendship, it wasn't worth much in the first place. What are friends for? These sound more like fair-weather friends, party buddies, not real friends.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, if speaking up for herself and asking her friends for support in her dealing with her medical condition is going to damage the friendship, it wasn't worth much in the first place. What are friends for? These sound more like fair-weather friends, party buddies, not real friends.
Some of these people are former coworkers, people who've helped her in the past, so she feels a great deal of loyalty to them and perhaps indebted. They've been through major crises together, not just in the workplace, but outside. Like I said, she knows these people are making it harder for her, but cutting those ties isn't easy because she has a lot of emotional investment. If they were just drinking buddies, then I'd say she shouldn't feel bad about cutting them off.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Some of these people are former coworkers, people who've helped her in the past, so she feels a great deal of loyalty to them and perhaps indebted. They've been through major crises together, not just in the workplace, but outside. Like I said, she knows these people are making it harder for her, but cutting those ties isn't easy because she has a lot of emotional investment. If they were just drinking buddies, then I'd say she shouldn't feel bad about cutting them off.
Oh, well this makes it clearer why she's struggling with this issue. She can see them less often, and in the meantime, try to develop new friendships. She doesn't have to write them off completely. Or, if they've been through that much together, surely they'd understand if she said she has a medical condition that she needs to be careful about, "doctor's orders"....? Maybe if they found that out, they'd back off a bit on their own.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:55 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Your girlfriend is grown up ass woman and she can make her own choices.
If you do not like her lifestyle choices , you can leave anytime.
Bingo. It's on her if she doesn't lose weight. It's starting to sound to me like a fat-shaming or drink-shaming situation.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:22 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,353 times
I've totally been in your gf's shoes and it is tough. My friends all look fit and healthy, but man, they eat and drink a lot of crap. We never do anything healthy together, really.

For a really long time I just considered my friend time to be my cheat meals or whatever. It never really worked (I'd gain 5 pounds of bloat/fat after a single weekend with them), but I just wasn't ready to give it up for a long time. More recently though, I've just asked if we could be a little more healthy and everyone's been fine with that. We all know we shouldn't be eating and drinking the crap we do. I started bringing vegetables and dip instead of chips, planned meals with more vegetables and less bread/pasta, etc.

Maybe you could suggest a healthy alternative to contribute to the next event with her friends? That's a start, anyway. I wouldn't be too pushy about it though, I'm sure she knows that her friends are not helping her health goals. She just might not be emotionally ready to deal with it.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Bingo. It's on her if she doesn't lose weight. It's starting to sound to me like a fat-shaming or drink-shaming situation.
Really? Who's doing the shaming? She's the one who said she wanted to lose weight. I never told her to do so. She's the one who wants to cut back on drinking. I never told her to do that. All I've done is say that I'd support her in whatever she wants to do. I don't see who's doing the shaming or where you even pulled that out of.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:45 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Really? Who's doing the shaming? She's the one who said she wanted to lose weight. I never told her to do so. She's the one who wants to cut back on drinking. I never told her to do that. All I've done is say that I'd support her in whatever she wants to do. I don't see who's doing the shaming or where you even pulled that out of.
Because you are so adamant about making her stay on her diet, to the tune of wanting her to stop hanging out with these so-called "bad influences", and wanting to tell her what to do.

Leave her alone if you're so supportive. She'll lose the weight when she's damn good & ready.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Because you are so adamant about making her stay on her diet, to the tune of wanting her to stop hanging out with these so-called "bad influences", and wanting to tell her what to do.

Leave her alone if you're so supportive. She'll lose the weight when she's damn good & ready.
I agree with this. I think it's just a matter of time before she does something about the issue. People often have more options than they can perceive in the moment. She may be making assumptions about them that are unwarranted (they'd abandon her if she told the she has a health issue, or that hanging out with them is an all-or-nothing proposition; either she goes out with them as often as they'd like, or she has to cut them off altogether). Or maybe she just isn't quite motivated enough to lose weight. That, also, would explain why she doesn't talk to her friends about dialing back the drinking.

BTW, what's this mysterious medical condition?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-07-2015 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 01:04 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,222 times
Quote:

This. Except a little less abrasive.

Denny, it's admirable that you want to support her, it really is. (Although I chuckled when you said you didn't "complain" when she went to the gym instead of hanging out with you.)

But she is over 40. She is an adult.

Also, you stated that these people have been there for her in the past. These aren't just casual relationships, so why should she end them? She shouldn't.

It is possible to hang out with friends and make healthy choices. I've done it. If she isn't doing it, that's no one's fault but her own.

And honestly, maybe she's using them as a little bit of a scapegoat for cheating on her diet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships