Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times

Advertisements

Been with my GF for eight months and the pros def outweigh the cons.
She has been with a total of one person since we have been together and is bisexual. And I have been with a total of two girls/women.

I can understand a much greater issue if you are seeing many people. But thats not the case with us.
It gives variety and freedom. Until the day I commit fully to her, If indend I do. Then of course this would cease.

This is the best relationship I have ever been in. Enlighten me why this is not more common. Esp given the circumstances of our relationship, which is not that uncommon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 06:36 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
I don't think it has much to do with open relationships, but rather that you two are on the same page when it comes to your views.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:38 AM

750 posts, read 643,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Been with my GF for eight months and the pros def outweigh the cons.
She has been with a total of one person since we have been together and is bisexual. And I have been with a total of two girls/women.

I can understand a much greater issue if you are seeing many people. But thats not the case with us.
It gives variety and freedom. Until the day I commit fully to her, If indend I do. Then of course this would cease.

This is the best relationship I have ever been in. Enlighten me why this is not more common. Esp given the circumstances of our relationship, which is not that uncommon.

Um I do not (and im sure most men would not) want my gf banging other dudes while we are together.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Before marriage, you're not really together and can do what you want, but I don't see how you are moving towards committed monogamy with what you are doing.
I mean, why even call her your gf?

Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 AM

33 posts, read 50,592 times
I do,,

Old 04-07-2015, 06:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Personally, I value exclusivity, but if it works for both of you then rock on.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:55 AM

81 posts, read 88,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Before marriage, you're not really together and can do what you want, but I don't see how you are moving towards committed monogamy with what you are doing.
I mean, why even call her your gf?
If you are in a committed relationship, banging other people should not be part of it. If you want to bang other people, be single and do so

I do not get this mentality. As far as what I can see, open relationships are a last ditch effort by people in failing relationships to try to salvage it. Ultimately it fails.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:15 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Open relationship to me means there's the door.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:27 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
Just a difference of views. Me personally, I wouldn't want to be with a man I had to share-for lack of a better word. If I am sleeping with a guy and romantically interested, then I wouldn't feel comfortable or happy knowing that when not with me, he's sleeping around with 5-50 other women.

This is in the relationship stage of course. In the "getting to know you" where it's just a few dates and no exclusivity has been established or discussed, then dating around seems fine. But once the talk has happened and official bf/gf status has happened, I want monogamy, even if we aren't married.

Open Relationships don't work for everyone. Personally, I get jealous. If I am watching a film and have a crush on a guy in said film, I hate when he gets a love interest. So know I am not going to wanna "share" a partner. lol So open for me, means the relationship is already over since he can't be happy with just me, and needs other women. Just wouldn't be a match. So if I found my SO was seeing, or sleeping with other women, or he came to me wanting to start an open relationship, probably grounds for splitting. not to say he's a bad person, but we are not compatible.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Why? Couples in relationships tend to feel committed to each other. Part of that commitment that develops is generally loyalty and exclusivity. It is why cheating is such a big deal to most people in relationships.

That doesn't mean an open relationship is wrong for everyone. For the right couple individuals, it can work. I would caution however, that not everyone who enters an open relationship ends up satisfied with it either. It is not all that common where it really works for both people.

If it is for you, then great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships