Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 01:14 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I know he doesn't, but I don't (and I don't think most people here do) think he is going to get anything more than casual with her. She's young, and doesn't seem overly mature for her young years (average) while Laf is older than his years.

So, have fun and be open to something more serious. Trying to force this to be serious isn't going to lead to any dividends, I don't believe.
But to advocate using her for companionship and as a placeholder until someone else better comes along?

Old 04-16-2015, 01:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
But to advocate using her for companionship and as a placeholder until someone else better comes along?

Sure, if she sees this as casual, and she apparently does, why not? Nothing wrong with casually dating until you meet someone that really knocks your socks off. It seems like he likes having the companion to do stuff with, as does she.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:49 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times
Quote:
Sure, if she sees this as casual, and she apparently does, why not? Nothing wrong with casually dating until you meet someone that really knocks your socks off. It seems like he likes having the companion to do stuff with, as does she.
He does, but ultimately he wants to be serious. I don't think he can see her casually like he is now, but still have the energy to actually date other women with potential long-term compatibility. For instance, I know I couldn't do it. If I'm seeing someone continuously 2-3 days a week and we're talking quite a bit, I'm putting a lot of energy into that person. Even if it's not long-term potential, I'm placing a lot of my time and energy to keep something casual going on. By doing so, I'm taking myself away from the chance of fully being available to meet a woman who better suits me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with pursuing casual relationships, but you have to be realistic. I see my friend once a week at most and I see my FWB once a week at best. My FWB and I meet up usually on a Friday or Saturday night when I'm not planning on going out and doing anything anyways.

My friend and I will meet up on different days at different times. I would imagine for Lafluer, he can do casual with the woman he's with, but he's going to have to set boundaries in order to be able to actively be out and date. The two women I mentioned above are also actively dating and they're not placing any more time than once a week in the bucket for us to hang out and why would they? If you start spending that much time together, why are you not dating? See my point?

Old 04-16-2015, 01:52 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I do, and it may not be for him, but I think he does himself a disservice by not keeping his eyes open while doing this, since he seems like he wants to stick this out for a bit. It's often easier to connect with people of the other sex when you're not looking, or you are in a relationship, since you don't put pressure on yourself (which he does sometime). Since this isn't likely "the one", no reason to have blinders on.

That's all I'm saying.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I know he doesn't, but I don't (and I don't think most people here do) think he is going to get anything more than casual with her. She's young, and doesn't seem overly mature for her young years (average) while Laf is older than his years.

So, have fun and be open to something more serious. Trying to force this to be serious isn't going to lead to any dividends, I don't believe.
It's not just guys who force it. Women force it too. From my experience, they want to know what they're stepping in after a week or two. I've had some that wanted to know what they were stepping in after a first date. Truthfully, I want to know just so I know how to proceed. If I'm wanting to date a woman and she just sees friendship, then I don't need to be cutting out a lot of time in my life to see her. It's not going to fulfill what I'm ultimately after and it puts her in a tough spot of feeling bad.

That's the same vibe I get from a woman too. If she's relationship bound, she may have a guy or two she sees in super casual settings, but the moment she meets that right guy, she's not going to be as focused on those casual settings any longer.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:05 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
I'd get out. I am not interested in anyone who is overly into money and materialistic. Also the drug thing would be a no go for me to. It just doesn't sound like a good match to me.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I do, and it may not be for him, but I think he does himself a disservice by not keeping his eyes open while doing this, since he seems like he wants to stick this out for a bit. It's often easier to connect with people of the other sex when you're not looking, or you are in a relationship, since you don't put pressure on yourself (which he does sometime). Since this isn't likely "the one", no reason to have blinders on.

That's all I'm saying.
I know what you're saying. Just have to be careful that it doesn't backfire, like the off chance the new person you're talking to knows the person you're "dating" or messing around with. It can quickly become a slippery slope.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:54 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
In a nutshell, they feel as if you're insulting their intelligence.
I disagree. Taking consideration of someone's advice and not applying it to a particular instance is far different than telling someone their advice is inapplicable and useless. The latter would be insulting their intelligence. I'm certainly listening, and may very well apply this advice in due time. I just want something more substantial and concrete to push me over the edge. But until then, as timberline has indicated, I'm going to play this out and at least have a little fun in the meantime. It beats the hell out of my current, immediate alternatives.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:26 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I just want something more substantial and concrete to push me over the edge.
Like what?

Quote:
But until then, as timberline has indicated, I'm going to play this out and at least have a little fun in the meantime. It beats the hell out of my current, immediate alternatives.
I think that really is the disconnect between us all. You're okay spending precious time with someone you likely have no future with, where others of us would rather be alone than do that.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Like what?

I think that really is the disconnect between us all. You're okay spending precious time with someone you likely have no future with, where others of us would rather be alone than do that.

Yes yes yes. None of us are harping if you wanted to spend a day a week together or maybe even two. You're spending ample time with her and she appears to be the only person you're communicating with. You're doing yourself a disservice by doing that. You're spending ample time with one person, much like what most people do when they're wanting to form a relationship with them. You're basically accepting whatever she'll give you, and that's fine, but just remember the more time you are spending with her the less time you're out and about meeting women. Think about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships