Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:34 PM

7 posts, read 4,911 times

Advertisements

I am a Sikh with a turban and beard. I am 19, live in the U.S. I have a lot of female friends, I can easily break the ice/chat them up in class, make them laugh, study together, get lunch/dinner, (I don't pay so its not like they are using me), facebook likes/snapchat etc. Most have boyfriends, but there are a lot who don't.
I have some questions:

1) Is this a good sign that I have female friends, even if they are just friends? I am very concerned they like me because as a Sikh they find me non-threatening and "safe." Almost like their gay friend, they think I am pious and thus not interested in anything physical. But, it does show women like my personality. I think my appearance also lowers my confidence. I tend to be really nice, I literally don't know how to be a "jerk" for lack of a better word.

2) There is specifically a girl in my class who I make laugh and we talk. I don't have her number, but I know she is single from Facebook. How do I escalate? Ask her out for a drink/dinner? Should I wait until the end of the semester so its not weird? I overthink these things a lot.

3) The other thing is for some reason girls my age don't like me (mid 20s). Does this mean Im ugly? I'm more of a chill and honest guy. That is why colder women (30s/40s) like me, I think. They are straightforward and not shy. So maybe I am good looking and it just takes a confident woman to make a move/be more obvious? Women out of my age range who I have been intimate with always tell me they wonder why I'm not in a relationship with a woman my age, they say Im "warm" and "funny."

I have no problem escalating when I am on a date (usually find women at a bar/wedding/online), but in class I think of how odd it will be if she shuts me down, tells all her friends and I have to see her the rest of the year etc, so I don't pursue.

Any help is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 11:47 PM

750 posts, read 643,948 times
my advice if you want to date outside your race / religion is to ditch the turban.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
my advice if you want to date outside your race / religion is to ditch the turban.
Pretty rude.

I also guess you missed the part where I said I have no problems on dates from dating sites. I have had sex with several women.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:26 AM

no one?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:35 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureSikh View Post
Pretty rude.

I also guess you missed the part where I said I have no problems on dates from dating sites. I have had sex with several women.
and you need help getting a woman?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:38 AM

229 posts, read 244,621 times
Quote:
Pretty rude.

He's right though, like it or not, that turban is going to close a lot of doors... ditch it or live with the consequences

Old 04-10-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
and you need help getting a woman?
Someone else who didn't read my post

there were 3 specific questions NUMBERED, that everyone has ignored

Old 04-10-2015, 08:40 AM

896 posts, read 1,476,436 times
Ok so you and your turban had sex with several women.

1-no. 2-no. 3-no

Old 04-10-2015, 08:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Someone else who didn't read my post

there were 3 specific questions NUMBERED, that everyone has ignored

Welcome new poster

Being aggro really won't help you get answers that you'll find helpful. Just a bit of friendly advice.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:04 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
I have a friend who grew up in London, studied in the US, but is originally from Bahrain. Not exactly your situation but it reminds me of her. She was very conflicted in college. She had American boyfriends and identified with western culture. On the other hand, her family was deeply rooted in their culture and expected her to follow suit. Yes, this included arranged marriage.... it was the white elephant in the room that she refused to discuss with any of her American boyfriends at the time but I'm sure it was on their mind.

Ultimately, she was caught between different cultures and you cannot deny the importance of culture and religion in a relationship. She ended up following her families wishes and marrying within the culture and religion that was compatible. She's happy.

You are approaching an age in which the question of longer relationships (engagement and marriage) is on everyone's minds.. may be not in the beginning but as one gets more invested in a relationship those thoughts do come up. If your potential mate gets emotionally invested in a relationship with you but cannot or is unwilling to accept your religion and culture into their life, it becomes a painful conflicting situation. A situation that many will avoid.

You don't get to choose who you fall in love with BUT you do get to choose who you share your life with.

So while MEDALLOKUYA response may be a bit crude, it does have some value to it. When you first meet anyone, its human nature to measure them superficially. The turban does set you apart from many men in the dating pool. Whether or not that is a good or bad thing, is up to the women in that situation...

1) This is most likely because those girls have identified you as a non-potential-mate. Hence they don't find you threatening. It doesn't matter if the reasons is sexual orientation or religion.

2) I don't see why you can't ask the girl on a date.... its all in good fun. But be prepared for a no... and try not to allow that impact your friendship if that is what you cherish. If it progresses long term, she needs to be allowed to choose whether or not she is willing to accept you for who you are (that includes your religion and culture)

3) These are the same thoughts everyone who struggle in the dating scene experience. Its just a matter of fitting their expectations as well as yours. Perhaps women in the groups you hang out with your age group naturally attract the type of women that are looking for someone who doesn't necessarily fit yourself. Take yourself out of the group and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships