Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:00 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 12:01 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Fellas: If your wife wanted a girlfriend, would you allow it? Let's hear it?

Would you allow your wife to have a girlfriend?

(i.e.- long term intimate relationship with another female)
Nope. If she was that type we would have never gotten to the place where we were married, let alone a serious relationship. That kind of stuff you have to vet out in the "dating" part of the relationship to see if the person actually qualifies for LTR or more.

Having a "girlfriend" is cheating and that is in direct opposition to the vows we made when we got married.

I would think that the majority of sane people would not be okay with their spouse having an outside sex partner no matter the gender.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:07 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Having a "girlfriend" is cheating and that is in direct opposition to the vows we made when we got married.

Well, its not cheating, if both parties agree to it.

And did your vows explicitly state sexual monogamy? I think that is quite uncommon.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:10 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,637 times
My ex had no problem with this, I did things with girls while we were in a relationship, he didn't mind and often encouraged me to embrace my sexuality. But at the same time, I wasn't with having a threesome, and I know that ultimately since he had several before me, that this was his end goal.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:30 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Negative, thats not how I envision a marriage or any committed relationship. It would be easier for me to remain single and have all the threesomes I want with single females. If my wife/SO seriously brought up such a subject, I know our relationship has run its course.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:12 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
I would consider the same as wanting another man and it would go against her fundamental beliefs ...so probably not. Not as romantic partners anyways.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:19 PM

914 posts, read 765,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, its not cheating, if both parties agree to it.

And did your vows explicitly state sexual monogamy? I think that is quite uncommon.
So your view is that marriage shouldn't be sexually monogamous simply because it wasn't "stated" in the vows? You should really let any future fiancé know that you feel this way before you marry her, because most people see marriage as implied monogamy, swingers and polyamory isn't the norm.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:24 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenorSax83 View Post
So your view is that marriage shouldn't be sexually monogamous simply because it wasn't "stated" in the vows? You should really let any future fiancé know that you feel this way before you marry her, because most people see marriage as implied monogamy, swingers and polyamory isn't the norm.

No, that isn't my view. I would want a sexually monogamous one, but that is between the two people at hand.

The poster said their vows indicated sexual monogamy, or that doing so would be in "direct opposition" to his vows. I've just never heard those vows.

I also don't believe in "implied" or "assumed" monogamy, I step up and have the clear conversation about what is ok and what isn't. That would occur well before any marriage.

People can be not married and have strict monogamy, and people can be married and not have monogamy. They're two separate things. I, personally, don't think most people wait to have marriage for monogamy, and open relationships aren't nearly as rare as people think. In fact, assuming anything or banking on implied anything is a bad move in any relationship.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:32 PM

914 posts, read 765,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, that isn't my view. I would want a sexually monogamous one, but that is between the two people at hand.

The poster said their vows indicated sexual monogamy, or that doing so would be in "direct opposition" to his vows. I've just never heard those vows.

I also don't believe in "implied" or "assumed" monogamy, I step up and have the clear conversation about what is ok and what isn't. That would occur well before any marriage.

People can be not married and have strict monogamy, and people can be married and not have monogamy. They're two separate things. I, personally, don't think most people wait to have marriage for monogamy, and open relationships aren't nearly as rare as people think. In fact, assuming anything or banking on implied anything is a bad move in any relationship.
I don't believe a person should have to "step up" and ask their spouse to remain sexually monogamous. Not even in a LTR

Old 04-10-2015, 01:42 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
That's certainly a part of the "deal"
I would consider it.

It would also depend on the 3rd person.

If it was a male: no.
Not just because I'm heterosexual, but because I can wrap my brain around "women having different equipment to offer" than I do.

I'd expect it to "go bad" eventually though.

...but I'd still consider it.

-an ex of mine had 3 friends (FFM) who were "a trifecta" they all wore rings, were exclusive, lived together, seemed very happy, and had been together for.... I'm not sure how long but I know over 5 years.
So it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships