Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 07:51 PM

635 posts, read 753,816 times

Advertisements

I have an older car (had to turn in my beautiful 2014 Rogue when I divorced my ex) and get something more affordable for the time being. How do men (and women) view those that don't have flashy new cars? Is it a turn off? Honestly, it makes me nervous to talk to men who make a lot more money than I do because I don't want them to see I don't have the latest car model. I mean, I have my own house and career...the car is the only thing slacking now.

To me, people who are that materialistic aren't worth my time but it's always in the back of my head once guys see my older car...that's it. I hate that feeling.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
If one chooses not to date you because of the vehicle you drive they are not worth the time or effort because that is very shallow.

If your vehicle is reliable and gets you where you are going without breaking down it is "not" slacking.

If you are the one who is ashamed to be seen in the vehicle you own that is your issue alone and very materialistic on your part.
Do you think you are going to get better dates with a new, shiny, pretty, more than you can afford vehicle?

Old 04-11-2015, 07:55 PM

52,196 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Most dudes don't care about a woman's monetary stuff, as long as she can pay her bills and isn't too ragedy looking......

Old 04-11-2015, 07:56 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I have an older car (had to turn in my beautiful 2014 Rogue when I divorced my ex) and get something more affordable for the time being. How do men (and women) view those that don't have flashy new cars? Is it a turn off? Honestly, it makes me nervous to talk to men who make a lot more money than I do because I don't want them to see I don't have the latest car model. I mean, I have my own house and career...the car is the only thing slacking now.

To me, people who are that materialistic aren't worth my time but it's always in the back of my head once guys see my older car...that's it. I hate that feeling.
This is trivial. As long as the car is in good condition, it shouldn't be a problem. Think of it this way; do you want to avoid the down-to-earth type of guys? Is that what you're aiming for, in wanting a brand-new car? Does anyone really care? Would you want do be with someone who did care?

Old 04-11-2015, 07:57 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Long as his car is clean, and by that I mean he takes care of the one he has, I am good. Don't care what kind it is.

I hate cars that I get in, and there's food, tissue, and junk all over the place and doesn't seem clean. Even if the outside looked good, the inside was horrible. Just keep a clean + tidy car, and other than that I don't care. And talking about cars never held much interest for me. Far as naming types of cars, I couldn't tell you. Other than a Volkswagen, which I like, but I hear they're expensive. So I may look for small and on the cheaper side.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:01 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times
It would be an important thing to me; I value practicality and saving for retirement over flash. A car is just a tool; a woman who has her priorities straight is awesome. I hate shallowness and materialism.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I won't date a girl who drives a BMW or Mercedes. There is a reputation of the drivers of those cars being aholes and in nearly every case with my clients, I found that to be true.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:09 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I love cars.
Shoes? Clothes? Jewelry? Manicures? Pedicures? Purses? Fancy highlights? Schmancy blenders/appliances?Couldn't give two sh**s if I tried.

If the person also liked cars, it would be a big plus.

If they didn't and treated it as a tool, that is also OK as long as they understand that is NOT how I feel and let me do my thing without assuming dumbnut stuff like I am "shallow" and "materialistic."

Old 04-11-2015, 08:10 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I won't date a girl who drives a BMW or Mercedes. There is a reputation of the drivers of those cars being aholes and in nearly every case with my clients, I found that to be true.
You are 100% correct about the BMW part.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:11 PM

635 posts, read 753,816 times
I worry a lot about what others think of me...stems from a bad childhood. I'm trying to work on it. Lately, the car has been giving my issues. Like a new engine had to be put in and today I had to leave it in a parking lot to get towed. It's a 2000 Saturn. Just everything that can go wrong with a car is going wrong. But I mean I keep it clean otherwise. It's just mechanical stuff. I'm trying to avoid selling it because a loan is still out on the car. Anywaysssss....I just didn't know what men thought if a woman doesn't have a flashy car. I just don't want my car preventing me on getting dates (sounds silly I know but everyone knows there's materialistic a-holes out there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships