Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Slip up? Like you tripped on a banana peel, you landed on her, and OOPS your penis just fell into her vagina?
I hate (read: love) when that happens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 11:07 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
The real rule of thumb here is not to put yourself into situations where you will be tempted to "slip up."

However, going along with the hypothetical, I think one would have to really think about why and how they had such a grievous "slip up" before thinking of speaking about it. Such things are not really accidents, and knowing why it happened could have some importance, even if the result of fessing up will be the same.

It may also give direction to how to fess up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
This doesn't help the OP at all! This is like a defense attorney being like "well you shouldn't have murdered that guy!"
I do not think the OP is looking for advice, since he said it is not indicative of anything going on in his life. Just generating some conversation.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:33 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Yes, I would tell with the intent of discussion to further address it as a couple.

I have nothing to really fear but the truth, which is what it is regardless I try to hide it from others. Why lie to myself as well?

Old 04-13-2015, 12:33 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Slip up? Like you tripped on a banana peel, you landed on her, and OOPS your penis just fell into her vagina?
Slipped 33 times in different hotels, only to realize it was a moment of weakness, Lol.

And if it was a one time ONS, then that speaks volumes about what type of loving commited partner he or she is.

Funny stuff, Lol.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:02 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
yes...but he kept getting up and slipping back into her...probably about 45-50 times...I would guess
Once you're naked in the room you might as well do whatever, LOL like your spouse is going to believe "we were naked, but nothing happened."

Old 04-13-2015, 11:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
If I am understanding you, you are basically saying that people never change. They never mature or grow wiser. They never learn from their mistakes, they will never find their compass, they will spend the rest of their lives wandering through life. One lapse of judgment and they can never be redeemed.

Is that what you are saying?
People can certainly change.

But they can't really expect people they've screwed over (or those who know about their behavior) to find them trustworthy in the wake of major breaches of trust. It's a pretty common consequence that when you have proven yourself to be untrustworthy, there are those who will not, then, trust you.

You may never behave this way again...but your credibility as an honest person is damaged, once you've damaged it.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:03 AM

403 posts, read 597,908 times
I think it's a matter of how selfish the person is or wants to be. The cheating itself was very selfish, but how you act after can be even more selfish. Obviously the right thing to do would let her know and see if she wants to keep on with the relationship. The reality is that most people are selfish and are looking out for their own best interests. If doing the right thing isn't in their best interest, then it's going to be a lot harder for them to do it. So if you don't want to risk a break up more than doing the right thing, then you shouldn't tell. If it really was a moment of weakness and nothing is wrong with the relationship, then you could get by with cheating one time. She has a right to know but you also have a right to choices. Another thing to consider is if you can handle the guilt. Again though, that's being selfish and looking out for your best interests, not hers.

I believe most people who cheat on their spouse will never tell. Why? It's the best of both worlds for them. They get the comfort in a marriage/relationship and the excitement of a fling. Why would they want to ruin that if everything was going fine? Pretty sad since marriage is supposed be about selflessness.

So ask yourself, are you looking out for your best interests, or hers?

Old 04-14-2015, 04:32 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
People can certainly change.

But they can't really expect people they've screwed over (or those who know about their behavior) to find them trustworthy in the wake of major breaches of trust. It's a pretty common consequence that when you have proven yourself to be untrustworthy, there are those who will not, then, trust you.

You may never behave this way again...but your credibility as an honest person is damaged, once you've damaged it.
I agree, if there were vows exchanged. The OP's example indicated a spouse, so I assume there was a serious commitment where vows were exchanged. That makes a difference.

I think that is VERY different from the poster who confessed to "cheating" in high school, like I did, and who is therefore branded a "cheater" for life and deemed forevermore untrustworthy. I think there are a lot of relationships out there where there is assumed exclusivity without any real commitment. In my opinion, if there are no vows, no commitment, you are a free agent. In the eyes of my highschool bf, I cheated. In my mind, I didn't.

It's not always as black and white as a penis slipping into a vagina by mistake. Emotional cheating can be just as devastating and some people consider flirting to be cheating.

Do the same labels "once a cheater always a cheater" apply to the same degree? Are you branded "cheater" and a person of low character if you don't tell your SO about a flirtation you exchanged with the grocery clerk one evening?

What would be the purpose of that?

Old 04-14-2015, 04:36 PM

52 posts, read 30,102 times
You had a boyfriend. You lay on your back for someone else. You cheated. You're a cheat.

Seems pretty black-and-white to me.

And you know it; the waffle about commitment and vows is pure semantics, a cheaters typical attempt to justify their actions and place the blame on other people or circumstances, or as in this case, live in denial. It isn't something that gets washed away with phraseology or time. As I'm sure your ex-boyfriend could vouch for; it will always be yesterday for him, poor sod.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:02 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Whoah that was a wicked fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships