Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 04:29 PM

21 posts, read 29,121 times

Advertisements

My husband and I never seem to have much to talk about. We have a loyal relationship but it seems that only common interests we have are our children. His work requires a lot of travel and if we talk on phone then those are very functional and dull conversations. I don't know if it's just us or this happens to every married couple after spending decades with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 04:36 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
What do you guys do on weekends? Try some new activities together, if only taking a drive and enjoying a walk through nature, or stopping to enjoy scenery. See if you might enjoy learning a new skill together, like taking a photography class. Do you travel together? What are your vacations like?

Old 04-15-2015, 04:40 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What do you guys do on weekends? Try some new activities together, if only taking a drive and enjoying a walk through nature, or stopping to enjoy scenery. See if you might enjoy learning a new skill together, like taking a photography class. Do you travel together? What are your vacations like?
This is what I was thinking. May just be a rut period. Which could mean you need to expand yourselves. Learning a new skill. Cooking together, maybe trying to arrange to travel somewhere together without the kids, if you can. Watch new shows or movies together. Read a book together you both may love. Learn a new language together, etc. Just try to get out of any patterns and do something new.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:43 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Time to stop ignoring yourselves for the kids?

Do you guys ever do anything together away from them that follows your interests?

Old 04-15-2015, 05:04 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
I think it happens to almost everyone.

Anthropologists say humans are serially monogamous by nature, that is several long term relationships is more natural than one lifelong one.

As has occurred over my own life, too.

Marriage is like buying a pair of shoes and never, ever wearing another pair, no matter how much fashions change.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:10 PM

We tried everything but change is only temporary, things get back to routine soon. I just feel like that he has little interest in whatever I say. On other hand, he talks to his mother every other day and listens to every mundane detail. She lives in Asia but he manages all her things from here and visits her twice a year. She has 5 other kids while I have only one husband. Our domestic issues with house, cars, kids, rental property, tax, friends etc seem to fly over his head, he just pretends to hear to be polite but he expects me to take care of everything and not bother him with anything.

He is a good dad, good provider and a good person and we do a lot of things together. It's just that he feels perfectly fine not talking to me for days, not even inquiring about kids, that bothers me. His work is quite stressful but he always finds time for his mother so I guess it is about priorities. Kids and I are not a priority, just a responsibility that has to be taken care of nicely because he is a very contentious person. I have no doubt on his loyality, otherwise it would make some sense. Most people seem to like me and enjoy my company so it's not that I am too boring or dull.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I think it happens to almost everyone.

Anthropologists say humans are serially monogamous by nature, that is several long term relationships is more natural than one lifelong one.

As has occurred over my own life, too.

Marriage is like buying a pair of shoes and never, ever wearing another pair, no matter how much fashions change.
Is it time for us to change the shoes even though that ones we have are comfortable and look nice.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:55 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,323 times
Has he always been quiet and not appear interested in conversation?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:08 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
On the days he doesn't call, do you trade any emails or text messages at all? If there is no contact at all for DAYS, you need to TELL him how that makes you feel when he doesn't call. What if one of you got sick or in an accident?

Sometimes you have to set the expectation.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:00 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,297 times
Go dancing once a week. Maybe you dont really need to talk, just spend time together, that makes for things to talk about later. Put aside a date night where you woo one another and DO something different than how your day went, but how your eyes look or a new drrss, new hairstyle, new physical activity, change it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships