Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 10:10 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yeah and villians or the baddie ..... oh no you are right we are not all like Hugh grant and talk like that Pratt LOL

Now I'm trying to think of a film where you " yanks " LOL are nice and quaint..... Give me a year or so to answer

Oh great so you get your height from Scandinavia and your dazzling good looks and boozing from us Brits .... The best of both worlds indeed
We just recently watched that movie "Legend" it was about those mobster brothers in the London area set in the 60's and 70's. Man, those east end accents were just completely brutal to understand. I read Netflix reviews on that movie and about every other review was people just completely bitching that they couldn't understand a world that they said. LOL, we actually had to put on the closed captioning subtitles and that helped a lot, if it weren't for that we'd have been F'd trying to understand it, it was probably worse than trying to watch Trainspotting, man that was a tough one too. The Scottish accent is tougher than the English accent to understand, at least to American ears, it's like the further you go north in England/UK you go the tougher it gets for us here to understand.

The Irish can be rough as hell too. LOL, I like the Irish accent, it sounds polite to my ears, not so much the cockney accent though. The posh accent is probably the one that Americans can understand the most.

I wonder how us Californians must sound to them. Note, no one here really talks like surfer dudes that you see in movies like Fast times at Ridgemont high, that's a bunch of horseshyt. Just sayin....

Old 05-04-2016, 10:21 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We just recently watched that movie "Legend" it was about those mobster brothers in the London area set in the 60's and 70's. Man, those east end accents were just completely brutal to understand. I read Netflix reviews on that movie and about every other review was people just completely bitching that they couldn't understand a world that they said. LOL, we actually had to put on the closed captioning subtitles and that helped a lot, if it weren't for that we'd have been F'd trying to understand it, it was probably worse than trying to watch Trainspotting, man that was a tough one too. The Scottish accent is tougher than the English accent to understand, at least to American ears, it's like the further you go north in England/UK you go the tougher it gets for us here to understand.

The Irish can be rough as hell too. LOL, I like the Irish accent, it sounds polite to my ears, not so much the cockney accent though. The posh accent is probably the one that Americans can understand the most.

I wonder how us Californians must sound to them. Note, no one here really talks like surfer dudes that you see in movies like Fast times at Ridgemont high, that's a bunch of horseshyt. Just sayin....
Yes well......... That's my accent to the tee proper Cockney ..... I thought I'd have a great time dating in the USA but looks like I'll be translating for the most part

Plus they will think I'm Aussie which would be fun

Hahaha even we can't understand a Scottish one LOL but the worst is Liverpool a Scouse accent you try and understand that I challenge ya

Posh everyone gets and likes that's Hugh grant and Liz Hurley accent very sexy them posh birds.... Us riff raff at the rough end like that

I couldn't tell a Californian accent if they had it tattooed on there head if honest but i can spot a southern " twang " which I think is super sexy I must admit....... I'm not sure if it was a infatuation as I was looking forward to going to Texas and watching big rich Texas and big tips Texas but them Texas women...... 😍💘💖

Old 05-04-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Yes well......... That's my accent to the tee proper Cockney ..... I thought I'd have a great time dating in the USA but looks like I'll be translating for the most part

Plus they will think I'm Aussie which would be fun

Hahaha even we can't understand a Scottish one LOL but the worst is Liverpool a Scouse accent you try and understand that I challenge ya

Posh everyone gets and likes that's Hugh grant and Liz Hurley accent very sexy them posh birds.... Us riff raff at the rough end like that

I couldn't tell a Californian accent if they had it tattooed on there head if honest but i can spot a southern " twang " which I think is super sexy I must admit....... I'm not sure if it was a infatuation as I was looking forward to going to Texas and watching big rich Texas and big tips Texas but them Texas women...... 😍💘💖
I hate to break this to you, but if anyone mistakes a cockney accent for an Aussie accent they need their heads checked.

Yeah, the posh accent is probably the most "neutral" sounding as far as to American ears.

The fact that you can't recognize a Californian accent confirms my suspicions. In this country there are distinct regions and to me the further you go west the further the "accent" become less identifiable, course that's subjective cause an east coaster can tell a west coaster, but east coasters have English accent hangovers from the old days, hence the further you go west that all softens a bit. The further you go north in espeicailly in the Midwest is where you get the scandinaian influence, think the move "Fargo"

The southern accent, IDK, I'm not sure where the F that one comes from. It does sound relaxed and polite and smooth sounding especially when contrasted with some of the more rougher NYC accents and especially the Bonx or even worse the Philadelphia accent is pretty hard to understand. Think the early Rocky movies. The last obvious region is the Boston accent, think Good will Hunting, or the show Cheers, especially the character Cliff Claven.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:42 PM

Here's ol' cockney Magda.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dazSPBwVVwM

Old 05-04-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I hate to break this to you, but if anyone mistakes a cockney accent for an Aussie accent they need their heads checked.

Yeah, the posh accent is probably the most "neutral" sounding as far as to American ears.

The fact that you can't recognize a Californian accent confirms my suspicions. In this country there are distinct regions and to me the further you go west the further the "accent" become less identifiable, course that's subjective cause an east coaster can tell a west coaster, but east coasters have English accent hangovers from the old days, hence the further you go west that all softens a bit. The further you go north in espeicailly in the Midwest is where you get the scandinaian influence, think the move "Fargo"

The southern accent, IDK, I'm not sure where the F that one comes from. It does sound relaxed and polite and smooth sounding especially when contrasted with some of the more rougher NYC accents and especially the Bonx or even worse the Philadelphia accent is pretty hard to understand. Think the early Rocky movies. The last obvious region is the Boston accent, think Good will Hunting, or the show Cheers, especially the character Cliff Claven.
I forgot that I can recognise a NE accent like Boston and nyc and I'm not that keen if honest " dwaaag " ( dog ) LOL.

It's hard to explain as a Brit but it's easy to understand but the tone of it is not for me as such. The Midwest I wouldn't know either its mainly the south and the NE I can identify....

This will make you laugh but to most Brits and including myself wouldn't know the difference between an American accent or a Canadian one...... Except the French candian one of course

It's not meant to be offensive on our part but just ignorance and lack of knowledge on the matter..

The only American accent I struggled with was a North Carolina show called lizard lick towing do you know it?, basically it's a repo show and my namesake bobby brantly is really hard to grasp as he speaks too fast for me.

Oh yes even Artemis was flattered and called a Brit in USA and I heard others say " you will get mistaken for an Aussie " LOL..... It must other parts of the USA?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:45 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaTTVR2JXY

This is an old football player that played for England and Liverpool have fun with the accent

Lovely magda ol Kathy Burke ya don't get more Cockney than that me old China

Old 05-04-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaTTVR2JXY

This is an old football player that played for England and Liverpool have fun with the accent

Lovely magda ol Kathy Burke ya don't get more Cockney than that me old China

He's like Christopher Walken, he doesn't punctate when he speaks. Good lord, what a nightmare.

Buddy, take a breathe and pause once in a while.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
He's like Christopher Walken, he doesn't punctate when he speaks. Good lord, what a nightmare.

Buddy, take a breathe and pause once in a while.
Now I'm English and this is Norse or something mate it's not proper English LOL.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Now I'm English and this is Norse or something mate it's not proper English LOL.

I got about every 4th word or so. LOL....

Old 05-04-2016, 11:18 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
I forgot that I can recognise a NE accent like Boston and nyc and I'm not that keen if honest " dwaaag " ( dog ) LOL.

It's hard to explain as a Brit but it's easy to understand but the tone of it is not for me as such. The Midwest I wouldn't know either its mainly the south and the NE I can identify....

This will make you laugh but to most Brits and including myself wouldn't know the difference between an American accent or a Canadian one...... Except the French candian one of course

It's not meant to be offensive on our part but just ignorance and lack of knowledge on the matter..

The only American accent I struggled with was a North Carolina show called lizard lick towing do you know it?, basically it's a repo show and my namesake bobby brantly is really hard to grasp as he speaks too fast for me.

Oh yes even Artemis was flattered and called a Brit in USA and I heard others say " you will get mistaken for an Aussie " LOL..... It must other parts of the USA?
But can you understand what people say who come from Aberdeen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships