Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 11:41 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm a lazy F... that being said, I'm feeling a gnawing that I need to get back to work. The problem is is that my job stresses me out, big time and that's the part that I'm not looking forward too. The actual work of the job is ok, I don't mind it at all, it's all the periphery stuff that I deal with that gets me. I suppose that's why I made good money was for dealing with the stress portion.
I'm not sure WHAT I am. LOL. I have a good work ethic, will do whatever project around the house that I can handle, hate to ask for help, will help others first, etc., etc., but it's also easy to to put things off. If it's too hot & humid, I probably won't do it. If someone wants to have lunch or needs a babysitter, I'll do that instead.

I've had some tough times that work and projects have helped me get through just by keeping my mind busy. The sense of accomplishment does wonders, too - especially when I do something for the first time or do what I didn't think I could.

The next challenge for me will be to conquer power tools. They are scary to me, but they sure would help . . . The first step is admitting I have an issue with them. The next step is a actually BUY some to learn with! SMH. LOL. (I do have a Craftsman drill, but the battery never did charge well, so I still use a screwdriver - and would Like to drink one on occasion.)

Old 05-29-2016, 11:55 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I'm not sure WHAT I am. LOL. I have a good work ethic, will do whatever project around the house that I can handle, hate to ask for help, will help others first, etc., etc., but it's also easy to to put things off. If it's too hot & humid, I probably won't do it. If someone wants to have lunch or needs a babysitter, I'll do that instead.

I've had some tough times that work and projects have helped me get through just by keeping my mind busy. The sense of accomplishment does wonders, too - especially when I do something for the first time or do what I didn't think I could.

The next challenge for me will be to conquer power tools. They are scary to me, but they sure would help . . . The first step is admitting I have an issue with them. The next step is a actually BUY some to learn with! SMH. LOL. (I do have a Craftsman drill, but the battery never did charge well, so I still use a screwdriver - and would Like to drink one on occasion.)
First use, then drink - if you drink first, and then use, you may not get the results you were hoping for.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:22 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:

YouTube has lots of tutorial vids on just about any subject. It's one of the better things about YouTube are those vids.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:32 PM

Yeah, I need to take advantage of the resources that are available. I just don't have much confidence, because I feel like Charlie Brown - it's normal for things to go wrong or if weird crap is going to happen, it will be me that it happens to. If someone is going to cut off a finger or screw one onto a piece of wood, it will be me.

I have three exterior lights to replace. I have the lights. I know to turn off the power, but I still haven't worked myself up mentally to do it. I picture myself thinking I can, getting half done, then wishing I wouldn't have. * chuckle *

As far as screwdrivers go, I would use the same rule as builders with my own spin: Work once, drink twice.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I need to take advantage of the resources that are available. I just don't have much confidence, because I feel like Charlie Brown - it's normal for things to go wrong or if weird crap is going to happen, it will be me that it happens to. If someone is going to cut off a finger or screw one onto a piece of wood, it will be me.

I have three exterior lights to replace. I have the lights. I know to turn off the power, but I still haven't worked myself up mentally to do it. I picture myself thinking I can, getting half done, then wishing I wouldn't have. * chuckle *

As far as screwdrivers go, I would use the same rule as builders with my own spin: Work once, drink twice.

I'm not a very handy guy around the house, part of it is my laziness. I have a technical background and tend to be a problem solver type. I'm sure I could be more handy, but condo living is different than having a nice garage with a workshop. That's something I'm interested in the future, getting a house with a large garage to do a little tinkering. I'd make a mini man cave out of part of it. Get a fridge out there and a stereo system to jam the heavy metal while I tinker around with things.

I need to get a hammer and figure out what I can bang that mother on.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:24 PM

I have a garage that's small, but you are right, they are nice to have no matter what the size. I need a work bench and storage. What I really want is to find cupboards from a kitchen reno and use them. First, they are an excellent size & have doors to hide all of my valuable crap. Second, I'm too cheap to pay full price for garage storage. Had a friend when I was married who was having custom cupboards in her kitchen and she was going to throw out the old ones. She couldn't believe that I wanted them. I fixed them, painted them, had them downstairs in the utility room. They were excellent for extra canned food. And the countertop that I got cheap (part of a discontinued display in the store) worked for folding laundry.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:43 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
I have a garage that's small, but you are right, they are nice to have no matter what the size. I need a work bench and storage. What I really want is to find cupboards from a kitchen reno and use them. First, they are an excellent size & have doors to hide all of my valuable crap. Second, I'm too cheap to pay full price for garage storage. Had a friend when I was married who was having custom cupboards in her kitchen and she was going to throw out the old ones. She couldn't believe that I wanted them. I fixed them, painted them, had them downstairs in the utility room. They were excellent for extra canned food. And the countertop that I got cheap (part of a discontinued display in the store) worked for folding laundry.
Get the word out to anyone you know who may be planning to reno their kitchen. My ex hub got a bunch of built-in cabinets and wardrobes from a lady who bought a house and wanted to update the look of the place before she moved in. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the cabinets, they just didn't match her taste. Helped that he had a work truck and brought it all over to the house and installed it in the garage. Invaluable storage space, when you live in a postage stamp-sized home.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:05 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
I'm not a very handy guy around the house, part of it is my laziness. I have a technical background and tend to be a problem solver type. I'm sure I could be more handy, but condo living is different than having a nice garage with a workshop. That's something I'm interested in the future, getting a house with a large garage to do a little tinkering. I'd make a mini man cave out of part of it. Get a fridge out there and a stereo system to jam the heavy metal while I tinker around with things.

I need to get a hammer and figure out what I can bang that mother on.
The insulation and paneling helped my garage. Need two small sheds to store stuff. The first one will keep my landscaping equipment and landscape tools.

I then need to hang pegboard in garage to hang tools. I have two rolling chests with tools and another cart that has drawers and two welders.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The insulation and paneling helped my garage. Need two small sheds to store stuff. The first one will keep my landscaping equipment and landscape tools.

I then need to hang pegboard in garage to hang tools. I have two rolling chests with tools and another cart that has drawers and two welders.

I've got some Dwight playing for ya.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
I've got some Dwight playing for ya.
The other day I was playing Waylon, Willie and Johnny Cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships