Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 06:26 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times

Advertisements

I like not have debt. Well, except for the mortgage.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:37 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I like not have debt. Well, except for the mortgage.
Yep... and plus that money you put to credit cards can go to savings and 401k and things of that nature.

The last few yrs I just don't really have any kind of desire for "things"... I don't know what it is... it's just sort of meh.....

All the things I do want are things for the house... new carpet, new blinds, maybe some new closet doors.... but these things are all "practical" and not "fun" stuff...

I guess I'm thankful that my lust for "things" has really subsided to just about zero the last few yrs... I think like I posted before that the feeling of being debt free overrides my lust for material toys and things like that..... I mean I do have some lusts for things, I'd like a new challenger or maybe a motorcyle... but that's just in trying to drag up things that I want... I don't actively think about us getting a challenger... we have talked on here about that before, but it's in the vein of needing a newer car, our car is 18 yrs old now and I just want something newer and more reliable.... so that is a practical thing I suppose.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:37 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
We haven't financed any of our vehicles, I have the one credit card for the business for emergencies, Mr. CSD has the one credit card that he should have never got approved for but he did. Thankfully he does not use it unless he is traveling for a few days like he is this weekend.

When I mentioned a week or so again that my Mother helped us out a wee bit financially.
We had CD's coming up and we had decided not to roll them over because of Mr. CSD's medical expenses.
The problem was those expenses were due 2 weeks before the CD's were up so my Mother floated us a loan for 2 weeks.
When the CD's cashed out she got paid back in full.
I told Mr. CSD we need to prepare better next round with cash flow so we will not have this issue.
We just did not expect him to break his arm so we were not prepared with liquid assets and it wasn't worth the cost to take the CD's early.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:39 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This world works on credit, I'd suggest getting a card using it once a month and paying it off each month.

Unfortuantely that's the world we live in, the world of credit worthiness. You need that **** for job interviews I'm hearing now... I've heard stories of employers running credit checks on potential hires, you need credit for renting cars, hotels, buying property...

I guess cash can work for most situations, but not so much for reserving cars and hotel rooms though...

LOL, I work with a lot of young guys and I try to be the old man and school them up one stuff like credit and things of that nature.
My credit score is fine without credit cards. Probably from paying off all those student loans and multiple houses and vehicles that I have owned.

Plus credit scores aren't going to mean much when the zombie apocalypse breaks out

Old 05-09-2015, 06:40 PM

I am currently sorting and donating so much stuff it is beyond pathetic but it has to be done.

I keep remembering my 3 room 1/2 basement duplex when Mr. CSD first came into my life.
It was a great place, we were happy there and had very little stuff and got along just fine with what we had.
There was a place for everything and everything in it's place. No junk, no clutter, no excessive anything, no duplicate anything.
Now, I can't even tell you what is going on in our home, it is just..........

Old 05-09-2015, 06:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
I put money into another retirement account in addition to the one my employer provides. I have been paying into the employer plan for 14 1/2 years. In 18 years I'll be eligible to retire.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:47 PM

I knew the day would not be complete without expanding my ignore list again.

SD, I like your location....

Old 05-09-2015, 06:48 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We haven't financed any of our vehicles, I have the one credit card for the business for emergencies, Mr. CSD has the one credit card that he should have never got approved for but he did. Thankfully he does not use it unless he is traveling for a few days like he is this weekend.

When I mentioned a week or so again that my Mother helped us out a wee bit financially.
We had CD's coming up and we had decided not to roll them over because of Mr. CSD's medical expenses.
The problem was those expenses were due 2 weeks before the CD's were up so my Mother floated us a loan for 2 weeks.
When the CD's cashed out she got paid back in full.
I told Mr. CSD we need to prepare better next round with cash flow so we will not have this issue.
We just did not expect him to break his arm so we were not prepared with liquid assets and it wasn't worth the cost to take the CD's early.
I was just talking to our electrical sub contractor today, ( I had to work earlier today) he was talking about cash flow issues, he's got 5 dudes working for him he was telling me that he's 50k in the hole right now, til he gets paid, our company pays him in net45 but a lot of companies push that out to 90 plus days, that's rough to carry that debt for all that time til you get paid....

Running a business for yourself can be tough and I don't have much desire to do it... I did see an ad one time that runs in the websites that cater to my industry and they wanted a guy to freelance and do some work and just doing something over a weekend and they were offering 4000 bucks for 2 days worth of work...... damn... sure sounded good... but again.. all the pains of being an independent contractor doesn't appeal to me...... LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
My credit score is fine without credit cards. Probably from paying off all those student loans and multiple houses and vehicles that I have owned.

Plus credit scores aren't going to mean much when the zombie apocalypse breaks out
True... credit doesn't mean much when the real source of currency is human brains.....

Old 05-09-2015, 06:51 PM

Chow honestly we never had the issue before but again we had no idea Mr. CSD was going to get hurt then the big surprise came when his simple broken arm is not simple at all. It is a major injury and took a lot to fix and it still isn't completely done.

We are going to try and get the surgery scheduled for May 18, 2015 which will be one year from the day he got injured.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:51 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,191 times
I got my first job when I was 13 or 14. Cleaning up trash on construction sites. Then I started cooking in restaurants not long after. Just paid under the table. But a friend's dad who was a pretty successful businessman taught me a lesson at that young age that I never forgot. Always pay yourself first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships