Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 03:45 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,811 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about HVAC this week, strangely, as I am not in the business, but we are about to get a new IKEA that is 380,000 square feet. The 6th largest IKEA store in the US. I thought that is going to be a pain in the ass to cool in hot St. Louis summers. It does have a 259,000 square foot solar array on the roof though so I guess that will help offset some costs.

I can imagine the amount of planning that went into all of that though.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Do men always mow or do yard work when they cannot fix something for someone else or get frustrated with a situation they cannot fix or change?

Old 09-12-2015, 04:21 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I finally have some downtime!

CHOW!!! Read back a few pages. How is the life of leisure treating you? I just got back from a few months off...glad to be back but also really happy to have that chunk of sanity every summer. I don't think I could ever work traditional hours again. I need those breaks.

CD...what happened to you? I read back a few pages but haven't gotten that far back yet. Are you okay?
Been a while since you have visited. Welcome back. My life has taken an upturn for once.

Like you, I'm teaching students this semester. Loving it so far.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:31 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
See I knew teachers have their favorites!

How are your kids doing? What grade is your oldest now?

This sunny day took a turn burr!
LOL, well I wouldn't say favorite, but there are definitely some kids that you connect with much more than others. I usually sway towards the kids that are genuinely sweet but have behavior issues and they seem to gravitate towards me. Well, they just usually get placed with me...I guess for that reason.

Kids are doing well...oldest (boy) is now a junior which is kind of crazy. Youngest is in his last year at the elementary school. After this year, I won't have any of my kids at my school which is kind of sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL... sorry you guys had some grief with the ac system.

If things are done right, you actually shouldn't really even be aware of the air conditioning system.

You shouldn't feel too many drafts, shouldn't hear too much noise from the duct work.... again if the designers do their math right and the installation and checkout it done right.....

LOL, that is the metric that is typically used.

I'll walk into commercial buildings and little things like when you walk in and open the door to the building and get a blast of air in your face the system isn't moving the correct amount of air into the space, or warm or cool spots....

LOL, I'm a nerd like that, I notice stuff like than when I'm not even at work.....
You would have a field day here! We only have hot rooms or cold rooms...nothing is a comfortable temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Do men always mow or do yard work when they cannot fix something for someone else or get frustrated with a situation they cannot fix or change?
Don't know, but if that's the case my husband must go through that a lot. The man does not sit still...ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Been a while since you have visited. Welcome back. My life has taken an upturn for once.

Like you, I'm teaching students this semester. Loving it so far.
I bet your students don't take 5 million potty breaks during the day or chuck erasers across the room and call eachother buttholes?

Old 09-12-2015, 07:52 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:

I bet your students don't take 5 million potty breaks during the day or chuck erasers across the room and call eachother buttholes?
Wanna bet? That's my average day.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:04 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Wanna bet? That's my average day.
LOL, you would think adults would behave a little better.

I had a child, we'll call him Joe, come to me the other day and said "Mrs. Sixy...Bobby said the "d" word". To an 8yr old, the "d" word is usually "dumb" or "damn". So I always ask for the second letter and he says "i". So I call Bobby over and ask him what he said. He is almost in tears and shouts loud enough for everyone to hear "I didn't say DICK!" (rhymes with Flick) and the other child responds..."I didn't say you did...you said dang!!!

Lesson: Make sure they actually know how to spell BEFORE you ask for the second letter

Edit: wow, I didn't think it would actually print that word! lol

Old 09-12-2015, 08:51 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
I was thinking about HVAC this week, strangely, as I am not in the business, but we are about to get a new IKEA that is 380,000 square feet. The 6th largest IKEA store in the US. I thought that is going to be a pain in the ass to cool in hot St. Louis summers. It does have a 259,000 square foot solar array on the roof though so I guess that will help offset some costs.

I can imagine the amount of planning that went into all of that though.
Yeah, HVAC systems in commercial blding can vary so much in terms of design that it can become a rather dry topic to talk about to anyone that is't in the biz... LOL..

Yeah, just know that in terms of keeping people happy, large open spaces, particularly spaces with high ceilings can be a challenge to control and deal with.

Smaller more marked off spaces typically called "zones" are much easier to regulate and manage from the building automation side of the house.... Large HVAC systems are typically controlled by computer systems called EMS or BAS systems and that's where my specialty in the HVAC field lies, the programming and managing of the overall systems.....

The HVAC industry isn't particularly glamourous but it is actually pretty varied and most lay people just tend to think of it being their home AC unit, but that is just one small tip of the total iceberg.

I have a pretty good idea of what the Ikea system consists of and yeah, to deal with all of the "total heat" load of a space like that and to deal with humidity can be an expensive deal.

Another factor that a lot of people don't understand is is that in order to avoid "sick building" system those same systems must take in certain amount of outside air and that can drive up costs, obviously as cooling pure outside air is pretty damn expensive in terms of the building owners costs.

Now a days with LEED and "green" buildings our whole industry along with a serious of government mandates is really changing how this industry works.

One of the job I might pursue a positions called "commissioning agent" these are people that because of all of the government mandates for "greener" buildings a whole industry in the HVAC industry sprouting up is call third party commissioning, meaning that as buildings of certain size are built ,the HVAC, lighting and electrical systems must be "commissioned" and checked out to be functioning per specs designs...

I'm thinking of getting a job doing that, coming in while a building is in the final stages and verifying with the contractors that the systems are put in per design, etc etc ...

The last time I worked with a commission agent he was this green kid and didn't have a clue what the **** he was doing, I actually had to sit down with him and tell him the things that he's supposed to be "testing" me on... LOL...

It was a joke, but a nice place to be in terms of understanding the business.

At this point I'm sure your thinking... I just asked the time bud, not how to build a watch.....

Old 09-12-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
And I bet you don't have freshmen girls trying to flirt their way to a higher grade. I'm having to deal with a lot of that.

Seriously, kids do that these days in school. I never experienced that level of indiscipline in 4th grade. Then again, this was in long island, not NC.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:22 AM

It's 69 indoors and I am freezing. My blood has thinned out after a long & hot summer. Unusually cold nights here.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:33 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,811 times
I don't sleep more than 4-5 hours usually, but I just slept for 12 hours and I feel like I'm in a walking coma

I think I might go to the Arch and see how the construction is coming along. They are redoing the Arch grounds for those that have no idea what I am talking about.

Standby for pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships