Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 07:20 PM

52,063 posts, read 52,503,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Chow, will they pay mileage? At least it would be deductible. I am thankful I have a company car for my travels.

Yeah, typically, I think it's a state law thing that they have to pay mileage. I've always had company vehicles in the past so having to drive around to various projects with my own car is gonna suck at least wear and tear wise. I'm hoping with the mileage rate at least I won't lose out. This is making me think I should ****can the Challenger and go with a MINI or something similar, just for the gas usage.

Some companies give you X amount of money plus mileage, some companies give you a credit card for your gas... I suppose it just depends on what the company does.

I'm hoping that they give me X amount plus mileage. The problem with giving you a lump of money is that you are taxed on it... so it can boost you're taxable income.

My last company used to give the sales team 500 or so bucks a month plus mileage, I think... I can't recall.... but like I said you're taxed on it so it's not such a great deal money wise.

Some guys had 600 hundred a month car payments and that doesn't even cover that... So IDK...

Old 09-23-2015, 07:32 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,773,961 times
I used to know this guy at the bar that traveled into St. Louis all the time. Real nice guy and he was always buying a round, and the bartenders I knew always told me he was a big tipper. Well after I got to know him I found out this was because he got $150 a day from his company for food which he spent at the bar, but I always wondered if he got taxed on that.

I wouldn't mind some travel, but like Chow said the estimate is rarely accurate. Add 20%.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
I used to know this guy at the bar that traveled into St. Louis all the time. Real nice guy and he was always buying a round, and the bartenders I knew always told me he was a big tipper. Well after I got to know him I found out this was because he got $150 a day from his company for food which he spent at the bar, but I always wondered if he got taxed on that.

I wouldn't mind some travel, but like Chow said the estimate is rarely accurate. Add 20%.
IDK... I would think if he's given that money upfront he may well be taxed on it.

Typically when you just pay for your own expenses and submit receipts to get paid back you should be taxed on that....

I think there's a lot of legal maneuvering in how they do those sorts of things. I know the sales team would take out people and lube them up, so I wonder how all of that worked.....

Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,701,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, typically, I think it's a state law thing that they have to pay mileage. I've always had company vehicles in the past so having to drive around to various projects with my own car is gonna suck at least wear and tear wise. I'm hoping with the mileage rate at least I won't lose out. This is making me think I should ****can the Challenger and go with a MINI or something similar, just for the gas usage.

Some companies give you X amount of money plus mileage, some companies give you a credit card for your gas... I suppose it just depends on what the company does.

I'm hoping that they give me X amount plus mileage. The problem with giving you a lump of money is that you are taxed on it... so it can boost you're taxable income.

My last company used to give the sales team 500 or so bucks a month plus mileage, I think... I can't recall.... but like I said you're taxed on it so it's not such a great deal money wise.

Some guys had 600 hundred a month car payments and that doesn't even cover that... So IDK...
With buying the house it is 27 miles to work. So 54 miles round trip a day. I am given per diem, which is essentially gas money.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
With buying the house it is 27 miles to work. So 54 miles round trip a day. I am given per diem, which is essentially gas money.
That's a hike. Here they have their own gas stations where I am assuming you need a special card to use.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
That's a hike. Here they have their own gas stations where I am assuming you need a special card to use.
Not for my own ride. There is a gas station a mile from my house. Just keep an eye on the gas gauge.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:

LOL, that's isn't anything, that's enough time to put on the radio, sit back, relax, drink some coffee and get ready.

One of the last projects I was on was 88 miles door to door..... that drive sucked....

This very last project I was on was about 5 miles away.... LOL... it's the nature of that business, got to go where the projects are located.

I got really lucky drive wise on the last project. The last project was the biggest nightmare I was ever on in my 23 yrs experience.... it along with a few other things is what just made me crack and just say **** it... I'm gone.... couldn't take it anymore. I took the project to 99 percent and the last time I talked to the project manager he told me that they were still waiting for other contractors to finish their work, they had to finish for us to be able to go in and finish that last 1 or 2 percent that was outstanding.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:04 PM

88 miles? That's crazy

My last job I rolled out of bed, threw a poptart in the toaster, and bam! I'm here. Excuse my attire.

Last edited by BioMechanical; 09-23-2015 at 08:14 PM..

Old 09-23-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
88 miles? That's crazy
Yeah, no doubt, it would take 2hrs sometimes, or more depending on traffic.

Mags I believe said he's only like 10 minutes from work.... must be nice. I've been a field engineer type for a long time and like I said, you have to go to the jobsites.

It wouldn't be all of the time, usually when you first start a project you are in the office working on the programming for it and reviewing plans, etc etc.

When the job would go full swing then I'd be out there til it was over.

The office was about 25 miles or so door to door, so when SD said he had a 27 mile drive, I was like, well, my drive could be 25 miles or more or less depending on what stage the project is in and where the project is located.

They did a pretty good job overall in keeping you within about 35 miles or so from home. The 88 mile project was sort of a fluke.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:21 PM

My drive is easy, except when the weather is bad. Once I'm on the interstate I set the cruise and roll on down the road. Never mind the weekends when it is 1,100 miles.

I'd love to work from home. Pants being optional would be dandy. Oh and having to shave every day gets old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.