Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 11:12 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times

Advertisements

Think I might have to " get with it " and start watching it!!!!

But not tonight 🍻🍻🍻

Old 10-26-2015, 11:44 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Well, I am done with that project. Now, I am attempting to winterize the irrigation system.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:54 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post

But not tonight ������

You know, if you've NOT watched it, I do highly recommend it -- for story. And from the beginning.

The series, like all series, has had ups and downs, some episodes bristling with brilliance, others falling a tad flat but still contributing overall to the ongoing tale.

Where I believe non-followers fail to be interested is with the concept of zombies. Too unreal, just undermines the whole post-apocalyptic scenario for any half-hearted skeptic; and in a way I think I can see that, really understand it. It's not only unrealistic (aaaargh, the eaters of living flesh... braaaiiiinnnns, that whole shtick) but has been done nearly to death in the "lone biker of the apocalypse" vein.

But beyond the first season the grotesquerie nearly dies out and the zombie hordes are no longer a thing of shock value -- not because they lose their genre-based oomph, or because one becomes gradually inured; rather, even the show moves from presenting them as creatures of horror to presenting them as a condition of the end of civilization, a condition which must be dealt with on a very recognized basis.

The story becomes a tale about people, good and bad, simply set within the parameters of said condition.

Some of the characters are caricature, whether imago or cartoon. At times I continue through bad episodes, knowing there will be more on the other side. They can't all be winners.

And when it come to characters, the logical, reasoning mind repeatedly asks the question, why can't we all just get along and fight the zombies, try to set our little slice of the world straight?

But just as with the real world, the logical, reasoning mind must accept that with ten great people trying to do good, it really only requires one solid arse hole to muck it all up, ruin it for everyone. Ten do-gooders plus one real jerk = this is why we can't have nice things. It does so in real life, where stupid cannot be cured; thus it's less of a stretch when looking at an imaginary realm where zombies must be faced.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:04 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
You know, if you've NOT watched it, I do highly recommend it -- for story. And from the beginning.

The series, like all series, has had ups and downs, some episodes bristling with brilliance, others falling a tad flat but still contributing overall to the ongoing tale.

Where I believe non-followers fail to be interested is with the concept of zombies. Too unreal, just undermines the whole post-apocalyptic scenario for any half-hearted skeptic; and in a way I think I can see that, really understand it. It's not only unrealistic (aaaargh, the eaters of living flesh... braaaiiiinnnns, that whole shtick) but has been done nearly to death in the "lone biker of the apocalypse" vein.

But beyond the first season the grotesquerie nearly dies out and the zombie hordes are no longer a thing of shock value -- not because they lose their genre-based oomph, or because one becomes gradually inured; rather, even the show moves from presenting them as creatures of horror to presenting them as a condition of the end of civilization, a condition which must be dealt with on a very recognized basis.

The story becomes a tale about people, good and bad, simply set within the parameters of said condition.

Some of the characters are caricature, whether imago or cartoon. At times I continue through bad episodes, knowing there will be more on the other side. They can't all be winners.

And when it come to characters, the logical, reasoning mind repeatedly asks the question, why can't we all just get along and fight the zombies, try to set our little slice of the world straight?

But just as with the real world, the logical, reasoning mind must accept that with ten great people trying to do good, it really only requires one solid arse hole to muck it all up, ruin it for everyone. Ten do-gooders plus one real jerk = this is why we can't have nice things. It does so in real life, where stupid cannot be cured; thus it's less of a stretch when looking at an imaginary realm where zombies must be faced.
It really is just a story about people and their bonds and struggles to survive... like you mentioned the zombie apocalypse is just a vehicle for all of that stuff.

The things is is that the humans are scary and much more deadly than the zombies... like that last episode when the wolves enter into Alexandria, or whatever they are calling it... those guys were much scarier than the zombies... or the terminus guys.... that last season opener when they were on their knees and all lined up at the trough.... man that was some seriously heinous stuff and I was almost turned off to the show.... it really pushed the boundaries... they show the guy in the background slightly twirling the bat around and you get a sickening in your stomache when it dawns on you what is about to happen.... grisly stuff, again much more terrifying than the zombies...

Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It really is just a story about people and their bonds and struggles to survive... like you mentioned the zombie apocalypse is just a vehicle for all of that stuff.

The things is is that the humans are scary and much more deadly than the zombies... like that last episode when the wolves enter into Alexandria, or whatever they are calling it... those guys were much scarier than the zombies... or the terminus guys.... that last season opener when they were on their knees and all lined up at the trough.... man that was some seriously heinous stuff and I was almost turned off to the show.... it really pushed the boundaries... they show the guy in the background slightly twirling the bat around and you get a sickening in your stomache when it dawns on you what is about to happen.... grisly stuff, again much more terrifying than the zombies...

A prepper group to which I belong did a thing for a while where scenarios were presented. A guy had purchased a pack of cards containing questions and sub-questions for consideration, and once a week the guy would post the questions to the group.

What really, really bothered me was the simplicity of many answers. I generally waited until several people had answers before I did, and the ridiculous ease with which some responded in grisly ways disturbed me. It's NOT that I believe in pursuing moral high ground; rather, I believe in fostering civilization and cooperation where possible, but understand (in a way that still brings me to tears on occasion, in private) that some people have no intention of cooperating, of contributing, of viewing any greater good which does not directly serve them in a very decisive way.

In an isolated community of ten households, with nowhere else to go, there will always be someone who will still attempt to steal a horse, never considering for even a second that the horse MUST eventually be in plain sight in order to be of any use, and things just going into domino effect from there. It boggles my mind, yet it remains a not-insignificant portion of human nature to be not only selfish, but ridiculously so.

We see it in relationships, we see it in society at large -- and we'd see it in survival situations. One person who clearly needs everyone around them in order to survive would still try to hog food and create enmity while striving, actually striving to contribute little.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
A prepper group to which I belong did a thing for a while where scenarios were presented. A guy had purchased a pack of cards containing questions and sub-questions for consideration, and once a week the guy would post the questions to the group.

What really, really bothered me was the simplicity of many answers. I generally waited until several people had answers before I did, and the ridiculous ease with which some responded in grisly ways disturbed me. It's NOT that I believe in pursuing moral high ground; rather, I believe in fostering civilization and cooperation where possible, but understand (in a way that still brings me to tears on occasion, in private) that some people have no intention of cooperating, of contributing, of viewing any greater good which does not directly serve them in a very decisive way.

In an isolated community of ten households, with nowhere else to go, there will always be someone who will still attempt to steal a horse, never considering for even a second that the horse MUST eventually be in plain sight in order to be of any use, and things just going into domino effect from there. It boggles my mind, yet it remains a not-insignificant portion of human nature to be not only selfish, but ridiculously so.

We see it in relationships, we see it in society at large -- and we'd see it in survival situations. One person who clearly needs everyone around them in order to survive would still try to hog food and create enmity while striving, actually striving to contribute little.
Yeah, I get what you're saying.... and it is sad, but I think for the most part those people are somewhat a minority, the hoarder/thief/cheating types... I have a fairly dim view of humanity, especially the older I get, but I think I have moments of clarity at times and can see that when push comes to shove, most people step up and "do the right thing"

Am I viewing the world with rosy glasses.... maybe, but I hope not.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:14 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Pretty sure it will be short lived. Been in the house for six months I've yet to set up the surround sound. I have a couple more projects for the family room. Also want to build a new mantle for the fireplace. Thinking of trying to find some rough sawn wood that is 2" true instead of nominal dimensions.

I set up the iMac and my productivity has gone way down.
We've been in our house for 10yrs and there's still stuff to do! It's never-ending!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post

But not tonight 🍻🍻🍻
I don't watch it either...actually, I don't really watch shows on TV. In the teacher's lounge they'll all start talking about their shows and I'm like "sooooo...did anyone see the baseball game last night???" followed by crickets. I was shocked to see Pennington (infielder) pitch...HOW do you run out of pitchers in the MLB?

Old 10-26-2015, 05:20 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
This is the second house I have owned. It is never ending. I landscaped the back yard at my old house, then took the transfer. Took me eight years to figure it out.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:39 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Loving Supergirl.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:34 PM

we watched a documentary about John Denver..... He really seemed like a nice genuine guy..... I know that is the image that he portrayed.... wholesome, good old fashioned middle America family values type of guy... but he really did seem like a cool guy.

It was a PBS documentary and they did a really good job of it... apparently he was pretty big in the UK... he was more popular there first, before he hit it big here in America....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships