Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 01:39 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,517,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's funny cause I work in an industry that has PE's all the way down to just guys that got technical experience in the navy or army.

I gotta say.. I'm not really impressed with guys that have 4 yrs degrees... I just don't see a big difference in quality... I've got a basic 2 yr degree (AA) myself and I've been in various positions in my industry and to be honest with you, the guys that were the smartest and best were the guys we got with technical training from the service... the guys with 4 yr degrees...meh... not so much... it was really the techie training and military background that I've consistently been more impressed with... I'm talking 23 plus yrs experience here... I don't have any issue with guys going to school and getting their bachor's degree... good stuff... but I gotta say overall..... not overly impressed... truth be told...

This is specific to the HVAC industry.. so I can't say across the board for other industries...... just my experience.. and I really don't have an axe to grind either way.... LOL

I've been involved with training, hiring, mentoring and interviewing people new to my industry... so that is the framework from which I'm talking... again... YMMV....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Honestly, I think in some cases a 2-year degree can leave you more prepared for the working world than a 4-year, particularly when the 2-year program is geared toward students who intended to straight to work after graduation.
I didn't realise there was a 2 year degree ( except masters of course )

I thought it was a 3 year program for a first degree?

Old 10-30-2015, 01:43 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Jarhead haircut?
Negative, chap.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Negative, chap.
That's an affirmative sir!! Over and out! :

Old 10-30-2015, 05:10 PM

52,191 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
I didn't realise there was a 2 year degree ( except masters of course )

I thought it was a 3 year program for a first degree?
Meh... I don't much credence into degrees.... I respect the hell out of lifelong learning.... but I just don't get the "I sat in a class regurgitated **** back to some intuitional instructor got my degree sort of mentality"..

We used to call them "data dumps"

One of my supervisors at work, I've worked with him over the yrs now, probably 20 yrs... one of the smartest men I've ever met, period... smart as ****.... the only formal education he had was going through the military technical training.... I mean work industry new product type of training too...

But yeah.... I highly value self taught guys, people, I should say... people that never stop learning, reading, being curious, all of that.

Formal education... yeah.. I get it... but whatever.... not impressed... like I said here in the past... I've mentored young guys at work, sat in in interviews, been part of that side of the house and seeing that... IDK... I'm more of a what can you do now kind of guy... Yeah, I get that you went to school... all that shyt does is prepare you for NOW.... what can you do now... can you solve that problem in front of you, can you think outside the box.

Formal education doesn't always prepare people for life.....

Mrs. Mathlete, I know you're going to school right now... I'm rooting for you to finish, and my comments here isn't a jab at you,... having kids, doing the family thing and still working on your education is highly commendable.. so don't take my comments here in a negative way.

I've just been in the workforce so long that I'm sort of disconnected from school, if that makes sense.... I just have been buried with deadlines and pressure so long that school doesn't impress me...

Course this is when I had a job... LOL... I'm a jobless guy right now... LOL, although next week is when I start to research companies, get my resume together, things like that...

Old 10-30-2015, 05:22 PM

Yeah chow I think onsite experience is much better myself but a lot of companies LOVE the piece of paper if you know what I mean?

I have been looking into a the idea of a career change ( at some point not now ) IT networking ( Cisco ) I've thought of and have actually asked a few on here for their opinions and in general they think that experience and professional Certs are MORE valuable than an actual degree!. And as its predominantly office based I thought degrees were essential.

Chow what do you do? I googled hvac earlier and got both engineers and air conditioning!!

Again ms m I really do hold great respect you for studying ( as well as working and raising a family ) and am actually impressed with the Americans drive in study and education in general.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah chow I think onsite experience is much better myself but a lot of companies LOVE the piece of paper if you know what I mean?

I have been looking into a the idea of a career change ( at some point not now ) IT networking ( Cisco ) I've thought of and have actually asked a few on here for their opinions and in general they think that experience and professional Certs are MORE valuable than an actual degree!. And as its predominantly office based I thought degrees were essential.

Chow what do you do? I googled hvac earlier and got both engineers and air conditioning!!

Again ms m I really do hold great respect you for studying ( as well as working and raising a family ) and am actually impressed with the Americans drive in study and education in general.
In the IT biz certs are the way to go... that is one field that no one give a F about degrees... as it's so fast moving, it doesn't mean anything. Network/server side is where there's more money, desktop support is the typical entry level jobs for IT support positions. I know about this because I have to interact with IT support staff in getting our systems online.

The HVAC field is vast and wide (that's what she said) my part was that in large commercial building that have what are called Energy Management systems. Basically all the energy uses of a large building is controlled and managed by computers... lighting, air conditioning, security systems, fire detection.

My job was to write the computer programs to control all of that stuff and to get systems setup as new building were being commissioned.... Green buildings, "leed", these are newer terms that are getting thrown around ,but basically it's making better use of energy in a given space. Efficient energy usage is the new thing that is being touted in America and other continents for that matter.

There are tons and tons of people from Architects down to duct work installers that work in the construction industry, HVAC is just one part of a building's design criteria.

You asked for the time and I told you how to build a clock.

Sorry for that.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
Quote:

Mrs. Mathlete, I know you're going to school right now... I'm rooting for you to finish, and my comments here isn't a jab at you,... having kids, doing the family thing and still working on your education is highly commendable.. so don't take my comments here in a negative way.

I've just been in the workforce so long that I'm sort of disconnected from school, if that makes sense.... I just have been buried with deadlines and pressure so long that school doesn't impress me...

Course this is when I had a job... LOL... I'm a jobless guy right now... LOL, although next week is when I start to research companies, get my resume together, things like that...
No worries, I didn't take it that way. Honestly, now that I'm almost done I kind of wish I had stopped after I finished my 2 year, but I had it set in my head that I "needed" a 4 year so I wouldn't feel like a dolt. But that was me and my insecurity.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
No worries, I didn't take it that way. Honestly, now that I'm almost done I kind of wish I had stopped after I finished my 2 year, but I had it set in my head that I "needed" a 4 year so I wouldn't feel like a dolt. But that was me and my insecurity.
Some jobs you just have to have a Bachelor's... no ifs ands or butts about it....... I think accounting is like that... Is that what you're studying???

Old 10-30-2015, 05:53 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times
Some jobs a 4 year or even a masters degree is needed. I guess a 4 year versus a 2 year degree separate the bookkeepers from the accountants. Strictly my opinion.

Many employers use a degree to screen an applicant pool. You may not need a degree to do the job but it culls the low hanging fruit.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
In the IT biz certs are the way to go... that is one field that no one give a F about degrees... as it's so fast moving, it doesn't mean anything. Network/server side is where there's more money, desktop support is the typical entry level jobs for IT support positions. I know about this because I have to interact with IT support staff in getting our systems online.

The HVAC field is vast and wide (that's what she said) my part was that in large commercial building that have what are called Energy Management systems. Basically all the energy uses of a large building is controlled and managed by computers... lighting, air conditioning, security systems, fire detection.

My job was to write the computer programs to control all of that stuff and to get systems setup as new building were being commissioned.... Green buildings, "leed", these are newer terms that are getting thrown around ,but basically it's making better use of energy in a given space. Efficient energy usage is the new thing that is being touted in America and other continents for that matter.

There are tons and tons of people from Architects down to duct work installers that work in the construction industry, HVAC is just one part of a building's design criteria.

You asked for the time and I told you how to build a clock.

Sorry for that.

Vast and wide!!!

Yes I could bore you for days about what other options for career change I'm trying to decide on but!!!! as you've just taught me how to build an entire skyscraper from the bottom up in such a short time I don't think I'll " insult " you.... .

No seriously chow that's a pukka ( great ) job mate sounds hugely important and am quite familiar with the construction part

Honestly I appreciate any advice on the above

What you up to tonight? I had my Friday night last night instead

Last edited by Londoncowboy30; 10-30-2015 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.