Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 09:31 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well, got the official word earlier today that they want me to fly up to Sacramento. I was wondering if that was just bluster but apparently it's not. He originally said two days, now he wants to do three days. How's that for nerve wracking a three day interview. LOL... well, actually part of it for me to work with his guys and go to projects and actually get my hands in there and see what they do.

Should be interesting, never been up to that part of the state before. I can only assume if I don't completely blow it those guys are gonna offer me a position. I'm just afraid they won't pay me enough money. There's enough of a difference between this position and my last job to sort of say I'm new, not entirely but there is definitely gaps in my skill set of things that I haven't done before.

I'm thinking if they can get close enough I should just go for it. I don't have a lot of other leads going right now, so less money is better than no money coming in.....
I thought you would agree it up front chow? The money i mean, will they pay you on a salary or a contract ( per hour/day rate )?

And your right mate anythings better than nothing mate

Old 01-22-2016, 09:50 PM

52,199 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I thought you would agree it up front chow? The money i mean, will they pay you on a salary or a contract ( per hour/day rate )?

And your right mate anythings better than nothing mate
Yeah, we didn't get into those details, When I met with him when he was down here on the jobsite yesterday he sent me an email with all of the particulars including how much money he'd pay me for that day. With this trip they are gonna cover all my expenses, plane fare, hotel, rental car, food, the whole nine yards and truth be told if doesn't pay me for my time that's fine, as this whole thing is some good learning experiences so what the heck, if he does pay for me for being on a jobsite then all the better, but at this point if it doesn't cost me anything out of my pocket then what's there to lose... It's not like I'm taking off work from an existing job I have right now and gonna miss my salary for three days. I ain't got a salary right now so what the heck......

I mean they haven't offered me a job yet, so when we get to that point we'll have to see how that goes. This "interview" stuff is separate from that.

Last edited by Chowhound; 01-22-2016 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we didn't get into those details, When I met with him when he was down here on the jobsite yesterday he sent me an email with all of the particulars including how much money he'd pay me for that day. With this trip they are gonna cover all my expenses, plane fare, hotel, rental car, food, the whole nine yards and truth be told if doesn't pay me for my time that's fine, as this whole thing is some good learning experiences so what the heck, if he does pay for me for being on a jobsite then all the better, but at this point if it doesn't cost me anything out of my pocket then what's there to lose... It's not like I'm taking off work from an existing job I have right now and gonna miss my salary for three days. I ain't got a salary right now so what the heck......

I mean they haven't offered me a job yet, so when we get to that point we'll have to see how that goes. This "interview" stuff is separate from that.
Infact you may have done yourself some good with this mate ...........

I think the fact you haven't actually talked about money or more importantly YOU haven't brought it up will work well for you, simply because you look extremely keen and just wanting to get stuck in with some graft

I'm certain you've got the job or at least he will offer you it, as he's throwing out the red carpet treatment

Honestly my industry they don't even buy you a cup of tea!!! LOL

Old 01-22-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Infact you may have done yourself some good with this mate ...........

I think the fact you haven't actually talked about money or more importantly YOU haven't brought it up will work well for you, simply because you look extremely keen and just wanting to get stuck in with some graft

I'm certain you've got the job or at least he will offer you it, as he's throwing out the red carpet treatment

Honestly my industry they don't even buy you a cup of tea!!! LOL
Yeah, I was talking to Mrs. Chow and I can't imagine that they'd go through all of these hoops without a pretty good chance of them wanting to bring me onboard, just doesn't make any sense.

A guy I worked with my from last job is actually in this position I want he's with another company and has been doing it for a few yrs now and he was telling me that he likes the job but unfortunately for him he's traveling for most his projects, to places like Kuwait . I feel bad for the guy cause this company I'm interviewing with they are gonna keep me in the LA area, for the most part, I might have to go to San Diego once in a while and I have to fly up to Sacramento a couple three times a yr but that's no big deal. I'm thinking once I get with this company and if they start to expand and need more LA guys I'm gonna see if I can bring this guy aboard. He's a good dude and it would be good for him to be closer to home. He was telling me his wife isn't happy with all of the traveling he has to do.

Thinking a bit down the road here, as I don't even have the job yet LOL....

Old 01-22-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I was talking to Mrs. Chow and I can't imagine that they'd go through all of these hoops without a pretty good chance of them wanting to bring me onboard, just doesn't make any sense.

A guy I worked with my from last job is actually in this position I want he's with another company and has been doing it for a few yrs now and he was telling me that he likes the job but unfortunately for him he's traveling for most his projects, to places like Kuwait . I feel bad for the guy cause this company I'm interviewing with they are gonna keep me in the LA area, for the most part, I might have to go to San Diego once in a while and I have to fly up to Sacramento a couple three times a yr but that's no big deal. I'm thinking once I get with this company and if they start to expand and need more LA guys I'm gonna see if I can bring this guy aboard. He's a good dude and it would be good for him to be closer to home. He was telling me his wife isn't happy with all of the traveling he has to do.

Thinking a bit down the road here, as I don't even have the job yet LOL....
No that's good I'm the same I've already got my mate with me on Monday and I've not even started yet!

See as a single man I'd LOVE to travel for work but the strain it causes with marriage and couples........ Nah can't do it myself.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:15 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
The job I had the lieutenant said I would not be required to travel for me job. The first year of my job I was gone for an equivalent of a month. The years after that, a couple days here, a couple days there. Now it will be another two weeks. I don't mind it so much, however, there are other things I could be doing.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The job I had the lieutenant said I would not be required to travel for me job. The first year of my job I was gone for an equivalent of a month. The years after that, a couple days here, a couple days there. Now it will be another two weeks. I don't mind it so much, however, there are other things I could be doing.
Yeah, traveling for work sucks. I really don't want to do much of it. This new position I want a lot of companies that I saw with job openings online most of them listed some travel, some said 25%, which is probably BS, probably more like 50% and I saw a couple that said 100% travel required, I didn't even bother with those ones.

Supposedly the travel with this company I'm interviewing with is supposed to just be the LA area with trips up to Sacramento 3 times a yr. I can handle that, that's no too bad, but to be gone all of the time would suck. I mean you work all day and then do what, sit in the hotel room at night??? Sounds lonely and depressing to me. Like I said a little of that is ok, but not full time.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:01 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Yeah, traveling for work sucks. I really don't want to do much of it. This new position I want a lot of companies that I saw with job openings online most of them listed some travel, some said 25%, which is probably BS, probably more like 50% and I saw a couple that said 100% travel required, I didn't even bother with those ones.

Supposedly the travel with this company I'm interviewing with is supposed to just be the LA area with trips up to Sacramento 3 times a yr. I can handle that, that's no too bad, but to be gone all of the time would suck. I mean you work all day and then do what, sit in the hotel room at night??? Sounds lonely and depressing to me. Like I said a little of that is ok, but not full time.
Once I get this training, I should only be gone twice, maybe three times a year.

I hope this east coast storm doesn't screw up class this week.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Once I get this training, I should only be gone twice, maybe three times a year.

I hope this east coast storm doesn't screw up class this week.

I hear that storm is pretty bad. While I was looking for flights up north Southwest airlines was issuing warnings for east coast travelers. So hopefully you guys won't get any of that, should get to you, but if you have to travel to the east coast you're probably screwed.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
It's hard to tell with all of the drifts, but I think we're up to 10-12 inches so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships