Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,065 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking for a long time about getting one, not to do anything crazy or like that but I think it would still be fun and convenient to save on gas car payment etc.

The thing is my wife is really against it because a few years ago her brother died on one. Whenever I have brought the subject up she always says absolutely not.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherethenotsare View Post
The thing is my wife is really against it because a few years ago her brother died on one. Whenever I have brought the subject up she always says absolutely not.
I certainly can understand her objection.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:45 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,179,299 times
Remember: Happy Wife...Happy Life

Old 06-13-2016, 07:46 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,832 times
She loves you and is worried about you and that you'd suffer the same fate as her brother.

Maybe you could compromise and get a fun little sports car instead? Somethi g that would be fun and also get decent gas mileage. Talk with your wife and see if she's on board with that instead of a bike (which depending on what you're looking at could be just as expensive as a car).

Old 06-13-2016, 07:47 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
It isn't you or your riding ability, it is the bad drivers all around you, and your wife wants you to stay around a while longer.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:48 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,672 times
Dude, I know the feeling. However I also know something. almost every one I know who has a bike, has also had an accident of some kind. If I was single I would do it, but I'm married with three kiddos. They rely on my salary. I wind up in a wheelchair they're screwed.
The Harley in my cAse is out of the question at this point of life.
Just my 2 cents

Old 06-13-2016, 07:50 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherethenotsare View Post
I have been thinking for a long time about getting one, not to do anything crazy or like that but I think it would still be fun and convenient to save on gas car payment etc.

The only problem I see is that this thread would imply you do not understand her objection. Looks pretty clear cut to me.

Such things as risk taking is something the two of you will need to work out together. I cannot tell you that one or the other of you is unreasonable here, as the level of acceptable risk in life differs from person to person. The only thing I can say is that her reasoning for not being accepting of the level of risk appears very well grounded.

There are many ways to have some thrills and fun in life. Finding another may be the easiest and ultimately more satisfying move. Is buying a motorcycle worth marital discord? It wouldn't be for me.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:50 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,803 times
I have a 2012 Hammer S, my wife hates it.

I wear a helmet, and stay to the speed limit in the hov lane. I also don't ride at night.

I only take it to work in March and October. I've been riding bikes since I was sixteen so it's not like sprung it on my wife.

Offer to take some classes.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:51 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
All I can add is that I have a friend who used to be a ward clerk in an ER and she said that after working there, she would never let anyone she loved ride a motorcycle.

I think your wife just loves you too much at present to let you risk life and limb for no good reason. If in the future she suddenly tells you she thinks it's a fine idea, I would be a bit worried that she no longer wants you around.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:52 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
Have you been to a Bike Show?

You should go to one - not to look at the bikes, but to look at the people that show up.

I happened to find myself vending at one in Ventura, CA in the '90s. I don't think I had ever before seen so many 1 to 0 legged women in one place before in my life. That doesn't include the women who were struggling to get around due to old knee and hip injuries, nor the one's who couldn't get there, because they had died after being ejected off the back of their man's bike.

Then we go to the men...same injuries as the women, including leg braces so they can walk.

Even amongst the old timers, there is saying, "Its not a matter of IF you go down, its a matter of WHEN."

Need more convincing? Check out getting Personal Injury Protection Insurance for your motorcycle.

Wanna ride with no helmet? Check out Gary Busey.

You cant ride a bike in the snow and rain, and god help you if you hit a rock or an oil spot.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

If you love your wife, you might want to acquiesce to her wishes.

There are plenty of cool cars out there, and you can die in them too, the only thing is if you have an accident in the car, there is something rather substantial between you and the pavement. If you get in an accident on a bike, there is little to nothing between you and the pavement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.