Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:03 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Yes, this is the definition. However there are exceptions. Some women don't have periods when they are younger for various reasons and return to full fertility.

I would say 100% of women by age 60 will not get pregnant without means to prevent it. Probably by age 50 chances are very very small, but it just depends on the woman.

As per your boldfaced comment: The wording, especially the underlined words, was a bit unclear. Did you actually mean to phrase your sentence to convey the ideas that follow in the following sentence? "I would say 100% of women by age 60 will not get pregnant and therefore you needn't use any means to prevent pregnancy."

Last edited by UsAll; 04-19-2015 at 01:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 12:06 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
OP, if the last period is at the end of her 59th year, she needs to wait a year before she can be birthcontrol-free. So really, by 61, in such a case, you would no longer need BC.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:06 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
It's rare but there are women who get pregnant in their 50s. I know several women who thought they were in menopause and were counting down the months to get to that 12 months without a period marker only to have an unexpected period hit and reset the clock. While it's unlikely a woman in those circumstances would get pregnant, it's still at least possible.

If you are dating women in their mid to late 50s or younger, I suggest you consider having a vasectomy if you want to feel secure about not using birth control.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:23 AM

Even beyond (or taking into consideration along with) pregnancy risk considerations:

I've been thinking for a while now that, if I should choose to become sexual active once again to whatever degree, I may have to insist, with whomever the prospective woman is, that beforehand, we both go together to an STD Clinic at a good hospital and each be tested for the broad cross-section of STDs and then see each others' test results there in the STD Clinic offices and discuss them with the medical professionals there as need be. I absolutely hate having to be this way (doing so would or could be so unromantic, so unappealing, such a conveyance of lack-of-trust, such a turn-off, and taking away from the spontaneity of male-female relating) but what else should one do? Play "Russian roulette" with one's life and well-being? Consider that (a) there is too much of STDs going around in our nation at-large and all over the world; (b) there have developed various resistant strains of STDs that have made a comeback (e.g,. certain forms of gonorrhea); (c) I may have read online or otherwise seen or heard in the media that some STDS that one can catch or may have caught in one's past can be long-lasting (e.g., decades) and not show any discernable symptoms; (d) some STDs (e.g., HPV) can be tramsmitted not just by penetration or oral contact with one's bodily orifices or openings but even by skin-to-skin contact (though the STD Clinic, when pressed and questioned by me, said this meant "crotch to crotch contact"); and so on. What a world we live in!

Last edited by UsAll; 04-19-2015 at 01:20 AM..

Old 04-19-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's rare but there are women who get pregnant in their 50s. I know several women who thought they were in menopause and were counting down the months to get to that 12 months without a period marker only to have an unexpected period hit and reset the clock. While it's unlikely a woman in those circumstances would get pregnant, it's still at least possible.

If you are dating women in their mid to late 50s or younger, I suggest you consider having a vasectomy if you want to feel secure about not using birth control.
Yes, I have thought about this option. That is certainly a consideration.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:38 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Even beyond (or taken into consideration along with) pregnancy risk considerations:

I've been thinking for a while now that, if I should choose to become sexual active once again to whatever degree, I may have to insist, with whomever the prosepctive woman is, that beforehand, we both go together to an STD Clinic at a good hospital and each be tested for the broad cross-section of STDs and then see each others' test results there in the STD Clinic offices and discuss them with the medical professionals there as need be. I absolutely hate having to be this way (doing so would or could be so unromantic, so unappealing, such a conveyance of lack-of-trust, such a turn-off, and taking away from the spontaneity of male-female relating) but what else should one do? Play "Russian roulette" with one's life and well-being? Consider that (a) there is too much of STDs going around in our nation at-large and all over the world; (b) there have developed various resistant strains of STDs that have made a comeback (e.g,. certain forms of gonorrhea); (c) I may have read online or otherwise seen or heard in the media that some STDS that one can catch or may have caught in one's past can be long-lasting (e.g., decades) and not show any discernable symptoms; (d) some STDs (e.g., HPV) can be tramsmitted not just be penetration or oral contact with one's bodily orifices or openings even by skin-to-skin contact (though the STD Clinic, when pressed and questioned by me, said this meant "crotch to crotch contact"); and so on. What a world we live in!
Yeah, it's a dilemma, OP. The responsible thing to do, of course, is as you describe. But a lot of people prefer to play Russian Roulette.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:56 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Did you not see and read my third paragraph, where I explicity said all of the following?
And that is what they all say...and maybe even mean it....but at any age urges kick in.....sometimes before one thinks it will....and oops their you are.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:31 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
German Mother of 13 Pregnant With Quadruplets at Age 65 - ABC News

Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Quote:
As per your boldfaced comment: The wording, especially the underlined words, was a bit unclear. Did you actually mean to phrase your sentence to convey the ideas that follow in the following sentence? "I would say 100% of women by age 60 will not get pregnant and therefore you needn't use any means to prevent pregnancy."
There have been a few instances of births to women aged 59 without intervention such as fertility treatments, although it's very very very rare. There have been no recorded births to women age 60 and above unless they had some kind of treatment.

Pregnancy is not going to happen after age 60. STDs are growing in people over 60 though.

Why not just get a vasectomy or wrap it up? Try a female condom. They are harder to get and you hve to figure them out a bit, but they are better than male condoms. ( I just watched a documentary on them and have never tried one, so I really have no idea.)

Old 04-19-2015, 09:27 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
IVF with donor eggs is not exactly a scenario where someone would have to worry about an accidental pregnancy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships