Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:55 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,025,487 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine told me recently her bf, let's call him HANS, wants her to meet his ex.

WHAT?

HANS was with ex for 4 years and he dumped her after she was cheating on him and lied.

That was 10 years ago.

She moved away, got married, had a child, came back a few years later and started hanging out with HANS again. HANS said to her husband "I understand if this is awkward and if you are against it, I will stay away." husband didn't mind and all 3 hung out together, plus their kid. However, the marriage failed.

So HANS and the ex are friends since. HANS also hangs out with her brother. So about once a month they all meet and hang out, have dinner and play cards. Also, they text quite a lot.

HANS was single for 10 years since he dumped ex and then recently my friend, his new gf, entered the pic. She didn't like that he still hangs out with the ex and her family. Ex invited new gf and HANS for dinner. New gf said "HELL NO!"

HANS doesn't want to accept nor understands that new gf doesn't want to be friends with his ex or her family.

New gf doesn't want to accept nor understand that HANS doesn't want to give up that friendship and she says she rather drops dead as hanging out with HANS ex.

Whatcha think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 12:02 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
I think the ex girlfriend was doing the cool thing as it was polite to include the new GF and show her that there is no funny business between them and they are just friends.

I certainly would have accepted and would have been interested in seeing for myself what the dynamic is between my BF and his ex, and to see if I was comfortable with it.

I think your friend looks bad with her reaction. I understand it may be uncomfortable at first, but she is an adult and sometimes we need to do uncomfortable things.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-24-2015, 12:13 PM

2,826 posts, read 4,000,140 times
I think HANS should be careful, or he may end up SOLO.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think the ex girlfriend was doing the cool thing as it was polite to include the new GF and show her that there is no funny business between them and they are just friends.

I certainly would have accepted and would have been interested in seeing for myself what the dynamic is between my BF and his ex, and to see if I was comfortable with it.

I think your friend looks bad with her reaction. I understand it may be uncomfortable at first, but she is an adult and sometimes we need to do uncomfortable things.
I agree she looks bad with her reaction.

However, why would HANS even put her in that situation??? As you say, it is UNCOMFORTABLE. Why would she want to hang out regularly and waste a Saturday evening being uncomfortable?

Old 04-24-2015, 12:18 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,050,212 times
If they're friends and I meet them as hanging with friends, sure. But to specifically try to hang out because they're an ex? No. I've met dozens of exes (ex bfs, ex fwbs, etc) of people I'm seeing when out and about (shows, parties, etc) but never specifically targeted hanging out with one because they were an ex.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:21 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I agree she looks bad with her reaction.

However, why would HANS even put her in that situation??? As you say, it is UNCOMFORTABLE. Why would she want to hang out regularly and waste a Saturday evening being uncomfortable?
I'm thinking he wanted to introduce her to a friend, who he happened to have dated years ago. Right now the GF is saying she doesn't want to meet his friend, who he happened to have dated years ago.

Plus, the GF doesn't want them to be friends anymore, which is really not her call no matter what friend it is. She's just some new chick, and probably if she keeps up with this, she will be an Ex too!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-24-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm thinking he wanted to introduce her to a friend, who he happened to have dated years ago. Right now the GF is saying she doesn't want to meet his friend, who he happened to have dated years ago.

Plus, the GF doesn't want them to be friends anymore, which is really not her call no matter what friend it is. She's just some new chick, and probably if she keeps up with this, she will be an Ex too!
Seems like it. But why would he put an ex over the love of his life??

I am friends with most of my exes. But if I have a new partner and he doesn't like it, it is a nobrainer to say good bye to the exes and put my partners wishes above theirs.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,050,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Seems like it. But why would he put an ex over the love of his life??

I am friends with most of my exes. But if I have a new partner and he doesn't like it, it is a nobrainer to say good bye to the exes and put my partners wishes above theirs.

That doesn't sound like you really see them as friends.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:40 PM

324 posts, read 428,460 times
HANS has spent ten years single and has maintained a platonic friendship with this woman, that he happened to date over ten years ago. Even her husband was friends with him. Sounds like they all acted like adults and enjoyed each others company.

Your friend has no right to say he has to ditch a healthy ten year friendship, ex or not. She sounds very immature and creating drama for no reason. If she doesn't want to "waste a saturday night" (which is telling of her maturity level), then she can decline and move on to a guy with absolutely no connections with their ex's.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:40 PM

My friends last straw was that he should keep hanging out with ex and just not tell current gf. But he doesn't want to accept it.

Also, he doesn't want to understand that new girl doesn't want to hang out with ex girl. But he totally understood that ex girls husband (a few years back) would not have wanted to have him hang out with ex. Isn't that bizarre???

His arguments are "she gained 80 lbs, I would never date her again." And "other people who get divorced and have kids, also still hang out." Yeah, but only for the kids sake only ..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships