Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 05:25 PM

615 posts, read 727,524 times

Advertisements

If we're talking about physical attraction, I don't see how it's possible to consciously lower one's standards. I'm either sexually attracted to a woman or I'm not. I will say that the range of women I would bang has expanded as I've gotten older, but that could be an evolutionary response to a diminishing number of options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 05:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,258,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
If we're talking about physical attraction, I don't see how it's possible to consciously lower one's standards. I'm either sexually attracted to a woman or I'm not. I will say that the range of women I would bang has expanded as I've gotten older, but that could be an evolutionary response to a diminishing number of options.
You say that in the same sentence as "evolutionary".

Ironic.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:08 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,207,476 times
I guess some people feel sex with someone ugly is better than the nothing they may currently be getting. Again this is just for plain old sex. I could see lowering standards there.

Lowering them for a "relationship" is tougher, and could cause problems depending on how far you're going with it. So that advice isn't sound. Unless the single person is unhappy with being single. If they can't stand not dating someone, and they can't find the total package, then sure. A compromise needs to be made.

Otherwise, if you're fine with being single, I say keep your standards high if it works, or if you're happy being single until you find it. You win either way. Because neither is a punishment or misery.

Last edited by HappyRain; 06-20-2015 at 06:24 PM..

Old 06-20-2015, 06:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,982,589 times
There's a difference between telling someone to lower their standards and letting someone know that their demands are pretty ridiculous.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:45 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,571,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
not that you "did"?.... either become more attractive yourself or go shop at Walmart

Old 06-20-2015, 06:59 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,280,149 times
A lot of people I know that in highschool and shortly after dated really attractive people have seemed to end up with people that weren't as attractive in some cases to the point where I was absolutely surprised. I'm not saying that any of these people lowered their standards because I don't know but I would say you would be surprised at the number of people that fall in love with people that physically you wouldnt have expected. I do think it's possible to lower standards based on that.

Right now I could not lower mine-Im pretty shallow and just can't but perhaps it wouldnt be too difficult if I met a wonderful man that wasnt as attractive as I'd like but that absolutely compensated in every way possible.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:07 PM

609 posts, read 616,824 times
Well let's say hypothetically that Joe is a janitor (nothing wrong with that) who makes minimum wage and looks like a gremlin. He keeps on going for famous models who reject him and complains that he can't find anyone.

One example of someone who should lower his standards.

Or a guy who decides he doesn't want to be with a woman because her elbows are too pointy (but everything else is good).

It's about putting things into perspective also and figuring out what is truly important in life. Does he REALLY have to make six figures? Does she REALLY have to have a perfect body? Will this drastically change your happiness? Probably not.
You can program yourself to think anything, if you really want to make changes in your life.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:36 PM

9,445 posts, read 6,601,788 times
I guess some people lower their standards on appearance for a higher "money standard".

Old 06-20-2015, 08:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,215,761 times
While it might make someone happier overall, it's not always possible.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:51 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,722,015 times
Maybe it's not lowering of standards at all...it's more refining what is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships