Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:08 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,788,245 times

Advertisements

Why is it that some people who are dating someone out of their league fail to appreciate that person? You would think they would be grateful they could get somebody who is attractive, smart, funny, has a college degree, when they are not as attractive, has a ****ty job, and has no college degree. Is it because they get arrogant and think they can score better? Or maybe they think that person is too good for them so they get insecure?

I've seen this happen to a friend. She was attractive, smart, had a Masters, and fell head over heels for a guy who was awkward, not very good looking, only had a high school diploma, and pretty much a scum bag for hanging around with strippers and prostitutes. I think that made her feel real dumb when someone like him dumped her. He told her she was too good for him but she wouldn't buy it. I guess I just don't get this, maybe he just wasn't that into her for whatever reason. I mean, people are always trying to date up, but when they get it, they don't seem to appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 05:21 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,854,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Why is it that some people who are dating someone out of their league fail to appreciate that person? You would think they would be grateful they could get somebody who is attractive, smart, funny, has a college degree, when they are not as attractive, has a ****ty job, and has no college degree. Is it because they get arrogant and think they can score better? Or maybe they think that person is too good for them so they get insecure?

I've seen this happen to a friend. She was attractive, smart, had a Masters, and fell head over heels for a guy who was awkward, not very good looking, only had a high school diploma, and pretty much a scum bag for hanging around with strippers and prostitutes. I think that made her feel real dumb when someone like him dumped her. He told her she was too good for him but she wouldn't buy it. I guess I just don't get this, maybe he just wasn't that into her for whatever reason. I mean, people are always trying to date up, but when they get it, they don't seem to appreciate it.
Your friend seems to have low self esteem

Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,206,126 times
But you can also ask why these so-called great catches go for these bad and unappreciative people.

Is it because they think that can't get better? or because they're too prideful to walk away, and thus let themselves be stepped on?

Example. Can be skipped if wanted.
Spoiler
Woman I know. Hourglass figure, law school. Sex buddy to a guy who didn't graduate from college, and doesn't seem to be an intellectual. She's the one wanting a relationship, and he only wanted her as a free hooker. She'd get mad at him and complain. He'd shrug it off and either ignore her, or change the subject. Unless he wanted sex, he didn't give a crap how she felt. Then when he was horny, he'd pretend to be interested in her.

2 years she slept with and pinned for this guy, and he's actually dated 2 woman over her, one was his girlfriend before he met her, while she stays on the back-burner. Him dating some new girl he met recently is what really pissed her off, because he wouldn't date her, saying he didn't want a new girlfriend, and didn't make much time for her, even as a single guy, only to get an actual girlfriend later, which wasn't her. If not a girlfriend, it's a woman he's more interested in, because he spends more time with this new girl than he ever did his mistress of 2 years.

Finally she may have had enough. Last I heard from her, she has been talking to a new guy for the past month. They are in school together. Hopefully that means she's actually starting to move on and notice other men, rather than pinning for a guy who couldn't care less about her. Least she has some kind of romantic life outside of him now. But she's gone back to him before. So I won't say she's definitely done.

Thing is, even if someone is seen as stupid, or a loser, confidence goes a ways. Even if the other person is a catch that someone should be glad to have, if they have low self-esteem, or are pushovers, even what seem to be losers, won't respect them for a relationship. Not too many people take doormats seriously for partners. They use them for whatever reason, but no respect and love there.

The girl I mentioned, she seems to think she's a real catch, and she may be. But given how crappy she let this guy treat her, and still slept with him despite his lack of respect, he just thought she was a joke most-likely. She felt he should have realized how great she was, and be lucky to have her because he's stupid and didn't even go to college. NOPE!!! Doesn't work that way.

Pushovers / doormats / people-pleasers, etc. No matter how hot, smart and accomplished usually don't get respect, even from a dead-beat. If you put up with alot of crap from people, you'll be covered in so much crap, that's all you look like now. Crap. No backbone and no limitations which means people see you as a benefit or convenience for them. No respect earned.

Last edited by HappyRain; 04-26-2015 at 05:58 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 05:35 PM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post

I think you're asking the wrong question. It's not "why do the losers not appreciate a good thing when it happens to them", but rather, it's "Why is my friend going for a loser?"

Old 04-26-2015, 05:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,211,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think you're asking the wrong question. It's not "why do the losers not appreciate a good thing when it happens to them", but rather, it's "Why is my friend going for a loser?"
I'd have to agree.

And I'll also add that in most happy relationships, both people feel like they won the jackpot.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,976,343 times
If someone can't go for what they "deserve" then they really don't "deserve" better.

That "loser" does not have to appreciate anyone dating him, because you don't date people for a favor.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:55 PM

609 posts, read 616,692 times
I'm guessing she has low self esteem and reallllly wanted to be in a relationship. Maybe wasn't patient enough to wait for a decent guy or isn't brave enough to date someone on her level. Sad

Old 04-26-2015, 06:06 PM

324 posts, read 428,545 times
I know if my partner felt that I should be grateful that he's with me because he's smarter and more attractive, it would be the end of the relationship.

If she's referring to these guys as scumbags, losers and unattractive, it's no surprise they're not staying around. Would you?

Old 04-26-2015, 07:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,976,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspectguy View Post
I know if my partner felt that I should be grateful that he's with me because he's smarter and more attractive, it would be the end of the relationship.

If she's referring to these guys as scumbags, losers and unattractive, it's no surprise they're not staying around. Would you?

I'd be willing to bet there's a lot more to the story.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:37 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,788,245 times
It's not just my friend. I know another girl who is also pretty cute and in med school but she's getting blown off by guys. I have seen her get pretty hung up over some guy she just met at a bar not texting her back. Our friend had to give her a lecture on knowing what she has to offer, raising her standards, and not just getting with any guy who is her age and is attractive. Are these girls just not realizing their worth? I guess most people don't really think that way until after the fact because they can't think objectively about it while in the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships