Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 04:06 PM

22 posts, read 34,447 times

Advertisements

So, I'm basically a hermit who does not go clubbing or anything that normal people do. I'm not working or in school so I can't meet people through there. The only place I go is literally church. The rest is activities by myself.

So I am like the only woman I know who resorts to meeting friends and guys off the internet. Friends are fairly easy for me to find on Meetup, but for some reason, dates are harder...I never like anybody on the main dating sites (Okcupid, plentyoffish, etc.)...and surprisingly, I have had better luck meeting people that I like on Craigslist. I suppose because its such a popular website and it has a bigger pool of users than most dating sites. I get 30 messages a week on dating sites and 100 messages (literally) a week on CL. So I assume more users.

This is not my first time meeting someone off CL, I met a guy who turned out to be like my best friend for 2 years. So there are some decent people on there...but now I'm going paranoid and thinking maybe I just lucked out with him?

I've been emailing and texting a new guy I met via CL and he is going to pick me up and take me to his place (I presume that's where we are going) tonight.

Now, to be clear, I don't respond to the ones that are just a pic of the private parts and a one liner. His was quite long and properly written and included a face picture.

I know we should hang out in a public place but what places are open in the middle of the night? He cannot meet during the day due to his job. He seems nice enough, but I've grown less naive since last time I used CL and am now paranoid. So paranoid that I have thought about bringing a weapon of some sort, just in case he tries to steal my organs or something crazy.

I don't really want my church friends to know I'm meeting dudes off CL, because people immediately think of the gross ads (the kind I don't respond to) so I don't want to ask them to accompany me.

I really want to meet him, he's cute, but I'm also uber paranoid. Safety tips needed! Thanks...

Old 05-04-2015, 04:13 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,049,002 times
I think you're doing everything just fine. I often pick up guys off Craig's List, but in order to increase my dating pool, I respond to every message that comes my way, including junk pics. I always wished someone would take me to their place on our first date where we could be completely alone. And I would definitely clear my schedule - but it doesn't sound like you have anything to clear - in order to hang out in the middle of the night. I understand most people with 'jobs' work 7 a.m. until at least 1 a.m. every day of the week. It all sounds really great to me! Livin' the dream!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:20 PM

62,101 posts, read 87,849,442 times
Be careful and listen to your guts.
I would rather wait for his day off than meet him at his home at midnight. Are you so desperate??
If you want to see him regardless, pick a place that is open 24/7 - like a fast food joint or such. Later on you can decide if you want to go to his home or not...
Do not let him know where you live/work (or it's too late?) until you are sure he is not a psycho.

BTW: most people don't work 7AM till 1AM every day of the week. If he does, then there is not much future for this relationship.

Last edited by elnina; 05-04-2015 at 04:41 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 04:23 PM

8,925 posts, read 7,756,864 times
First date.

Met on CL.

Going to his house in the mid of the night.

And you feel the need to bring a weapon.

Hmmmmm....

First thought: If you feel like you need to be armed....why the **** are you going out with him?

Old 05-04-2015, 04:23 PM

609 posts, read 617,333 times
Wow this sounds like the beginning of a murder story.
What person in their right mind gets picked up by a stranger to go to his house? Someone they met off a website known for crazy people?

Old 05-04-2015, 04:24 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,049,002 times
Bring him to your home, but mail him a key first so he can let himself in, just in case you fall asleep.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:25 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,312,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user1467 View Post
So, I'm basically a hermit who does not go clubbing or anything that normal people do. I'm not working or in school so I can't meet people through there. The only place I go is literally church. The rest is activities by myself.

So I am like the only woman I know who resorts to meeting friends and guys off the internet. Friends are fairly easy for me to find on Meetup, but for some reason, dates are harder...I never like anybody on the main dating sites (Okcupid, plentyoffish, etc.)...and surprisingly, I have had better luck meeting people that I like on Craigslist. I suppose because its such a popular website and it has a bigger pool of users than most dating sites. I get 30 messages a week on dating sites and 100 messages (literally) a week on CL. So I assume more users.

This is not my first time meeting someone off CL, I met a guy who turned out to be like my best friend for 2 years. So there are some decent people on there...but now I'm going paranoid and thinking maybe I just lucked out with him?

I've been emailing and texting a new guy I met via CL and he is going to pick me up and take me to his place (I presume that's where we are going) tonight.

Now, to be clear, I don't respond to the ones that are just a pic of the private parts and a one liner. His was quite long and properly written and included a face picture.

I know we should hang out in a public place but what places are open in the middle of the night? He cannot meet during the day due to his job. He seems nice enough, but I've grown less naive since last time I used CL and am now paranoid. So paranoid that I have thought about bringing a weapon of some sort, just in case he tries to steal my organs or something crazy.

I don't really want my church friends to know I'm meeting dudes off CL, because people immediately think of the gross ads (the kind I don't respond to) so I don't want to ask them to accompany me.

I really want to meet him, he's cute, but I'm also uber paranoid. Safety tips needed! Thanks...
You are out of your mind. If you have to meet at McDonalds to have a cup of coffee because it's the only place open, that's where you meet. You should never, ever let someone you've never met in person pick you up at your home, get into his car, go to his house. You're not uber paranoid, you are incredibly naive and making a very bad choice.

ETA: It sounds like you haven't even talked on the phone?? If so, this is even crazier.

I can only hope you are a troll, looking to set up a back story.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:30 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,624,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user1467 View Post

Invite him to meet you at church... DO NOT - repeat DO NOT - let him pick you up and take you to his place until and only until, you know him better... or else we may be reading about some woman who got killed by some Craigslist wacko... happens all the time - PLEASE DON'T LET HIM PICK YOU UP!

Meet somewhere that's open and you'll have your own ride home... When you get to where you are going to meet - make sure it's public and others can see you and hear you if you need help...

By all means woman, use your head! And I hope all these warnings are understood to be cautious acts...

Old 05-04-2015, 04:37 PM

22 posts, read 34,447 times
Talking on the phone first and meeting at McDonald's are all good ideas. I shall implement them.

But I don't think statistically many people get murdered on CL. The Craigslist killer was a rare exception. I'm still not 110% trusting of it though.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:39 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,312,965 times
You may not get murdered but you could very well get sexually assaulted by a man who claims that of course you wanted to have sex, why else would you go to the home of a total stranger in the middle of the night. Your word against his and frankly, circumstantial evidence will favor him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships