Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 688 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 year old female who has (medication managed) schizophrenia and is still living with the parents.

I admit that my judgment skills are poor. Some of it is due to my disorder affecting my judgment.

But I spent days planning how I was going to get my life together so I don't have to be under the wing of my parents all the time, and can one day start a family of my own.

But my mother, everyone is opposed to me getting a job and moving out. I plan to move in with a roommate so the bills won't be too much for me to handle.

She (my mother) wants me to move in with my grandmother in this middle of nowhere town. I want to move to the city.

She says the city is tough, that is true, but I don't want to be sheltered my whole life either...I'm 23!

She basically said, should I fail, she won't help me. Great.

If I did not have the desire to start a family of my own, sure, I'd move in with grandma in a basically senior citizens town...but love is very important to me.

Just not sure what to do. Either I accept that I have poor judgment and live under family my whole life, treated like a child, never having one of my own because who wants to be with a woman who always lives with mom...or I go out on my own and risk losing the safety net of family.

Not sure what to do. Is finding love and having a family of my own worth losing my mom's support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 05:33 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,265,631 times
I've been on my own since 17 and never regretted it for a second - I say, go for it!

Old 05-10-2015, 05:48 PM

48,632 posts, read 35,099,152 times
I'm sure you're Mom is very worried about you, you admit to having poor judgement.

Can you start a little slower in order to see if you can function as a responsible adult? Start with a job and be a productive member of your family. Clean house, offer to cook meals, show that you are able to run your life while under the protection of your family. Perhaps date a little at the same time.

If you can handle all that without getting into trouble, then look to moving out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-10-2015, 09:32 PM

373 posts, read 484,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlucas View Post
I am a 23 year old female who has (medication managed) schizophrenia and is still living with the parents.

I admit that my judgment skills are poor. Some of it is due to my disorder affecting my judgment.

But I spent days planning how I was going to get my life together so I don't have to be under the wing of my parents all the time, and can one day start a family of my own.

But my mother, everyone is opposed to me getting a job and moving out. I plan to move in with a roommate so the bills won't be too much for me to handle.

She (my mother) wants me to move in with my grandmother in this middle of nowhere town. I want to move to the city.

She says the city is tough, that is true, but I don't want to be sheltered my whole life either...I'm 23!

She basically said, should I fail, she won't help me. Great.

If I did not have the desire to start a family of my own, sure, I'd move in with grandma in a basically senior citizens town...but love is very important to me.

Just not sure what to do. Either I accept that I have poor judgment and live under family my whole life, treated like a child, never having one of my own because who wants to be with a woman who always lives with mom...or I go out on my own and risk losing the safety net of family.

Not sure what to do. Is finding love and having a family of my own worth losing my mom's support?
If you were an average 23 y/o, my answer would have been different. But you have schizophrenia and you yourself have admitted poor judgment skills (which I assume happened while you were not in psychosis). Stay on medications and show that you can be free of symptoms for at least 1-2 years. Meanwhile, get a local job and commute from home. Then move out and start dating.
Don't forget for you, family support > sex, job

Old 05-11-2015, 04:15 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,852,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2 View Post
If you were an average 23 y/o, my answer would have been different. But you have schizophrenia and you yourself have admitted poor judgment skills (which I assume happened while you were not in psychosis). Stay on medications and show that you can be free of symptoms for at least 1-2 years. Meanwhile, get a local job and commute from home. Then move out and start dating.
Don't forget for you, family support > sex, job
OP, I agree with this but I also agree with you. It's not fair for you to be treated like a child all your life, but maybe you shouldn't be in a hurry to get it all at once either. Maybe if your mom is somewhat reasonable you can make moving to the city a longer term goal with some baby steps in between and if your mom still balks, ask if you can bring in a counselor to help mediate and let you and your mom know what those baby steps should look like.

And of course you want love and a family of your own--that's what most of us want. I pray for you to get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships