Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:58 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Letting 'studies' determine the course of your life seems pretty robotic to me.

And dismissing your own biological impulses as 'fluffy puffy feelings' doesn't strike me as the best way to enjoy the human experience either.

I'm not talking about settling for something less than ideal, I'm talking about the way you choose what's ideal in the first place.
Maybe you can't read, but I pick the ones who fulfill my criteria who ALSO give me the fluffy-puffies. Its not either-or.
That's what you seem to fail to understand.
Are you like in your 20s or something?
Newsflash: All you need is love is a total lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 08:00 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, there isn't. But it isn't common either.

And the person or people you have it with very very well might not fit your chosen criteria at all.
Haven't had that problem.

I agree the man/woman thing was a bad example. But the showering thing? Isnt.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:05 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Haven't had that problem.

I agree the man/woman thing was a bad example. But the showering thing? Is.

You haven't. But loads and loads of people do.

And I don't know what to say about the showering thing. I can't recall meeting women that don't seem to shower. Not since my punk squat living days, that is.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:05 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
My "checklist" is not necessarily what I want or must have in a mate, like income or looks as it is based on past relationships and a list of attributes designated: don't make that mistake again.

Also, I am not good with technology, cant master my phone even. I prefer outside, being in the woods, walking the creeks and watching wildlife to sitting in front of a computer, playing candy crush on a smart phone or watching TV so I don't know what the heck Id do with a robot.

Although I do have one of those robotic vacuum cleaners, I call her Rosie, and as handy as she is she is still one big pain in the arse.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:08 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Maybe you can't read, but I pick the ones who fulfill my criteria who ALSO give me the fluffy-puffies. Its not either-or.
That's what you seem to fail to understand.
Are you like in your 20s or something?
Newsflash: All you need is love is a total lie.
No I'm not like in my 20s.
Yes, once again I failed to grasp your complexity, so I obviously can't read.
Newsflash: I didn't say all you need is love.

And talk about making it either-or... apparently you need to be all about criteria and scientific studies (with fluffy puffy 'feelings' simply being another item on your romantic wish list) or you're a child who thinks that your first crush is going to last forever. How very binary!

Old 05-07-2015, 08:31 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,851 times
Only if it has real feelings and emotions, eat and poop and age like I will. No need to charge battery and can fly like Superman
A real puppy is way better than the soft toy pet that barks.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:34 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
No I would not. I would miss the human touch with imperfections and all, and I think it would get monotonous and boring after a while. I'm also not a checklist person, I've always just gone with the flow.

Since this is the same subject matter though, I really enjoyed this film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQu...yer_detailpage
This is exactly what I thought of when I started reading this thread. Haven't seen it yet, but it looks like a must see.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:39 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
No. I want to be loved. A robot can't really love me. I prefer being loved by real people. And my real husband is more perfect for me than a robot because he is real. And an imperfect person is so much more interesting than a perfect robot.

Last edited by Dewdroplet76; 05-07-2015 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 10:58 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
Quote:
If someone invented a supersmart superfunny supersexy robot who was all about you, was physically attractive to you (and could be customized to suit your preferences) behaved exactly how you would want your partner to behave (I don't mean perpetual acquiescence, I mean it would also draw up boundaries and have self-respect), made a good salary (or not, if you find that too threatening), boosted your confidence/elevated your social status at every turn, and could also reproduce... would you choose it over an actual human?

I'm just asking because I've read so many threads on this forum where people are looking for/selling themselves based on specific qualities that they possess and I'm wondering if those qualities are somehow more important than actually connecting with a person. I mean, I hear a lot about how people are becoming more narcissistic and everything so it doesn't seem all that implausible to me.

Of course, this isn't something that people would be readily open to admit, so I'm expecting most people to say no... but at the same time, it's something that interests me and I'd like to hear what you think and also what you think other people really want from their SO.
Some people are okay with just a regular mannequin; others prefer the actual robot.

Some people just don't understand what genuine connections are these days. They're too consumed with video games and materialism that feeds into their narcissistic tendencies they lose touch w/being human themselves. In a way, they are a bunch of drones looking for a robot mate. For them that's better than having to grow old with someone.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:19 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Quote:
How could I not be threatened by someone so unbelievably awesome? I'm pretty sure most of the other people on this board would feel the same way-- you're that great.

Part of my point is that the idea of having a list in the first place means you're choosing someone based on a very narrow view of yourself and other people, much like how a robot would choose his or her SO.

the OP does have a point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships