Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 05:16 PM

65 posts, read 263,158 times

Advertisements

Question to all you readers/posters... What brought you to this forum and do you think that the nature of social interaction is changing in our society? Do you rely on forums and other such mediums for a sense of community? Is this healthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 05:52 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumMom View Post
Question to all you readers/posters... What brought you to this forum and do you think that the nature of social interaction is changing in our society? Do you rely on forums and other such mediums for a sense of community? Is this healthy?
I was "brought" to this forum because I was minding my own business, looking up information on towns and cities. Sure social interaction is changing but it depends on the person... some people think that all music recorded is on a cd... some people remember seeing the news of the Vietnam "war" on tv every night ala Walter Cronkite or when JFK was killed... or earlier than that. I certainly don't rely on forums or chat rooms for a sense of community, once in awhile I'll post on the Bills forum or here, and not really to much in either. The net is like having the library at home so to speak... you can look up anything. As far as unhealthy, I don't know, I just typed this... T&C

Old 01-18-2008, 06:59 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Yes!! You guys are my only family!! I never get off the computer!!

LOL!! (Actually I shouldn't joke too much, there are people probaBLY like this)

City data is good for asking questions about a certain place that you may be moving to, etc. Questions that friends, family, co-workers might have not have the answer to.

People on this forum seem to have a very whole understanding of places and very observant of things many people are not.

As a geography instructor this website does have a lot of resources provided by average , yet observant people.

I think people can make an unhealthy habit out of stuff though. Myself, I usually check my e-mail once a day on the weekends, vacations (sometimes I'll go a few days).

Workdays, usually twice a day. I'll check up on city data usually once every couple of days, to see if theres any new profound insights.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times
I like city data because people laugh at my jokes and I get positive feedback for my views and expressing them. That is gratifying. It is not my family. It is a community in that it allows me to discuss things that I think about and wonder about and have some lively exchange, which expands my thinking and understanding.

I limit my internet use because it can get out of balance. I still have to spend lots of time out doors in nature, and quiet time reading books and making art.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:34 PM

857 posts, read 4,877,922 times
Quote:
I absolutely believe that social interaction has changed. When I was younger there was no internet. You went out with your friends and "hung out", or you spent half your life on the phone with them. Now you text them, you IM them, or you find them on the internet and play games with them even though you will probably never meet them.
I came to this forum because I am looking for a place to retire to and I have been checking out different areas. That lead to other Subjects on the forum and now I check it almost daily. But I still have to deal with people face to face on a daily basis, but sometimes this forum is easier in that you can voice your opinion about something and remain relatively anonymous.
My son's generation, however, seems to live and breathe by their computers. He was stationed overseas for two years in the Air Force, and he kept in touch with his HS buddies daily when they would all get together (on line) to play games. I guess it kept them closer that they would have been if they didn't have that, so who is to say which is better?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:00 PM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,535,702 times
I was watching Dr. Phil the other day and he casually said, "you texted her that....."

Another time recently, a couple had programmed one of their phones, that when his ex-wife called, it came up as "idiot" or something of that nature.

He's also had a 17 year-old on recently that belonged to a MySpace club of woman who get sick drunk and post their agony in photos for the world to see.

Not to mention the mayor who's family thought she would get a date if they posted photographs of her on the internet.

Yes, times have changed and I deeply believe it's not for the better.

I found City-Data while looking for crime statistics. What I found is a forum community about 200,000 stronger than the one I was already participating in.

My own observations:

Public cell phone calls are ruining us....

Grown men and some women play far too many video and computer games (games sales in the 17 billion range is a recent stat I read; is that for one year!!!!!!)

Seems we can all do a bit more with our time and our money.

Over all, as a society, an ever increasing number of us are not handling our stress well; we've become more violent as a society, not valuing each other and particularly not valuing children.

four little ones off a bridge...
four daughters killed in D.C.....
four kids and mom killed (somewhere, I don't remember) and the house set on fire....
2 babies shot dead here in Indianapolis, while in the arms of their mother last week....
Denver lost two young girls by stray bullets in separate incidents recently.
Pregnant marine discarded like refuge.

That is 17 children (not to mention five adults) killed in only seven incidents.

I digress. My point being, that it is a more violent society (just ours) and a little communicating might go a long way.

I like coming on these forum to find like minded, intelligent people, who are receptive to discussion about such topics as this.

I like being listened to when I disagree about topics that reek with racism and sexism.

Yes, society and communication in society has changed, but in other aspects, we haven't gotten anywhere in over 50 years.

Last edited by MainStreet; 01-19-2008 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 07:48 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
Quote:
Question to all you readers/posters... What brought you to this forum

We are considering moving to another state and this popped up on Google. I read the comments then realized there are a WEALTH of other topics, COOL!

and do you think that the nature of social interaction is changing in our society?
Yes, I think so. For the past 4 years since I left the work force to raise our children, I have found it VERY hard to make friends. Being a stay at home mom is very isolating and you'd be surprised how people just don't want new friends, or they don't need them, or just don't like me.

Do you rely on forums and other such mediums for a sense of community? Is this healthy?
Yes, unfortunately, I do rely on this now, I am totally addicted, I have a problem. On this forum, I am able to talk about friends/relationships that I would like to have, I can talk about our own city, I can talk about what I used to do when I worked (I do still know quite a bit, and honestly, what I used to do before does not interest other moms I meet), or I can talk about my kids/parenting. It is multi-faceted. OR I can just play games, which I love!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:32 PM

672 posts, read 2,124,910 times
Well, I've been a member of this site for less than a year now. I work a lot of hours, and don't have the time to really get out and socialize very much. I spend all the time I can with my fiancee, but we live a distance apart, and she works too. But, this particular site is one that I don't view as unhealthy for me to spend time on. Because there are rules in place, and moderators to enforce them, I view this as a fantastic site! There are some forums out there that I wouldn't spend two seconds of my free time on. But, YES, society has changed the way we socialize, I believe. But as far as being on here goes, here is what I have to say about that. Over time, on here, as in real life, I have developed some feelings of favortism for some posters. I know that may be strange, since I havn't met anyone from here in real life, but thats just how it is. And, whats more, sometimes certain posters will be busy, ill, or something, and unable to post for a while. And I miss these people, you know, like I know them and talk with them often. Of course, if I could, I would rather put on a pot of coffee, and have the folks gathered around live in person, and socialize in that manner. But as far as what we do on this site, I don't view any of it as unhealthy. Hey! I have a pretty good time on here!

Old 01-20-2008, 12:14 AM

16 posts, read 41,788 times
Of course times have changed....

Did we expect anything else??

I found this site searching info for my hometown and the husband's. I read for awhile and finally registered. I try to visit at least once a day. Don't mind it a bit. Actually find it more worthwhile than some other well-known sites.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:25 AM

672 posts, read 2,124,910 times
Oh, I just realized that I didn't answer about how I got to this site in the first place. I read about it in a magazine, went to it for some demographics, found the forum, and have been here ever since! Great site I believe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships