Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 06:21 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

My one ex thought that we were being shot at (ultimately it was a hysterically funny story) and flung himself across me to protect me. Probably the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me, when you think about it. Unfortunately, I was driving at the time (albeit slowly).

But I've done the same for people I've been dating. Not with bullets involved, just shielding people I cared about. Stepped in between my younger cousins and what I was concerned was a dangerous dog. Moved between my elderly father and a large guy who was looking to beat him up, which freaked his wife out enough that she dragged him back (she'd been fine with him beating up an old guy) - I've found that if you're a woman smiling confidently as you walk encounter a potential attacker, people assume that you're armed.

I like to think I'd put myself between anyone I cared about and danger if I thought I could effectively protect them and not just get us both killed. There have been times in my life when I've been on the spot and didn't react in time or effectively, and bad stuff happened. I have a somewhat pathological obsession with not letting that happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 06:29 AM

468 posts, read 483,659 times
Yes, I would for my husband. Without a doubt, I would.
For my husband, I do anything except break the laws.

I love my father just as much, the old father that never abuse me. Unlike my mother who was emotionally abusve to me throughout my whole childhood, and still does through her words.

To my arrogant Chinese mother, I'm just a 'Dirty' girl in eyes because I married a guy she disapproved. According to her words, my future children are also equally "Dirty".
My children going to just have to grow up with their paternal grandma. Because their maternal grandma thinks they are dirty and full of shame just like me--their mom.

Trust me, you know what emotional abusive is when you can see your own tears drop down the rice bowl while eating.
I swallow my own tears while eating on the dinner table. NEVER once I can have a nice meal with my dad in the presence of my mom, hearing she insulting me. If it weren't for my father, I don't think I have the strength to come back home to visit.

I love my father so much, I would give my dad my organs if he needed. I take a bullet for my dad too.

Last edited by ishe; 05-15-2015 at 06:51 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 06:49 AM

387 posts, read 589,250 times
depends on 'where'. in the leg, maybe. anywhere else...no way.
and OP, she'll find someone else once you've passed on.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:05 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,765 times
Good stuff!

I would do anything for my family, my friends, shoot, even strangers, I already saved my wife's life once already, back when we we're kids, I was at counter talking to a friend, I looked over and saw the look on my wife's face and knew she was choking, I gave the Heimlich maneuver; she snapped out of it and felt embarrassed, the diner gave me a standing ovation and my girl gave a hug and a kiss.

The first time you make a save, it stay's with you forever, I've saved a kid at the bottom of a pool, ran into oceans, and lakes, burning houses, MVA's, you name it. My friend jumped from one roof to another in flames and slammed a pick head Axe into the roof spun around and grabbed a hold of a fellow Fighter and jumped for the save, truly amazing.

I've been trained over the years to be able to dish it out, cool and calm under fire. Not everyone is built for the Edge Of The Shelve, but you'd be surprised what good people are capable of doing in a time of need.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:24 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
I couldn't say for sure until I was actually faced with that situation.

I don't live in the world of danger that some people apparently do so I haven't had so much experience with that.

I'd like to think that I would.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:36 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Absolutely not.
You don't have one. I don't see how you can answer this with any idea of what you would really do.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:59 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You don't have one. I don't see how you can answer this with any idea of what you would really do.
Lol...ummm yea. Seems the only answer could be no, if no person exists to have any feelings at all about. Hypothetical SOs/wives etc don't work for this question. May as well be asking the person if he's willing to take a bullet to stop the disruption of air behind him.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:15 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Father with 3 kids. These are those cases that you never know.. and hope to never have to know... I love my wife but in the few moments before I take that bullet, my thoughts would be with my children; "They need their mother."

Old 05-15-2015, 09:03 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Father with 3 kids. These are those cases that you never know.. and hope to never have to know... I love my wife but in the few moments before I take that bullet, my thoughts would be with my children; "They need their mother."
As it has been mentioned in other threads it seems to be the nature of men to put themselves before their family in these kinds of situations. I am not sure how a man could live the rest of his life if he saved his rear but his wife died.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:06 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Nooooope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships