Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 05:45 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
I'm afraid so.
Well, then, I guess you'll have to move someplace else.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 05:46 PM

757 posts, read 1,103,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Plenty of people are looking for a committed relationship at 25. Heck, I got married at 24. Maybe you're just looking in the wrong places.

You say you have to be alone while she's off enjoying her life but that sounds like part of your problem is you're putting too much self worth on being in a relationship. Find some hobbies, go out with friends, learn a new skill... do something for yourself, do something to better yourself and you'll feel better about yourself. Find happiness on your own, and finding happiness with someone else will follow.

So learn from it. Look, I know it's easier said than done but you have a choice here - you can either continue wallowing in your misery and feeling sorry for yourself, or you can pick yourself up, learn from your mistakes, and move forward. You are the master of your own happiness and believe it or not, you can choose to be happy.

I'm sorry you're having a bad day and I hope tomorrow is better. And I'm sorry you feel stuck in a city you hate, that will make finding happiness more difficult for you. But the only thing really stopping yourself from moving on from this and finding happiness is yourself.

I just got my bachelors degree. My focus this summer is to take public speaking courses and look for some internships. But all while I'm getting my life together, all these thoughts are going to haunt me in the back on my mind. Sometimes wallowing in your sorrow is so much easier than facing the unknown. Walking into a cave not knowing whether you're going to make it out alive or dead. Not knowing if there's a light that will guide out of this cave the further you walk down. Although I'm moving onto the prime of my life, I feel weaker. My heart is hanging from sleeve and my ineptitude is becoming apparent. I wish I was stronger for myself, and I wish I was stronger for her. This whole ordeal can either be a gift or a cure, but I'm betting on the latter not the former.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, then, I guess you'll have to move someplace else.

Easier said than done. But I'm not going to discuss changing locations because it's not happening. It's too complicated for others to understand.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:00 PM

10 posts, read 8,598 times
I passed (I'm passing) by the same thing right now. My girlfriend of 1 year and a half left me about 3 months ago, and before I even could do anything, she was with another man. I felt like everything was lost man, I didnt want to eat, didnt want to exercise, didnt want to study... Anything. But hell, then i tought that my happiness doesnt depends on her, I mean, she doesnt love me anymore so thats fine, girls come and go and the only thing you can do is accept that, and move on. Go out with some friends, concentrate in YOU, or your mom, tell her you love her, ask her for some advice, study, have time for yourself and dont believe she was the only girl in the planet. As everyone says, there's a plenty of fish in the sea and the only thing you can do is to look after that girl of your dreams... or wait for her.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
its horrible for dudes, by all accounts
Why, if there's a significant surplus of young women there? Someone was even flying women out to the Bay Area, for dating, for awhile. Clearly, a lot of people don't regard NYC women as "scraps", anyway.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Don't you know? EVERYwhere is the Worst Place For Dating. Small places are too small, big places are too big, women are stuck up #$&^*@! everywhere, in a metro of many million people, it is literally impossible to find anyone who could ever understand you, etc.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:29 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Quote:
Why, if there's a significant surplus of young women there? Someone was even flying women out to the Bay Area, for dating, for awhile. Clearly, a lot of people don't regard NYC women as "scraps", anyway.
NYC women are at an obvious numerical disadvantage compared to women out West. To maintain leverage, many opt out of dating "regular" guys and aim for the '6'2" prep-school to Harvard, Wall Street banker on the fast track to millions. Those guys probably do quite well for themselves. An attractive male in NYC with the above characteristics can pull any girl he wants. A man that's an "8" will not pull "8" women. A woman that's a "5" and a woman that's an "8" will all go for the aforementioned stud.

It's why NYC-bred men that have any success with women tend to be outgoing and (at least on the surface) very confident. They have to be. In my part of the country, a forward and direct personality only helps if you're ridiculously hot and women don't care what's coming out of your mouth.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
It's why NYC-bred men that have any success with women tend to be outgoing and (at least on the surface) very confident. They have to be. In my part of the country, a forward and direct personality only helps if you're ridiculously hot and women don't care what's coming out of your mouth.
They have to be outgoing and at least moderately confident anywhere, pretty much. Some women go for shy guys, but only if they have a chance to observe the guy and get to know him a little, first, like in college classes, or such. Pretty much anyone who wants to date has to be outgoing and at least somewhat confident. It's not peculiar to NYC.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
They have to be outgoing and at least moderately confident anywhere, pretty much. Some women go for shy guys, but only if they have a chance to observe the guy and get to know him a little, first, like in college classes, or such. Pretty much anyone who wants to date has to be outgoing and at least somewhat confident. It's not peculiar to NYC.
Yes, but it's like the poster mentioned, the women who can't find anyone reserve themselves for the men in the upper echelon. These are the guys who have the women throwing themselves at them, graveling at their feet. Not to mention, New York is very fashion consious you have to dress well to stand out that these venues. Also I read a study (I forgot the source) but in the study they found that New York men want relationships more than the women do. About 40% men want a serious relationship as opposed to the 30% of women who want something serious.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
You are focusing upon a specific population of women. Look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships