Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 01:58 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinwife View Post
She complains due to traffic in her daily commute, it takes her 1.5 hours to get to work.
She has been spending 3 hours a day over the past 3 years commuting...I can assure you this would depress anyone especially when they have to return to a house they don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You should not bring a child into this situation. It's good that she's not interested in sex, because you don't need a pregnancy, then a baby thrown into this mix.
Excellent point...besides the world is overpopulated and there are millions of kids that need adopting.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:02 PM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
He says she is exagerating and it is just 45 minutes. That's not bad.

Life with a complainer is tough. No matter how hard you try to not let it affect you, it drags you down. They suck you in their self created misery and slowly eat up all your energy.

Not much you can do other than drag her to the doctor and stuff some happy pills into her. I don't think that marriage counseling will be enough. They might be making her more willing to accept compromises in the marriage but they will not make her a more happy person in general.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:07 PM

7 posts, read 5,513 times
I will try to encourage her to either seek prof. assistance or to at least allow us to go and see a counselor together. Do I want to be a martyr, no. I am just hoping it's a phase and she (or we) we seek assistance in moving past this issue.

In terms of the traffic, it's not an 1.5 hours each way, that is what she says. It's about 45 mins. It's a total of 15 miles. This is Long Island here. Everyone does the traffic routine. I do it as well. This is not an uncommon issue. Granted, before she moved in, she did live a mile away from work. There is nothing I can do about that. Most people work in the city. Before moving in, she did, for a couple of years, go back and forth to work from the house. This was known from dating seven years or so ago. Before the construction, it was about 20 - 25 mins. Because of construction, it's around double. I have no control over that. She can try the southern state, but she doesn't like that route either. It makes her dizzy or something on some of the roads. It will be done in about a year. Then, back to normal traffic patterns.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:57 PM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
I will try to encourage her to either seek prof. assistance or to at least allow us to go and see a counselor together. Do I want to be a martyr, no. I am just hoping it's a phase and she (or we) we seek assistance in moving past this issue.

In terms of the traffic, it's not an 1.5 hours each way, that is what she says. It's about 45 mins. It's a total of 15 miles. This is Long Island here. Everyone does the traffic routine. I do it as well. This is not an uncommon issue. Granted, before she moved in, she did live a mile away from work. There is nothing I can do about that. Most people work in the city. Before moving in, she did, for a couple of years, go back and forth to work from the house. This was known from dating seven years or so ago. Before the construction, it was about 20 - 25 mins. Because of construction, it's around double. I have no control over that. She can try the southern state, but she doesn't like that route either. It makes her dizzy or something on some of the roads. It will be done in about a year. Then, back to normal traffic patterns.
And then she will find something else to complain about.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:13 PM

37 posts, read 43,090 times
Quote:
In terms of the traffic, it's not an 1.5 hours each way, that is what she says.
Very odd, why she needs to insist it's 1.5 hours if is not true...

Moving may help or even fix the whole thing, you don't have to sell your house, you can rent it, with losses most probably unfortunately.

Regarding the money, she is not being fair with you my friend. Even if I wouldn't accept it if I was marrying someone, I can understand the concept of a marriage where each one have its own money and expenses, but when doing things together everything should be 50/50.

Regarding the sex... bad signal. Women doesn't just give up sex in their 40's, soon or late she will have a fling with another guy. Please don't be naive on this.

Good luck my friend!

Last edited by stackoverflow; 05-29-2015 at 04:17 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 03:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Seriously. Complaining about traffic on Long Island is like complaining that the sky is blue. I used to commute from Rocky Point to Garden City, so mea culpa... but do you think she may be angling to quit working altogether? Makes sense why she'd be asking for a baby, since that's one way to expedite the plan.
Quote:

Old 05-29-2015, 05:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Seriously. Complaining about traffic on Long Island is like complaining that the sky is blue. I used to commute from Rocky Point to Garden City, so mea culpa... but do you think she may be angling to quit working altogether? Makes sense why she'd be asking for a baby, since that's one way to expedite the plan.
Ooooh, shrewd observation! But does she really want a baby? She doesn't want to do the sex that's involved in creating a baby. She wants a test tube baby. This is a very troubled cookie. She's in no psychological state to nurture an infant. Having a baby will not solve her problems. It's not a magic bullet. The OP isn't going to be left with much in the way of options if she doesn't agree to counseling, and couples counseling won't help resolve her depression.

OP, when did this depression come on? When did you first notice symptoms?

Old 05-29-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She wants a test tube baby.
It would be interesting to understand why she would want a test tube baby but I am going to bet I know what her answer is.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Please never have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships