Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 04:40 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehan2390 View Post
i saw this pic on fb where a couple was walking on the sidewalk and there was a comment from a girl complaining that the guy is doing the wrong thing by not walking on the curbside. I didn't comment but i was like "why and who notices that lol" in my head.

This got me thinking...when guys park their car, do women expect them to walk around and open their door too? and why?

I personally wouldn't do that cuz i think its unnecessary. I mean i'd hold a door open and let them enter the car first if we were in the cab but thats just common courtesy towards anyone.
I dated guys like that. I didn't expect for them to open my door, and assist me with everything, but found it really nice when they did.

I dated guys who were more casual, but when they see I need help, they'll help.

It's not a matter of what I thought.

They did little acts of kindness, because that's how they were raised to treat people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 06:38 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
The "woman on the inside" custom originated three centuries ago and it had a practical reason. In the horse & buggy era, it was done to protect woman against mud splattering from passing buggies.
And the cars of 2015 don't splatter? I also see it as a protection from vehicles that might leave the roadway. I want to be able to push my lady aside or take the brunt of the hit if a car is headed for us. *shrugs*

I find it a bit sad that so many young men today seem to find it demeaning to treat a lady with respect and go out of the way to open doors, etc. for her. I think I learned that at age 5 and have been doing it for 60+ years. I was taught it was the gentlemanly thing to do, so I did it with pride at a very young age and haven't found a reason to change.

It's no big deal, and it's probably not something that women should "expect", at least not openly. Still, I'd bet that it's appreciated by most.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:41 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdquarle View Post
My girlfriend is a strong independent woman that knows how to clean the gutters and repair drywall. That being said, I try to always open/close the car door for her. Walking into buildings, I always open the door and allow her to enter first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Charming!
I agree with Goddess. Your girlfriend is a lucky woman, sd.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:57 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
I always enjoyed opening car doors for women. Or waiting for a woman, and standing up when she enters the room. Might mean little to you, But most women appreciate it. Some deeds lead to another.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I always enjoyed opening car doors for women. Or waiting for a woman, and standing up when she enters the room. Might mean little to you, But most women appreciate it. Some deeds lead to another.
And some are just ridiculous. Standing for a woman who enters a room? Really? Unless a queen enters the damn room, I'm keeping my a$& seated. Waiting for a woman? What do you mean? If I say meet me at 9and she ain't ready at 9, forget about meeting.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:34 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
I was at the salon the other day and women were standing, I never once thought about giving up my seat.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
I'm going on 34 years of marriage my hubby still walks on the side of traffic, still open the door for me on the car and entering buildings, still helps me remove and put on my coat and pulls out the chair still takes my hand while driving and when we enter a room as we make our way.. ...These gestures make a man very sexy.....Just saying...
And that's why your husband is still a happily married man after 34 years.

I agree that gentlemanly gestures make a man incredibly sexy. It takes a strong, confident, very masculine man to WANT to do these things occasionally without feeling he's being a wimp, like some other men seem to feel.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I was at the salon the other day and women were standing, I never once thought about giving up my seat.
...he says, proudly.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:56 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
...he says, proudly.
Damn straight, no guilt here.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I love Southern politeness. You can't find that type of mannerism anywhere in the US.

I moved from Houston to CA and it's night and day with respect to polite mannerisms.
So true! I'm a transplanted Northerner, but Southern men are in a league of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships