Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:43 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think a lot of the time people just assume herpes screening is included. They don't need to be experts, just to pay better attention.
I wonder why the average person should assume that when they ask to get tested for STDs that not all major STDs will be included.

Oh well I agree that people have to pay good attention or be prepared for additional costs and appointments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 12:46 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
No I have plenty of emails flooding my mailbox as it is.

I'd be interested in hearing a little more on "knowing you have it does not change the course or outcome of disease" and that there's "no evidence that screening reduces transmission".

because that's just not the case.

If one knows they have herpes they can help prevent transmitting it to another person by not having sexual contact with others that do not have it.

Pretty straightforward conclusion and it doesn't take PubMed research by PhD's who probably have the disease to come to it.

I've been registered there for five years. I have yet to get an email I didn't deliberately ask for by deliberately clicking a box.

You saying "that's just not the case" is not science. It's a guy on the internet saying "that's just not the case."

And you're wrong. Medscape has citations, but I'm not going to do your research for you. If you were that "interested in hearing a little more," you'd look it up yourself!

Look, folks, threads like this do more harm than good. If you want health information, go to the professionals, not a message board of lay people. Research is not a peer-led activity among non-scientists.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:48 PM

Here is the article

"To Screen or Not to Screen?
The usual purpose of medical screenings, including STI screening, is the early identification of a disease in order to maximize health outcomes. For example, screening for chlamydia and promptly treating this STI can help prevent pelvic inflammatory disease, reduce the risk of subsequent ectopic pregnancy, and preserve women's fertility.[SIZE=2][19][/SIZE] However, in the case of HSV, early detection does not alter health outcomes for identified individuals nor does it affect the natural history of the infection. Regardless of when it is detected, herpes cannot be cured. At best, positive serology may help provide an alternate explanation for genital symptoms previously misidentified as yeast infections, urinary tract infections, razor burn, insect bites, friction rubs, allergic reactions, or any other of the myriad misdiagnoses given for subtle, atypical, but not wholly asymptomatic genital HSV. At worst, positive HSV serology may produce significant psychological distress, with repercussions for relationships, emotional health, and sexual well-being.[SIZE=2][20][/SIZE]

If screening cannot change outcomes for affected individuals, can it at least help prevent transmission to others? Although the US Preventive Services Task Force has concluded that there is no evidence that screening reduces transmission, there is limited evidence that knowledge of a partner's positive HSV status does help protect against HSV acquisition. In a 1996 study by Wald et al,[SIZE=2][21][/SIZE] researchers found that among initially discordant couples, the median time to HSV-2 acquisition was longer for participants whose partners disclosed their HSV status. The behaviors that produced that delay in transmission were not clear, although interestingly, consistent condom use was not one of them.[SIZE=2][21][/SIZE] Further research is needed to establish whether individuals who are made aware of their asymptomatic herpes can take effective measures to reduce transmission to others, perhaps by limiting their number of sexual partners, taking antiviral therapy, or committing to consistent condom use." http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/821875_5

quoting from Ward et al.. "
Knowledge of partners' genital herpes protects against herpes simplex virus type 2 acquisition.

Wald A[SIZE=2]1[/SIZE], Krantz E, Selke S, Lairson E, Morrow RA, Zeh J.
Author information
  • [SIZE=2]1[/SIZE]Department of Medicine, University of Washington Virology Research Clinic, Seattle, Washington, USA. annawald@u.washington.edu
Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Prospective studies of herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) infection in discordant couples have shown a low rate of transmission. However, unlike partners with genital herpes in prospectively monitored couples, most persons who transmit genital herpes are not aware of having the infection.
METHODS:

Because HSV has a short incubation period and most persons who acquire genital herpes can identify the transmitting partner, a time-to-event design was used to assess risks of HSV acquisition among patients with newly acquired genital herpes.
RESULTS:

Among 199 persons with laboratory-documented newly acquired genital herpes, the median duration of the sexual relationship with the transmitting partner was 3.5 months, and the median number of sex acts before transmission was 40. The median time to HSV-2 acquisition was greater among participants whose partners disclosed that they had genital herpes, compared with participants whose partners did not disclose their status (270 vs. 60 days; P = .03). In multivariate models, having a partner who disclosed that he or she had genital herpes remained a strong protective factor against genital HSV-2 acquisition (hazard ratio, 0.48 [95% confidence interval, 0.25-0.91]).
CONCLUSION:

These findings suggest that testing persons with HSV type-specific serologic assays and encouraging disclosure may result in a decreased risk of HSV-2 transmission to sex partners."

Knowledge of partners' genital herpes protects against herpes simplex virus type 2 acquisition. - PubMed - NCBI

It is should be obvious that one knowing they have genital herpes will help reduce transmission to others. No need for complex studies to point out the obvious IMO.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
if someone has herpes, and you go down on them...someone on here mentioned having a relative who got STD in his mouth, and later died of throat cancer.
That STD was HPV (the warts), not HSV (herpes). That was an internet myth. In fact, a modification of the herpes virus is being used to fight cancer, and it's FDA approved.

How the Herpes Virus Can Kill Cancer - US News

HPV:
HPV | HPV and Cancer | Human Papillomavirus | CDC

Old 01-03-2016, 05:51 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
No question about it, STD's are scary as he$$ - especially if you're sexually active & non-monogamous.

I'm clean, get tested on a regular basis, and I always ask women ahead of time if they're clean before I have sex with them. I typically will meet women online, and will bring this up before we even meet. I have actually found that many women are honest & will tell me about this ahead of time. I don't meet the ones that have STD's (since I don't want to pick anything up), but I really appreciate their honesty & it makes me realize that, yes, there are some honest women left in the world. Obviously, I'm not going to judge anyone - or think less of them - if they've picked up an STD. It can happen to anyone. Hell, I've heard of cases where women/men are married & are monogamous with their partners - and, then their partner goes out & picks up an STD, and gives it to them - very scary.

With the women I do sleep with, obviously I don't trust any women 100% so will always wear condoms in every sexual encounter.

As far as still getting an STD with a condom on, my understanding is - it depends. If it's a good condom, is put on properly, doesn't have any holes, and if your skin doesn't touch the skin of your partner (i.e., if the condom is on securely and covers all of the parts it's supposed to cover), then my take on this is that it's unlikely you would pick up an STD - even if your partner had one. That's the whole POINT of condoms.

The bottom line is this: DON'T EVER have unprotected sex - unless you're in a monogamous relationship & trust your partner 100%. I myself have been screwing around with women for years & don't trust anyone, and have never done it without a condom - but that's me.

Note there are things a guy & a girl can do sexually without going "all the way" that are relatively risk-free. Not going to go into this here, since this is a PG-13 board.
Sorry to be the bearer of some very bad news , but one condom doesn't protect you from STD'S ....HSV1&2 travels right thur one condom and so does genitalia warts , for me it takes at least 2 condoms to feel safe from STD'S 1 condom ruptures are going to happen because of factory rejects condoms being used....and it takes at the very least 4 condoms to stop Herpes and Genitalia Warts....

Old 01-03-2016, 06:13 PM

912 posts, read 915,440 times
It depends. There are different stands of herpes. If a man has a cold sore and gives a woman oral sex, she can contract oral herpes on her vagina. In that strand, a re-outbreak is very rare (and she must be having an active outbreak to be contagious -- do you really think she'd be having sex if she was having an active outbreak? I should hope not). Most never break out again after the initial outbreak. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of some very bad news , but one condom doesn't protect you from STD'S ....HSV1&2 travels right thur one condom and so does genitalia warts , for me it takes at least 2 condoms to feel safe from STD'S 1 condom ruptures are going to happen because of factory rejects condoms being used....and it takes at the very least 4 condoms to stop Herpes and Genitalia Warts....
It doesn't penetrate through the condom. The skin areas exposed are the areas that aren't protected. A condom is none permeable.

Sure they can tear however exposing the skin. I've never experienced that however.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:53 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
It doesn't penetrate through the condom. The skin areas exposed are the areas that aren't protected. A condom is none permeable.

Sure they can tear however exposing the skin. I've never experienced that however.
I think that you need to Google HSV1&2 Condom safety measures along with Genitalia Warts...

Old 01-03-2016, 06:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Note there are things a guy & a girl can do sexually without going "all the way" that are relatively risk-free.
Kind of like Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters steaming things up in the movie "The Jerk"??

Old 01-03-2016, 07:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I think that you need to Google HSV1&2 Condom safety measures along with Genitalia Warts...
There is no authority recommending multiple condoms being used at once. I think the condom manufacturers would be all over "double bagging" as a best practice (triple?) if it was proven effective. Maybe not even if it was effective, it would simply have to be possible...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships