Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:44 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
^I have a story just like Mr Spork above, but mine is rated PG.

Joined one website for a sporty-club-type thing and I'm also on OKCupid. Saw a girl and recognized her because she used the same picture in both places. Read her OKC ad in detail, honestly decided we were not a match (but we are looking for similar things.) Honestly it was kinda exciting to have access to "insider information" about what she was looking for, but a person from "real life".

Week later, saw her at the sport event. I himmed and hawwed but I knew there is NO WAY to walk up to her and say "I SAW YOUR OKCUPID AD!!!" So I just hung back figured if we end up talking, that'd be cool. But no. She never talked to me. She comes late, and leaves early. She's done that more than once... as if she's just cruising.
That would be Ms. Spork, but yeah...it's funny the kind of um...inside information you can get about people when they are on multiple sites like that. I am on OKC too but I really don't like it. I have even met 2 guys from there but just didn't feel good about either of them. Most of the people who contact me, it's pretty clear they didn't even bother to read anything in my profile, they just cruised my pics, noticed I'd be down for casual, and were like, "How YOU doin?" (like Joey, from friends? No? Anyhow.)

The other site, I've had some lame people contact me that I have no interest in, but I've also made contact with a couple of really friendly, smart ones who are very willing to have conversations about our interests and local events and such. A fairly significant difference is that on the other site, there is enough community grapevine that you can vet new contacts and avoid dangerous predators. In this circle that's pretty important. For something so crazy I can't believe I'm getting into it, it's amazingly sane and well managed by people who really know what they're doing. I'm so glad I found it, it beats the heck out of these dating sites, at least in this particular geographical area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 12:54 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
That would be Ms. Spork, but yeah...
sorry Mademoiselle Spork! I don't normally click on the profile to check.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
sorry Mademoiselle Spork! I don't normally click on the profile to check.
It's cool!

(For a moment when you posted, my brain flashed to "Mr. Spock" and I was like, aww...I miss Leonard Nimoy...)

Old 06-01-2015, 01:32 PM

60 posts, read 59,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It's cool!

(For a moment when you posted, my brain flashed to "Mr. Spock" and I was like, aww...I miss Leonard Nimoy...)
Ditto when I read it too........

Old 06-01-2015, 01:40 PM

60 posts, read 59,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I'm with you on that...not a good way to approach someone, pickup line or not! lol
I'm curious on why it wouldn't be a good way to approach someone?

I think it is an interesting way of using the "hey we have something in common" conversation point.

granted a 70yr old male using it is a bit ......wait he was in a club with sunglasses on........

um for a normal insecure guy to use it is a bit more acceptable. In my eyes at least

Old 06-01-2015, 01:47 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas84 View Post
I'm curious on why it wouldn't be a good way to approach someone?

I think it is an interesting way of using the "hey we have something in common" conversation point.

granted a 70yr old male using it is a bit ......wait he was in a club with sunglasses on........

um for a normal insecure guy to use it is a bit more acceptable. In my eyes at least

Because while it is very widely accepted now, and granted almost every single person is on some sort of a dating site nowadays, I think lots of people still have a certain stigma about it when push comes to shove. I never thought I'd be embarrassed by it until this guy came over to me and asked, and I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way (I think it's more common with the 30 and above crowd to feel this way). So as to not make anybody feel uncomfortable, IMO it's best to stay clear of mentioning you saw somebody's online dating profile, unless of course that's how you met.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:52 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I got a message by a coworker once

Old 06-01-2015, 01:54 PM

I think that if I were having a conversation with someone and they were very clearly alone, no friends around to overhear, just me and them, I might mention it.

Example: I'm shooting pool at the bar, and I step out for a smoke. There's only one other person out there and they look really familiar. I look at them for a few and then break into the "You look really familiar" talk and if I realize it I'd be totally comfortable mentioning that I think I saw them on OKC or something.

But if someone was there with them, I'd worry that maybe it wasn't something they just told people, or maybe she's his date...or whatever. I wouldn't bring it up. But then, I'm also sensitive enough to realize when something might make someone else uncomfortable. I have observed that plenty of the males in the world of OLD are apparently not aware of such things...

Old 06-01-2015, 01:55 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I got a message by a coworker once

In my brief foray back onto OLD last week and a look at tinder, I got messaged from two people that I had gone on dates years ago with, but they didn't recognize me. Haha.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:01 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
In my brief foray back onto OLD last week and a look at tinder, I got messaged from two people that I had gone on dates years ago with, but they didn't recognize me. Haha.
yeah, when I was on and off OLD for 3 years, I got messages from guys I went on dates, too! OMG. hhahaahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships