Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Any guy in a relationship knows this one.

it's that douche bad weak friend who is hoping you have a fight someday so he can tell her what a jerk you are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:26 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,285,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

it's that douche bad weak friend who is hoping you have a fight someday so he can tell her what a jerk you are
I REALLY HATE to say this, but deep down this is it. Most guys and girls have or had a friend like this in their circle, whether they want to admit it or not.

My best friend was a little unsure footed on if he was ready to get engaged or not, so he and his now fiancé went through some a little break up period. It wasn't even that official, since they shared all the same friends, so they still saw each other quite often. She immediately latched on to this guy that she worked with that was going through a divorce and was pretty lonely.

This guy showered her with adoration and they were texting constantly. My best friend caught wind of it and didn't care initially, but once they reconciled and got back together, it bothered him some. Why? Because the friend got his feelings hurt. You think he was just showering her with comments because she deserved them? Heck no, he wanted to be the knight in shining armor for her.

She wasn't without fault herself, by not shutting down the communication once she reconciled with her now fiancé. He kept communicating with her and getting rather vulgar and inappropriate talking about how her fiancé can't treat her as good as he could. Ultimately, she invited him in with the comments, but played the naïve card, because she liked it. For a short time she didn't know how or if she was going to get back together with her now fiancé.

In the end, she liked the attention that he gave her, but her heart was always with her fiancé. When she got what she wanted, which was her fiancé back, she really had no use for the friend anymore. Hence why he got his feelings hurt. Now for the friend, he should have known better and not put himself into that kind of situation. He should have known he would have been a rebound at best, because her emotions were all over the place.

Key is, he didn't want to be single anymore either, and this woman was a pretty good catch who wasn't going to stay on the market long. He tried to capitalize like most guys do, but she was never available to be emotionally captured by him.

He ended up moving away for a job promotion, because he had caught somewhat of a negative reputation with some of the women he worked with. It was better for him to start a new somewhere else than try and unravel what he had created here.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:33 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:

And of course us ditzy girls will forget why we chose to be friends with them rather than get involved romantically to begin with and.... fall right into their arms.
Nor can we trusted to act accordingly while in a relationship.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
And of course us ditzy girls will forget why we chose to be friends with them rather than get involved romantically to begin with and.... fall right into their arms.
Any woman that keeps a guy around for her own personal ego should not be trusted.

One thing to have a guy friend, it's another thing.. and disrespectful to keep a friend around who doesn't know the line.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Ladies, at the end of the day it's not about not being able to trust you with the guy. We trust you all day everyday. It's the guy we don't trust. Let's be honest, in most scenarios, a guy not only outweighs a woman, but can also over power her. Worst case scenario, you two are in a private setting and he can no longer hold back his feelings for you, and he emotionally and physically overreacts. Now we have a much bigger situation on our hands.

For most guys, we just don't want to deal with the guy that doesn't understand boundaries. Just like women don't want to deal with the female friend that all of a sudden is wanting to insert herself in all their plans.

I can remember when I was younger and was always wanting to be with my boys while they had girlfriends. They told me years later that they were a little aggravated at times, because I was always there. My friends weren't always going to turn me down from hanging out, but the girlfriends wanted more them time, and not "bro" time.

Once again, it's all about priorities and where you want your life to go. Do you prefer a strong emotional connection with a lover or a strong bond with a platonic opposite sex friend, who you know likes you more than a friend? Anytime I liked a woman more than just friends, it was only a matter of time before I was erased from the equation anyways. Mainly because her current relationship was more important than our friendship. Maybe I'm used to that kind of friendship treatment and have grown accustomed to it.

I've just never hand a long standing platonic friendship, because the friendship would dissolve because our lifestyles changed, or the new boyfriend offered more of what she was looking for. Most single people who are out looking for friends will be very open about that and you can tell. They're usually the ones hanging out with a bunch of different groups of people anyways.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Any woman that keeps a guy around for her own personal ego should not be trusted.

One thing to have a guy friend, it's another thing.. and disrespectful to keep a friend around who doesn't know the line.

What in heavens name does her "ego" have to do with anything? If anything has to do with " ego" it would be yours. Your ego can't accept the fact that she may have an interest in any other male besides you even when that interest is only platonic. You doubt your own value in her eyes and you're worried that there's some other guy who she'd find a more attractive. Best to keep her locked up for " your eyes only". You feel like you don't have control.
What would be more important is not his not knowing the line, but "her" not knowing the line which apparently you don't think she does which goes back to you're feeling she can't be trusted to do the right thing.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Ladies, at the end of the day it's not about not being able to trust you with the guy. We trust you all day everyday. It's the guy we don't trust. Let's be honest, in most scenarios, a guy not only outweighs a woman, but can also over power her. Worst case scenario, you two are in a private setting and he can no longer hold back his feelings for you, and he emotionally and physically overreacts. Now we have a much bigger situation on our hands.

For most guys, we just don't want to deal with the guy that doesn't understand boundaries. Just like women don't want to deal with the female friend that all of a sudden is wanting to insert herself in all their plans.

I can remember when I was younger and was always wanting to be with my boys while they had girlfriends. They told me years later that they were a little aggravated at times, because I was always there. My friends weren't always going to turn me down from hanging out, but the girlfriends wanted more them time, and not "bro" time.

Once again, it's all about priorities and where you want your life to go. Do you prefer a strong emotional connection with a lover or a strong bond with a platonic opposite sex friend, who you know likes you more than a friend? Anytime I liked a woman more than just friends, it was only a matter of time before I was erased from the equation anyways. Mainly because her current relationship was more important than our friendship. Maybe I'm used to that kind of friendship treatment and have grown accustomed to it.

I've just never hand a long standing platonic friendship, because the friendship would dissolve because our lifestyles changed, or the new boyfriend offered more of what she was looking for. Most single people who are out looking for friends will be very open about that and you can tell. They're usually the ones hanging out with a bunch of different groups of people anyways.
Rape? LOL.. Then "we" have a much bigger situation to deal with? Perhaps you can enlighten us as to how her being the one who was raped translates to "we" and please define " situation". Don't bother I already know.. Read on dude...
More smoke and mirrors to bolster your argument.. This one however I can relate to, just not how you might think.
When I was 21 I was beaten and raped in an underground parking garage. Beaten to the point of having to be hospitalized, and so severely that when caught he was charged with attempted murder.
When my DB of a b/f showed up.. The very first thing out of his mouth wasn't "OMG ! Are you ok" ?
The first words out of his mouth were "What were you doing"? " Why were you out so late by yourself"? What the hell were you thinking?"
Seemed like he was more concerned that someone else had had sex with HIS girlfriend rather than the fact that I'd been forced against my will and got my a** kicked to boot. When I broke up with him he said... Sorry this happened to you, but what did you expect? After pondering this for a while I still for the life of me can't figure out how her being assaulted constitutes "we" Unless of course you'd have an issue with her being assaulted.. Someone else rode your bicycle basically. And really everything that you and Burglar have posted is all about you,you, you and what you want and how you'd feel.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
What in heavens name does her "ego" have to do with anything? If anything has to do with " ego" it would be yours. Your ego can't accept the fact that she may have an interest in any other male besides you even when that interest is only platonic. You doubt your own value in her eyes and you're worried that there's some other guy who she'd find a more attractive. Best to keep her locked up for " your eyes only". You feel like you don't have control.
What would be more important is not his not knowing the line, but "her" not knowing the line which apparently you don't think she does which goes back to you're feeling she can't be trusted to do the right thing.
Huh? No.

What I said is that if a woman has a guy friend who does not know the line it is disrespectful.

Having a platonic friend is completely normal.

I don't see why you're taking such offense. It's not only about me, because women are not the only people who can have this happen. I've dropped women from my life who cannot understand the meaning of "I am in a committed relationship".

We're all entitled to be with who we want to be with and know what we'll deal with.

I will not be with a woman who keeps around guys who clearly want something to do with her. I do not keep that type of woman around either. Anything I want from a partner in a relationship is something I live by. If I'm going to have a long term relationship, I expect them to be on my wavelength with these type of things.

I'm sorry you're so offended, maybe you just love attention from other men.. but I truly don't care. I'm in a happy, committed relationship and we both feel the same way.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Rape? LOL.. Then "we" have a much bigger situation to deal with? Perhaps you can enlighten us as to how her being the one who was raped translates to "we" and please define " situation". Don't bother I already know.. Read on dude...
More smoke and mirrors to bolster your argument.. This one however I can relate to, just not how you might think.
When I was 21 I was beaten and raped in an underground parking garage. Beaten to the point of having to be hospitalized, and so severely that when caught he was charged with attempted murder.
When my DB of a b/f showed up.. The very first thing out of his mouth wasn't "OMG ! Are you ok" ?
The first words out of his mouth were "What were you doing"? " Why were you out so late by yourself"? What the hell were you thinking?"
Seemed like he was more concerned that someone else had had sex with HIS girlfriend rather than the fact that I'd been forced against my will and got my a** kicked to boot. When I broke up with him he said... Sorry this happened to you, but what did you expect? After pondering this for a while I still for the life of me can't figure out how her being assaulted constitutes "we" Unless of course you'd have an issue with her being assaulted.. Someone else rode your bicycle basically. And really everything that you and Burglar have posted is all about you,you, you and what you want and how you'd feel.
Then we can gladly agree to disagree. Like I've said too, it's all about boundaries. If you have a guy friend that's not respecting your boundaries within your relationship, than how platonic is that actual friendship? That's the only thing I'm saying. If opposite sex friend respects the relationship boundaries then I see nothing wrong with having those friends.

Just from my experience of dealing with those guys, and what women have told me, not all their guy friends they had for years respected her boundaries when she got in a relationship. I've had women not respect my boundaries in relationships too. It's about boundaries, not that you can't have opposite sex friends. Not all friends respect boundaries and that's when you have to rethink the friendship. Now, that friend is thinking about me me me.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:15 PM

I am not offended.. I am contributing to a discussion I am reading, opining, asking questions.. You know, point/counter point. I am actually having a little fun. I am debating. Having a strong opinion doesn't constitute being offended.
Inquiring minds want to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships