Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:19 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times

Advertisements

No way. My mom has black hair and brown eyes. I married a green eyed redhead, I discovered my fondness for redheads at an early age and eventually found one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 08:35 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
The LAST thing I want, for a relationship is a man like my father. And when I am having sex with a man, I sure as hell don't wanna be reminded of my father then. I wouldn't even date someone with the same name as my father. Luckily his name isn't so commen you'd hear it too often.

So, ultimately, not true for me. And it always sounded like a crock.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:42 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
The LAST thing I want, for a relationship is a man like my father. And when I am having sex with a man, I sure as hell don't wanna be reminded of my father then. I wouldn't even date someone with the same name as my father. Luckily his name isn't so commen you'd hear it too often.

So, ultimately, not true for me. And it always sounded like a crock.
What is it about your father that you would not want in your SO?

Old 06-06-2015, 08:49 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Stubborn
Loud / Obnoxious
Drinking Issues
Know-it-all
Bad with money
Irresponsible
Overly Sensitive

He's not a bad guy. But he's very immature, and all of those flaws are deal-breakers for me.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
I can't speak for Vanilla, but as someone who had a horrifically abusive father, why would I choose to to spend my life with someone like him?
Quote:

Old 06-06-2015, 08:53 AM

586 posts, read 831,099 times
In my case.

My wife is taller, slimmer, a different race and also speaks a different language to my mother. On the other hand she embodies all of the feminine attributes I associate with my Mother, most probably due to growing up with them and my mind 'absorbing' this as an ideal as she was, without a doubt, a wonderful Mum.

Never been attracted to women that were physically like my mother but as I thought about marriage and having children I found myself more interested in women that reminded of her... if that makes sense.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Stubborn
Loud / Obnoxious
Drinking Issues
Know-it-all
Bad with money
Irresponsible
Overly Sensitive

He's not a bad guy. But he's very immature, and all of those flaws are deal-breakers for me.
Makes sense. From my post #40.... which also applies to daughters..

The above applies to good mom-son relationships. When that relationship is not so good, she will not occupy that special place in her son's mind that's reserved for role models. Then there is something unresolved left. The son will most likely always be searching, whether he realizes it or not, for an opposite... somebody that, in his mind, can fulfill what he imagines is ideal and which was not there for him.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
In my case.

My wife is taller, slimmer, a different race and also speaks a different language to my mother. On the other hand she embodies all of the feminine attributes I associate with my Mother, most probably due to growing up with them and my mind 'absorbing' this as an ideal as she was, without a doubt, a wonderful Mum.

Never been attracted to women that were physically like my mother but as I thought about marriage and having children I found myself more interested in women that reminded of her... if that makes sense.
Very much so.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:12 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Who is the first person that a man loves? It's his mom, of course. She's his first source of unconditional love. And she becomes the symbolic model of what opposite-sex love should be like for him, whether he is aware of it or not. The things that become ideal in his mind can be something physical about her or maybe her personality traits or maybe a combination of both. But they are deep in his mind. And whether the man is aware of that or not, a man always has that as a reference point that he keeps falling back on.

The above applies to good mom-son relationships. When that relationship is not so good, she will not occupy that special place in her son's mind that's reserved for role models. Then there is something unresolved left. The son will most likely always be searching, whether he realizes it or not, for an opposite... somebody that, in his mind, can fulfill what he imagines is ideal and which was not there for him.

Along these lines, the relationship that the son's mother and father had is also very important. Why? Because he witnessed and learned that behavior from them. If it was a good relationship, that will serve him well. If it was abusive, physically or verbally, then that is most likely what he will take with him into his future relationships..... not so good.
Exactly.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:14 AM

779 posts, read 927,824 times
Quote:
Who is the first person that a man loves? It's his mom, of course. She's his first source of unconditional love. And she becomes the symbolic model of what opposite-sex love should be like for him, whether he is aware of it or not. The things that become ideal in his mind can be something physical about her or maybe her personality traits or maybe a combination of both. But they are deep in his mind. And whether the man is aware of that or not, a man always has that as a reference point that he keeps falling back on.

Along these lines, the relationship that the son's mother and father had is also very important. Why? Because he witnessed and learned that behavior from them. If it was a good relationship, that will serve him well. If it was abusive, physically or verbally, then that is most likely what he will take with him into his future relationships..... not so good.
Well, whether I realize it or not .... None of the women that I've been attracted to resemble my mother to even the slightest degree. Unless you're one of these post pubescent freaks who secretly has a thing for his mother, then you're not going to go around looking for women who remind you of your mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships