Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 08:09 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times

Advertisements

This idea has been floating around for a long time.... possibly started with Freud. Now a recent study from Finland leans this way. Incidentally, it does not seem to work the same for women... that they are attracted to men that resemble their dads..... but who's to say?

Guys, do you think this is true?

Gals, do you prefer that your SO resemble your dad?

Quote:
Your wife or girlfriend probably shares some close similarities with the first woman you ever fell in love with: your mother.

Why Your Wife Probably Resembles Your Mother | Men's Health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 08:24 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
I wouldn't say in appearance, but yeah. I had a wonderful mom. I have a wonderful wife. In fact, she's the best thing that has ever happened to me!

I've always thought my wife to be very much like my mother. I didn't want an opposite. That would have been misery!

BTW, I had really great parents and a great home life. My parents were in love and married for over 60 years. So consequently, they loved us, and took super good care of us.

I'm a happy camper!

Last edited by picklejuice; 06-05-2015 at 08:59 AM..

Old 06-05-2015, 08:46 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,046 times
Never really thought about it but in my head I always imagined John Ritter being a great husband and dad. I also thought he had features that reminded me of my dad so maybe?

Old 06-05-2015, 08:49 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
This idea has been floating around for a long time.... possibly started with Freud. Now a recent study from Finland leans this way. Incidentally, it does not seem to work the same for women... that they are attracted to men that resemble their dads..... but who's to say?

Guys, do you think this is true?

Gals, do you prefer that your SO resemble your dad?

Studies demonstrate both, and demonstrate them to be unconscious choices rather than active ones.

While guys may not choose someone who looks specifically like their mother, they will make choices which they associate with femininity, and the primary teacher for those qualities was Mom on one level or another.

Same with girls/women and masculinity.

Always and 100 percent? No, or the human specie would be far less "general", much more differentiated than diversified. But tendencies? Yeah, pretty much.

Of course, this can also be attributed to unconsciously seeking out our genotype, which physically is reflected as a phenotype... which ultimately means someone who looks like us in certain key characteristics such as skin colouration, hair types, facial features. Numerous studies have demonstrated this to be true as well, inasmuch as looking for and being attracted to those who resemble ourselves.

And if I, as a guy, am seeking a woman, and this applied, then wouldn't the woman I liked resemble a woman who looked akin to my phenotype? And who would that obviously be? Once more, Mom, or sisters (who also, coincidentally, look like Mom). But sisters could also look like Dad, hence the NON-association with this phenomenon.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,849 times
i'm attracted to the same hair color and eye color as my mom so maybe?

Old 06-05-2015, 09:44 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Not my experience. I've always been a good bit thinner, two or three inches taller, and had completely different everything than my exes' mothers, right down to lifestyle. Heck, what I wouldn't give to date a man whose mother was NOT a SAHM. Maybe I'd stop running into these guys who can't cook and are looking for someone to "give their homes a woman's touch" (translated: clean)! Really, the only thing I've ever had in common with most of their mothers is bustiness. Hmmm...

As for the reverse, meh, not really there, either. My father definitely looked Italian, and the men in my family all had that Al Pacino look in their youth. Most of my boyfriends have been WASPs and looked it. I've dated only one Italian-American my whole adult life, come to think of it, and he didn't really look Italian, either, even though he was, as paisans say, "100%."

Old 06-05-2015, 09:50 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,810,060 times
I'm a woman, and I can't say that I go for the same type as my dad expect for maybe height and build.

My dad was/is a very good father, but wasn't a great husband and is kind of a difficult person to deal with, so I wouldn't want a boyfriend/husband with a similar personality as him, even though I love him dearly and he's always been there for me.

I'm tall, and I get that from my dad, so I usually go for taller guys with a medium to larger build (not heavy, just broad like a football player), but not sure if that's cause they resemble my dad or because I'm tall myself and would generally like to date somebody taller/bigger than me.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:54 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I guess it depends on how he feels about his mother; my husband purposely sought out women who were nothing his mother (both in looks, personality, and demeanor), because it doesn't make much sense to go from the pot to the frying pan.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:05 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Physically, no.
Personality, character traits etc, yes

it stands to reason I would be comfortable with a women like the one I trusted and respected growing up. It is what is comfortable to me, she was the standard for how I judged all outside females from birth to adulthood.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:29 AM

813 posts, read 600,907 times
Oh, god no! I love mom but she looks like Robin Williams.

Maybe Finland doesn't have the same diversity in body/hair/height that the US does (just a guess, I know very little about Finland)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships