Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 04:30 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,104,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Did you go to college?

What you just described is more intellectual than the average college student.

I find it hilarious how people think so many of these college students have a high level of thinking, enjoy reading in their spare time and have an undying love to learn more.

The reality is that majority of college students are dumb as rocks, went to college because their parents made them and just want to get a degree so they can land a 55k/year job.

I went to a top 30 college and studied Aerospace Engineering, so don't try to tell me that I just went to a cheap no name school.

I find intellectual types from all walks of life, very smart people in all fields in all places.

The people that can't find them are blind or have their nose too high in the air.
Yes.
And if you're looking for someone even more intellectual than the average college-educated person, you'll have much better luck finding them in the ranks of academia than not.

Do you get that? Did they teach you in your top 30 school that while you might find something within two populations, one population will hold a much higher chance of this happening?

I completely agree that even most people with degrees don't impress me with their intelligence, intellectual curiosity, critical thinking skills, and worldly knowledge. But most people who have those things HAVE DEGREES. You see the difference there, sport?

BTW, I also agree there are a lot of smart, accomplished people without degrees. I have met them.

In our family/culture, college is a bare minimum of life. Like high school is for some people. It's just expected. Every single person I am related to in the first and second degree has more than a bachelors. Masters, M.D., J.D., MBA, PhD, or some combination of these. Most have multiple advanced degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 04:39 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,461,923 times
Quote:
The type of person that has to talk so poorly about people who didn't go to college are the ones who got useless degrees, make crap money and less than their counterparts who didn't go to college.

The only way they can feel better about their lives is by making sweeping generalizations based on larry the cable guy.
Ah yes, the "business analyst." $40,000 a year to be $50,000 in debt. In about 10 years when these conservative IT directors start retiring, this position will be 100% replaced by software. Software will spend way less time surfing the internet and vaping in the parking lot.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,828,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes.
And if you're looking for someone even more intellectual than the average college-educated person, you'll have much better luck finding them in the ranks of academia than not.

Do you get that? Did they teach you in your top 30 school that while you might find something within two populations, one population will hold a much higher chance of this happening?

I completely agree that even most people with degrees don't impress me with their intelligence, intellectual curiosity, critical thinking skills, and worldly knowledge. But most people who have those things HAVE DEGREES. You see the difference there, sport?

BTW, I also agree there are a lot of smart, accomplished people without degrees. I have met them.

In our family/culture, college is a bare minimum of life. Like high school is for some people. It's just expected. Every single person I am related to in the first and second degree has more than a bachelors. Masters, M.D., J.D., MBA, PhD, or some combination of these. Most have multiple advanced degrees.
It doesn't matter what you're more likely to find. If you willingly rule out anyone without a bachelor's degree without getting to know them then it means nothing about what you're more likely to find.

What Miu said about how she couldn't be compatible with someone because people without degrees drive SUVs and don't like bicycles is a clear example of how academics does not equal intelligence.

It's like me saying I won't date any Asians because I don't like math. Or me saying I won't date someone overweight because I don't like McDonald's

I personally don't care about someone's preferences but when they start making sweeping generalizations about a large portion of people, it annoys the crap out of me. I do not like unintelligent statements such as the posts from miu.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:59 AM

13,579 posts, read 9,599,429 times
The argument for the past half-dozen pages disregards the importance of heuristics in making quick (though by no means foolproof) decisions in winnowing down a large field. Of course mere possession of a college diploma is no guarantee of intellectual curiosity, proclivity towards lifelong learning or sophisticated taste in culture. Neither does the lack of a degree relegate a person to horrid and pathetically banal Prole tastes and interests. But there is a correlation. And we rely on heuristics – sometimes simplistic heuristics – as basis for rather momentous decisions.

Consider: an employment candidate who arrives tardy to an interview may or may not be irresponsible. He/she might be a fine candidate, with excellent work-ethic and exquisitely honed skills. To dismiss such a candidate based solely on peeved offense at the person's tardiness would be a disservice to the firm, from the hiring-manager's viewpoint. Or is it? With 100 candidates to interview, perhaps it makes perfect sense to regard being late to something as important as an interview as useful heuristic for gauging the candidate's overall values. And so, the tardy candidates are dismissed by fiat.

Not having 100 candidates to interview, I need not grasp for such heuristics, or be so inflexible. Nevertheless, the heuristics are useful as guide for where to look, where to place oneself to find the most appealing potential candidates.

Much was said to debunk the supposed correlation between intelligence and college graduation. Well, I agree with this dim view. Intelligence itself isn't necessarily a key discriminator either. A person with fine mathematical ability, strong spatial visualization skills, clever deftness at problem-solving, at pattern-recognition and so forth, would score high on most measures of intelligence. But while such a person might be a strong player in chess or bridge, he/she might be uninterested in literature or the arts, incurious about the surrounding world, content to peck away at puzzles in the newspaper without exploring much or achieving much.

What matters, I assert, is less the raw intelligence than its application, and how that application ennobles the overall person.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,338,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes.

No doubt the majority of people I know that have impressed me with said skills and intellectual prowress have college and professional degrees, with most being in STEM fields or academia. (The average college grad does not impress or interest me. Those in STEM and academia possessed very similar interests, world views and manner of thinking, so I sought these types.)

I've probably met two individuals who fit this bill that did not have a bachelors degree, and I dated both, married the latter (though he did go to a UC school for engineering, but left to pursue another path and eventually got his AA).

While having a degree was never an absolute requirement when I was dating, there needed to be evidence, strong evidence, of intellectual curiosity and critical thinking, because these traits and qualities were necessary for compatibility for me.

My first husband, currently in school completing his undergrad, is probably one of the most brilliant and creative minds I know. He spent 12 years in the Marine Corps, 8 of which he was a highly valued intelligence analyst. He's a genius and well-educated prior to ever going back to school. Perhaps rare, there are individuals that can possess the qualities and traits you mention without having formal education.

I'll toot my own horn and state this absolutely applied to me long before I returned to school, but I am one of few that values autodidacticism and intellectualism outside the classroom. Actually, for my undergrad, the core of my program (religion/comparative religion), I didn't learn anything "new" because I studied it extensively for a decade prior to going back to school. I only went back so I could "legitimize" what I already knew and studied for many years, and because I eventually want to teach.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:21 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,434,938 times
I have a bachelor's degree with a double major. My late husband was a college dropout and one of the smartest people I've ever met. While we started out with me making more, when he died, he was making more money than I did. So, no, it's not a requirement for me. I have a couple of male friends who don't understand this and feel I should make it a requirement and not "date down."

There are things that are more important to me and I'm sure it's been pointed out that college education does not necessarily equate to intelligence (I stopped reading the responses on page 1).

Old 06-10-2015, 10:24 AM

17,386 posts, read 11,902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Other than the insufficient brow-ridges, and the sloping of the forehead not being quite appropriate, everything else in the above description is hauntingly close description of my non-college-educated acquaintances and neighbors. Don't forget garish oversized pickup trucks, Bud Light (or was it Lite?), Confederate flags, smokeless tobacco, fanatical following of NASCAR, and tattoos.

It is remarkable how a sweeping generalization could be so condescending, so crude and dismissive, and yet so eerily accurate.
Wow. So condescending and arrogant.

I guess you would never want to hang out with my husband. A high school dropout (mom with substance abuse issues that couldn't work for awhile), that went back to get his GED and never went further in his education.

He drives a small, beater pickup, drinks ice tea, doesn't smoke, doesn't own a confederate flag, not into nascar at all (or any sport, for that matter), and doesn't have a tattoo (or piercing).

He is a hard worker (works 15-hours a day) at a commission job where he is the high earner. He enjoys hanging around the house, watching foreign films and heading into our city center for dinner and drinks.

He is a lot of fun to be around, treats me like a queen and is as honest as the day is long. I'd much rather enjoy his company than the elitist company of an education snob.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:45 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,037,481 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter what you're more likely to find. If you willingly rule out anyone without a bachelor's degree without getting to know them then it means nothing about what you're more likely to find.

What Miu said about how she couldn't be compatible with someone because people without degrees drive SUVs and don't like bicycles is a clear example of how academics does not equal intelligence.

It's like me saying I won't date any Asians because I don't like math. Or me saying I won't date someone overweight because I don't like McDonald's

I personally don't care about someone's preferences but when they start making sweeping generalizations about a large portion of people, it annoys the crap out of me. I do not like unintelligent statements such as the posts from miu.
Touchy, touchy. Why so defensive? I don't care at all that you don't like me. And you shouldn't take my opinions so to heart.

And my main point was that I don't have the time to nor do I want to date huge numbers of men. I also don't have the time to be true friends with hundreds of people, That said, I do make these generalizations to weed out almost every man as a potential s/o so that I am left with just a small handful of men to consider trying a potential long term romantic relationship with. So I don't see why your panties are all bunched up over my attitude.

With the millions of single men out there, of course I need to be able to easily knock all those millions except for a few out of the running... geesh. Chill out and grow a thicker skin.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:44 AM

13,579 posts, read 9,599,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I guess you would never want to hang out with my husband. A high school dropout (mom with substance abuse issues that couldn't work for awhile), that went back to get his GED and never went further in his education.

He drives a small, beater pickup, drinks ice tea, doesn't smoke, doesn't own a confederate flag, not into nascar at all (or any sport, for that matter), and doesn't have a tattoo (or piercing).
What happens when an ironic statement negates itself? Perhaps the abrasiveness goes soft.

The person in the above description would not commodiously fit amongst my blue-collar neighbors. Indeed he'd be shunned no less than would a constitutional law professor who subsequently worked as a community organizer.

But I'd be loath to use the term "hang out"; it's insufficiently conceited.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:16 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,828,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Touchy, touchy. Why so defensive? I don't care at all that you don't like me. And you shouldn't take my opinions so to heart.

And my main point was that I don't have the time to nor do I want to date huge numbers of men. I also don't have the time to be true friends with hundreds of people, That said, I do make these generalizations to weed out almost every man as a potential s/o so that I am left with just a small handful of men to consider trying a potential long term romantic relationship with. So I don't see why your panties are all bunched up over my attitude.

With the millions of single men out there, of course I need to be able to easily knock all those millions except for a few out of the running... geesh. Chill out and grow a thicker skin.
I don't need thicker skin, I have an engineering degree.

I just find it strange that someone who wants someone highly educated and worldly has such a one track mind.

Most people who are actually intelligent don't need to act like they can't even socialize with someone [without a degree]. At the end of the day you simply think like that due to your shortcomings and to make yourself feel better.

I'm pretty sure if you had so many options you wouldn't make posts on here about so many dating difficulties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships