Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:26 PM

11,143 posts, read 7,907,176 times

Advertisements

Well... she’s legal now. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 06:10 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,498,403 times
The rule is half your age + 7. For a 20 year old, that means 17 is the lower limit. Therefore, not weird, but any younger and it would be.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:02 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,353,781 times
Most 17 year olds are still in High School. So it might be a bit weird if your out and she has a curfew or has to run home to do homework.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 596 times
The 20 year old should have zero interest in dating a 17 year old. Is someone in college is going to bring their 17 year old, not even legally allowed to drink high school girlfriend to one of his college parties? He's going to take her on double dates with his guy college friends and their college girlfriends? Or will he have to tell her all about the R rated movie they went to see but she wasn't old enough to get into?

On the flipside, is he going to hang out with her 17 year old friends and their 17 year old boyfriends?

She's 17. To her high school friends she's a queen. Dating a college guy while her friends and other girls are dating high school teenage boys. It's the opposite for guys his age though. People are more wondering why you're creeping around the high school parking lot looking for a girlfriend?

It's the same as if it was a 20 year old girl dating a 17 year old guy. He (the high schooler) would look like a champion for hooking up with a college girl. The 20 year old girl however would look weirdo for choosing a 17 year old.

Sounds like someone already thinks it's sketchy, but is trying to find a way to fit it into life anyways.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,285,869 times
Might I point out to you guys that it depends.

My father was 26 when he picked up my 17 year old mother. To avoid misleading everyone she was not in high school...she was a college sophomore. They married a year later and i was born a year after that.

Let me be clear - this is two relatively heavy hitters. Both graduated college and both ended up with law degrees. My mother in fact had an LLM from NYU in taxation. She ended up one of the US experts on the mechanism of the tax code.

the bottom line? My father was a victim. He partnered up with a gal simply way more than he could handle. They generally made peace but inside there was no doubt who was in charge.

So do we make a law that 17 year olds may not dominate 26 year olds?

Old 08-17-2019, 07:02 PM

92 posts, read 108,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra_Commander View Post
The 20 year old should have zero interest in dating a 17 year old.

It's the opposite for guys his age though. People are more wondering why you're creeping around the high school parking lot looking for a girlfriend?
I understand what you mean, at 20 years old hes an adult and at 17 legally they are minors. But what if she was 18 which is a legal adult, would you still be against it if he was 20 or 25 dating her? Why? [Maby if she was 20 or 25 and the other girl was 18 then it would be ok for them to date or share a room, right?=Just what they want and just what they need but that 20 or 25 year old man is not. Admit it.]

Last edited by len ren; 08-17-2019 at 07:57 PM..

Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 AM

669 posts, read 318,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by len ren View Post
I understand what you mean, at 20 years old hes an adult and at 17 legally they are minors. But what if she was 18 which is a legal adult, would you still be against it if he was 20 or 25 dating her? Why? [Maby if she was 20 or 25 and the other girl was 18 then it would be ok for them to date or share a room, right?=Just what they want and just what they need but that 20 or 25 year old man is not. Admit it.]
That wouldn't be cradle robbing, but I remember around that age, people who did that, I thought was a bit socially or developmentally challenged, or just desperate. Especially some guys I knew. I looked at it as "preying" on the innocent.

At that age, even 2 years is a notable difference if one is in university vs highschool. The power imbalance is great too. A 17 yr old will look at a 20 yr old and their friends in awe. Like "wow, so grown up.. doing grown up things".

Kind of like the old highschool star quarterback hanging around the highschool parking lot and hanging out with the players still, and is the only driver. Actually 20 and 16 would be much worse. 17 is somewhat of a limit at that age range I would say. But of course, 18 and 21 is much better, and 20 to 23 is much more accepted.

Even the discrepancy in one working in the professional world, graduated, dating someone in the earlier stages of post-secondary school would lead to more differences, and relationship strain. Ppl at that age would much rather be around their peers. My now wife is a year ahead. She was working full-time while I was in my last year of school. Naturally I slept in, etc. So on a friday when she was done work, she wanted to go out, but I was still in that stage where I didn't want to head out until 9pm or so, whereas she wanted to go for dinner, etc.

Yes, can still work, but let's face it, it's not generally the norm at that age.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 6,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Hey anyone want to weigh in on this situation? If a 20 year old college guy meets a 17 year old high school girl and starts dating her would you call this cradle robbing or is it no bid deal? The age gap is around 3.5 years. Or does is just depend? (Please note this situation takes place in Toronto, which may or may not matter).
Don't see any issue with it, the difference between 17 and 18 is about the same as the difference between 18 to 19 or 19 to 20. You definitely grow and change as a person year to year until you are in your mid 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships