Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:50 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
What if I don't drink then what?
Or what if she doesn't drink? That's an important point, imo. That's why coffee/tea dates work so well for the first meet-and-greet/mutual check-out. Or ice cream/fro-yo, or a bakery, or something, depending on what the cool, popular place is in your town.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:55 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Order a club soda
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
What if I don't drink then what?

Old 06-07-2015, 01:00 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetelle View Post
You don't have to drink alcohol. It's perfectly acceptable to suggest coffee/ tea for a first meeting. If you don't drink either of those, most places serve water.

I don't care for the "walk in the park" first meeting. I prefer to sit across a table from someone, look them in the eye, have 15 or 20 minutes to chat, and see if there is any chemistry. I don't like feeling that I'm being "worked into" someone's schedule during their daily walk or run. If they don't have time for coffee or a drink, they probably won't have time to date.

Do you talk to prospective dates on the phone before you meet them? I weed out at least 50% of potential dates through phone conversations.
Yes I do and that's when I determine if I want to meet them face to face. Right now the woman I am talking to have no idea that I am not meeting until Mid-July so I plan to make up excuses until then. lol

But normally I was talking for about a week and then suggesting a meeting.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Or what if she doesn't drink? That's an important point, imo. That's why coffee/tea dates work so well for the first meet-and-greet/mutual check-out. Or ice cream/fro-yo, or a bakery, or something, depending on what the cool, popular place is in your town.
My next meet suggestion will be a "water ice" followed by a walk to a nearby park.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:08 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
I rarely drink but I'd order soda. I often had guys wanting to pay for dinner so I declined. Instead I'd meet for a soda or a light snack during offbeat hours like afternoon on weekends. That way neither if us pays a lot for a meeting not likely to become a date.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:38 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
First time I met my wife was over Sunday dinner. I drove the 70 miles to where she lived and told her to pick where we ate. She picked this locally owned restaurant where quite a few local folks go after church. She figured that way, if she disappeared after meeting me, somebody would know what I looked like. lol I dated a couple others before we met and we always went out to eat. And none of the meals cost me more than $25. Was told by one of the others that she liked the idea of not going to a fancy restaurant. Why blow a lot of money when you can get just as good food at a place that is less crowded and you can sit and talk?

Old 06-07-2015, 01:42 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
"Should"? No. It's whatever both parties decide on. For me, the majority of first dates were dinner or lunch. I've never done a coffee date, actually.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
First time I met my wife was over Sunday dinner. I drove the 70 miles to where she lived and told her to pick where we ate. She picked this locally owned restaurant where quite a few local folks go after church. She figured that way, if she disappeared after meeting me, somebody would know what I looked like. lol I dated a couple others before we met and we always went out to eat. And none of the meals cost me more than $25. Was told by one of the others that she liked the idea of not going to a fancy restaurant. Why blow a lot of money when you can get just as good food at a place that is less crowded and you can sit and talk?
I prefer to spend $25 or more if we are seeing each other for a second time because that would mean she is interested in me. I will not spend $25 on any first meet the remainder of this year which means it's up to me to plan the right place to meet.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
"Should"? No. It's whatever both parties decide on. For me, the majority of first dates were dinner or lunch. I've never done a coffee date, actually.
Was it with someone you met in public or someone from a dating site?

Old 06-07-2015, 01:58 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
If you are going to meet them at dinner time, offer to meet them someplace fast casual.......Chipotle or offer to meet them for a drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships