Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want kids?
Gal - Yes 39 21.08%
Gal - No 51 27.57%
Gal - Unsure 22 11.89%
Guy - Yes 30 16.22%
Guy - No 32 17.30%
Guy - Unsure 11 5.95%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:38 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
then you are in for some interesting times...

By seeing everything, kids today miss a lot - Television - MSNBC.com

bwuahahahahahahahha

LOL, interesting indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:54 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,979 times
I voted "No".

I used to want kids. My husband was all for it and then, life just kinda happened and now we're so spoiled that there's no room for kids. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/shrug.gif (broken link)

Old 01-21-2008, 02:57 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
Get out of my head, woman! You're saying all of the things that I've thought from time to time. It is much better for me not to have kids at all than to have them with a totally unsuitable partner. I've always jokingly said that I loved my unborn children (aka my eggs) too much to give them a sorry excuse for a daddy lol.
Hey I used to joke about that! "A man would have to be amazing to be the father of MY children..." and if I couldn't find anyone who was, then no-kids-for-me. But I took a different path obviously. Seriously, I can't tell you how many women I've come across (many of them family members) who didn't put much thought into picking the fathers for whatever reason. It's hard on the mothers and the especially the kids.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Hey I used to joke about that! "A man would have to be amazing to be the father of MY children..." and if I couldn't find anyone who was, then no-kids-for-me. But I took a different path obviously. Seriously, I can't tell you how many women I've come across (many of them family members) who didn't put much thought into picking the fathers for whatever reason. It's hard on the mothers and the especially the kids.

We are in complete agreement here! I just couldn't imagine having a child without putting a lot of thought into the father selection process. I think you're my newfound role model because I certainly won't be procreating with just anybody.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:43 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,840 times
Default NO!! No kids!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam72 View Post
Interesting results. It's disturbing to myself, as someone who wants children one day, that the nay'ers for wanting children is disproportionately female.

Women who've made this decision undoubtedly have to be prepared for being "weeded out" among a large group of the eligible men. If this survey has any bearing on reality, many women who've decided not to procreate will have a higher probability of being alone.

I'm not necessarily more compatible with my current girlfriend than I was with my last, but the mere fact this one wants children makes the decision so much easier for me.

Question is: have any women changed their minds based pricipally on the consequences of possibly forgoing a very compatible mate?
I know I don't children. But, I date someone wanting children, so I'm trying to change his mind.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I do but then again sometimes I get scared and then I don't. It's difficult when people make it seem like at 27 I should have had atleast one child and be married. You would be surprised at some of the looks I get when I say I don't have any. You would think I was a leper!
I used to get the same stupid looks.
Tell them a sob story of how you are unable to have kids and they will stop asking and looking at you like you're a leper. That shuts them up.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:12 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
I have a stepson. He's grown now. I'm 48 and beyond the point mentally of having kids. Physically almost too.
Ugh, I like to have a life and you really can't do what you want when you have kids.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:36 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I'm a woman in my early 30's who has been married for several years. I'm really on the fence about this. My husband and I never discussed having children before we got married or before we turned 30, for that matter. It just was never on our radar--the thought of children didn't really cross my mind until I turned 30.

But I have never felt the "baby itch" nor have I ever really wanted kids. But I also don't know much about kids. I am an only child, and I don't have any nieces or nephews. I am never around kids. I have no friends who are pregnant or who have kids. So it's really hard to say. Maybe if I was around kids more I would want one of my own. Right now, I'm totally on the fence.

What I do know, however, is that I am terrified of pregnancy and birth and I don't think I want to get pregnant. My husband wants biological kids. This is a big issue between us. I'd prefer to wait 5 or more years before revisiting the issue. He'd like to start having kids in the next 2 years. It's very stressful when one spouse wants kids and the other doesn't. I have no idea what to do about this, but I am nearly 100% sure that I do not want to be pregnant.
Pregnancy and giving birth are really not that bad, IMO.

Our bodies were made for this process, and my children were born with out drugs, etc...

I am not going to sit here and say it was pain free... but it was not the worst thing in the world, I don't think.

You see that baby, and all that you have gone through during the process, just disappears.

For me, anyway...

Even today, almost 14 years after my first child... it is just a miracle. A gift.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I'm a woman in my early 30's who has been married for several years. I'm really on the fence about this. My husband and I never discussed having children before we got married or before we turned 30, for that matter. It just was never on our radar--the thought of children didn't really cross my mind until I turned 30.

But I have never felt the "baby itch" nor have I ever really wanted kids. But I also don't know much about kids. I am an only child, and I don't have any nieces or nephews. I am never around kids. I have no friends who are pregnant or who have kids. So it's really hard to say. Maybe if I was around kids more I would want one of my own. Right now, I'm totally on the fence.

What I do know, however, is that I am terrified of pregnancy and birth and I don't think I want to get pregnant. My husband wants biological kids. This is a big issue between us. I'd prefer to wait 5 or more years before revisiting the issue. He'd like to start having kids in the next 2 years. It's very stressful when one spouse wants kids and the other doesn't. I have no idea what to do about this, but I am nearly 100% sure that I do not want to be pregnant.
doglover 29 - it sounds like you don't want to have kids. The pregnancy part is MINOR compared to raising children. If you don't think you can handle pregnancy then maybe you should stay on the side of the fence that leans toward no kids because if you can't handle that... then you can't handle kids. Period.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
I had 4 of them and wish I had none. Kids are really worthless now days. They are like dogs- cute when puppies but as they get older nothing but trouble and heartbreak. Unlike dogs you cannot take them to "Kid Shelter" and dump them off when they get old. I am not saying this about my own but all but one of them is an adult now. But if I was young again, hell no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships