Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Good you date or marry someone who use to be homeless?
Yes 29 72.50%
No 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 05:40 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Could you date or marry someone who use to be homeless?
Sure, why not? Someone who faced adversity and struggled in life and still comes out strong and resilient kind people have qualities I far admire over those who have things handed to them, then cowardly scoffs at the homeless or those who have it less fortunate.

Depends on the individual, and their attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 05:44 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
As long as they are sane.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:16 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,947 times
Well being that 52% of the american population is 2 paychecks away from being homeless, I would say many of you already have and dont know it.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:42 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
You know what. There are so many reasons for being homeless that I'd have to say it depends.

First off, I was just (sort of) faced with the prospect of dating someone who is homeless. Homeless in that the person is living in an RV in someone's driveway (found that out on the meet and greet date). I am not interested for a variety of reasons, but being that financially strapped is one of them. Yeah, I am being judgmental, but I think a person should at least be able to stand on their own two feet before taking on the luxury of dating.

Now, past tense... if they were homeless. Maybe. It depends. Homeless in that you had to move back in with your parents because you lost your job, I don't care about that. You were a homeless child back in your past, no way would I hold that against someone. Or even this RV date I had--if the person wasn't actively homeless and this was something in the past, I'd give it a shot. But homeless in that you are living on the street and no one will take you in. No. Why? Because most people in that situation have extreme mental illness (and while I pity them and have sympathy for them as human beings, I just don't want to date someone that mentally ill) OR they are homeless like that because they are such an awful person that no one would take them in... no friends, not even family. Makes me wonder about that person is no one would help out.

I lived on the street for a time, and I still had people fighting to be a part of my life. I had to break free from my family and others that truly had it in for me.

And I will say I am extremely mentally ill. Yet, I was more or less a celebrity during the time on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
One would be surprised as to how many people have experienced this from all walks of life. Anyone who pulled themselves out of it deserves kudos, Not judgement. it's one of the scariest situations a person can find themselves in and changes a person in so many ways.
If anything, they have plenty of character compared to the snobs who were born into wealth. Then again, people like me could get prideful and critical to others who are where we were.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:47 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Being homeless was the absolute biggest lesson I have ever experienced in my life.

I was still a property owner but had shocking tenants who I couldn't evict and so had to live in my car for a while.

Everyone assumes such horrible things about you.

Homelessness - I say, "there but for the grace of God, go I".

Old 06-17-2015, 01:56 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Had to think about it a bit because I was not so sure. Some times, people just fall through the cracks. Ive seen this happen to some good people due to events beyond their control. This list of celebs who were once homeless helped me change my mind:

25 celebrities who were once homeless | Entertainment - KCRA Home

Carmen Electra, Jewell, J-Lo and Halle Berry were all homeless at one time. So, uh, YES I could see myself dating/marrying someone who was once homeless.

Must admit though, for most women who are homeless they must really, really be trying at being homeless or there is some drug/mental issue going on. Of course, drugs use and mental instabilities are instant dealbreakers for me so though folks would be a no.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:14 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Had to think about it a bit because I was not so sure. Some times, people just fall through the cracks. Ive seen this happen to some good people due to events beyond their control. This list of celebs who were once homeless helped me change my mind:

25 celebrities who were once homeless | Entertainment - KCRA Home

Carmen Electra, Jewell, J-Lo and Halle Berry were all homeless at one time. So, uh, YES I could see myself dating/marrying someone who was once homeless.

Must admit though, for most women who are homeless they must really, really be trying at being homeless or there is some drug/mental issue going on. Of course, drugs use and mental instabilities are instant dealbreakers for me so though folks would be a no.
I am with you on the drugs and mental instabilities. But why would women be any different? Unless you are implying most men don't have friends or relatives to move in with/only women have that kind of support network.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:45 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Uh, I'm pretty sure it's use** to be Use to/ Used to.
Friendly tip from the resident writer/editor: It's "used to be" in this case. "She used to be homeless" means she was homeless and is not now. It's past tense, and past tense calls for the d.

Anyway, to answer the question, it depends on why he was homeless and how long ago it was.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:52 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
the answer to these thoes of threads is always the same for me
"It depends"

Their is no one blanket answer as everyone situations and circumstances are different

Old 06-17-2015, 03:07 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,335 times
Quote:
Could you date or marry someone who used to be homeless?
Umm...I think most people care more about what the person is like NOW. His/her current personality, lifestyle, personal/professional direction in life, his beliefs, morals, ethics, interests, passions, humor.

As for the past, the main things that matter to many people are:
a) the WHY behind that past lifestyle or event...for example, why was he homeless?
b) how that past shaped or influenced the person's current life (if at all)...emotionally, worldview, personality-wise, physically, self-esteem-wise, lifestyle and so on.

Also, one's own experiences can play a factor into this. Perhaps some woman got stalked a couple of times by a few homeless guys, causing her to be wary of all homeless people in the future (including a hesitancy to date them). This reaction is usually rooted in emotion and security moreso than logic.

And then there are folks who are closed-minded, ignorant and are quick to stereotype or even show prejudice. Such folks will reject all homeless people..."just because".

Your question simply cannot be answered in a simplistic black-and-white fashion. There are too many variables, and everyone and every circumstance is different.

------

TL;DR - It depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships