Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 04:27 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
As much as Im against getting involved with someone in a relationship (crumbling or not) I'm putting away my moral compass on this one and say go4it! BUT put your emotions on check! <----important

Women in these situations are emotionally clouded. Remember, youre risking your friendship if you proceed.

Friendships are just as transient as relationships. Might as well risk it.

There is a good possibility of simply being the rebound guy, so take that into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 04:51 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Friendships are just as transient as relationships. Might as well risk it.

There is a good possibility of simply being the rebound guy, so take that into consideration.
The OP might be that type that isn't looking to be a a rebound, idk. I'm sure, he wouldn't pass up getting laid, but in most cases, somebody is getting hurt, especially if the two are close/best friends. Oh well, Lol.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
The OP might be that type that isn't looking to be a a rebound, idk. I'm sure, he wouldn't pass up getting laid, but in most cases, somebody is getting hurt, especially if the two are close/best friends. Oh well, Lol.

haha yeah, but in reality.. the OP is probably better off being a rebound guy than some friend who just simply wants more.

Neither is good, but at least if he's the rebound he gets laid AND has a shot of it being more than just a rebound.

I'd take my chances and make a move.. not with words.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:06 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
haha yeah, but in reality.. the OP is probably better off being a rebound guy than some friend who just simply wants more.

Neither is good, but at least if he's the rebound he gets laid AND has a shot of it being more than just a rebound.

I'd take my chances and make a move.. not with words.
I'm setting up a movie and drinks date. I agree that an organic approach would be best instead of some grand proclamation. Just talk to her like I normally do and be myself, then see if the situation becomes intimate or whether she keeps me at a platonic friend distance.

Ultimately I would prefer not to be merely the rebound guy. The friendship is very important to me, she's one of my few close friends in the States. On the other hand, bottling up my feelings isn't very healthy either.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I'm setting up a movie and drinks date. I agree that an organic approach would be best instead of some grand proclamation. Just talk to her like I normally do and be myself, then see if the situation becomes intimate or whether she keeps me at a platonic friend distance.

Ultimately I would prefer not to be merely the rebound guy. The friendship is very important to me, she's one of my few close friends in the States. On the other hand, bottling up my feelings isn't very healthy either.

That's a great way to go about it.

Don't do the whole "omg I've had feelings for you so long we should try to make it work I love you". You'll almost 99% make it awkward and get a rejection.

What you're doing seems like a good approach. Try for more physical contact and see where it goes. If she's into it, maybe try making a move.

Don't feel OBLIGATED to try to kiss her right away on the first time you guys hang out like that, but definitely try to keep things moving in the right direction. She's not going to find a new guy to date between the first and second time you guys hang out.

Make a few hints, try to go for something on your first "date" like this, but if it you're not feeling it or seems like she isn't.. maybe hold off til the second one.

You may or may not be just a rebound guy. Who knows, no one can predict the future, but you'll never know if you don't try and if you don't you'll just eventually be the friend that drifted apart after time.. like most friendships of opposite sexes go.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:52 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
As much as Im against getting involved with someone in a relationship (crumbling or not) I'm putting away my moral compass on this one and say go4it! BUT put your emotions on check! <----important

Women in these situations are emotionally clouded. Remember, youre risking your friendship if you proceed.
This is solid advice...
I'll add that I've been through many, many friends who were waiting on the sidelines
(as I inevitably found out) that articulated their secret desires after
other relationships I was in didn't work out.

All I can say is there's no turning back, once a guy says something along those lines.
I don't look at him the same way & the friendship is basically over.

But hey if you're thinking she's into you on that level, take the chance.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:39 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
All I can say is there's no turning back, once a guy says something along those lines. I don't look at him the same way & the friendship is basically over.
Came here to say this, basically. Be prepared to lose her as a friend if it doesn't work out romantically.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:57 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
At the end of your life, when you look back at everything..... which option will you regret not taking?

Guard your heart though Duck, this is always a tricky situation.

We wish you the best, and you can always refer her here for references. Wait.... telling her your a forum nerd might not be the best lead in.... don't tell her that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Hmmm.....in the spur of the moment...it may be fun.

But since I'm a prudent thinker....I probably wouldn't do it. It depends on your emotional state and how well you'll take it if things don't go as planned.

If I had a male friend like that, I would have reservations about seriously considering him for a romantic partner, at least, right at that moment.

I guess the best course of action is to go with the flow and guard your emotions.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:21 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I'd tell her how you feel without any ambiguity. Then I'd tell her she doesn't have to respond and can take as much time as she likes to sort through her feelings. Don't leave room for confusion.

My thinking on this is basically it's time to get the air cleared. For myself, once I find a guy doesn't have feelings for me, my feelings for him evaporate almost instantly. So I'm a big fan of ripping off that bandaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships