Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:45 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,375 times

Advertisements

My husband is a smoker. When we were first married we rented a house where smoking wasn't allowed inside, so for the most part it wasn't an issue since that's where I spent the majority of my time. Now that we own our own home he has decided he can smoke in the basement and not have to go outside. The smoke still comes upstairs. It burns my throat and makes me sneeze. The stench is awful, and when anyone else needs to go to the basement we can't escape it. He refuses to take it outside. I resent him for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 10:04 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,294 times
I can understand that lucy. Some brands of commercial cigs do that to me. Most;y the red Marlboro packs. DH switched to the "roll you own" back in 2012, and that tobacco is much more tolerable.

Yes, it would be nice if my new husband decided to stop smoking. But I don't make an issue of it as it is an addiction. He has to decide on his own to stop.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:52 AM

19,713 posts, read 20,244,680 times
I say, as long as they're smoking the same stuff.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:23 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
My husband is a smoker. When we were first married we rented a house where smoking wasn't allowed inside, so for the most part it wasn't an issue since that's where I spent the majority of my time. Now that we own our own home he has decided he can smoke in the basement and not have to go outside. The smoke still comes upstairs. It burns my throat and makes me sneeze. The stench is awful, and when anyone else needs to go to the basement we can't escape it. He refuses to take it outside. I resent him for it.

We have someone in our family that is a smoker, probably the only one and while she's a nice great lady in 99 percent of things, for some reason she just refuses to go outside to smoke, she'll do it at someone else's house but not at hers, so when there are family get togethers everyone is sort of subjected to her smoking, she has gotten a bit better with it over the yrs, but only when everyone is there, if it's just a few people she won't go outside to smoke. I hate going over there sometimes cause you end up smelling like an old ciggy and you're saturated in it,and not to mention it seems like the smoke is always going into my face.

My Dad is the same way, we'll get in his car and he's starts firing up ciggy after ciggy and I'm sitting there gagging trying to crack a window to get a fresh breath... LOL

Old 06-22-2015, 01:45 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
We have strict anti smoking laws downunder, and the end result is most people either quit altogether or have reduced their intake wildly.

People aren't allowed to smoke inside anymore, any public venues, and even streets are becoming smoke free.

Every smoker I know automatically heads outside, sometimes they're only out there for a puff or two.

it's barely noticeable anymore.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We have someone in our family that is a smoker, probably the only one and while she's a nice great lady in 99 percent of things, for some reason she just refuses to go outside to smoke, she'll do it at someone else's house but not at hers, so when there are family get togethers everyone is sort of subjected to her smoking, she has gotten a bit better with it over the yrs, but only when everyone is there, if it's just a few people she won't go outside to smoke. I hate going over there sometimes cause you end up smelling like an old ciggy and you're saturated in it,and not to mention it seems like the smoke is always going into my face.

My Dad is the same way, we'll get in his car and he's starts firing up ciggy after ciggy and I'm sitting there gagging trying to crack a window to get a fresh breath... LOL
My mom smokes, and when she's at other people's houses, she smokes outdoors. She has never smoked indoors at any house or apartment of mine, ever, or any of my siblings', or grandparents' homes. At her own house, she does not go outside to smoke. She does tend to situate herself by an open window, for the most part, but ventilation really only does so much good when smoking indoors.

Honestly, her house, her choice. If people have a major problem with it, they don't need to go there.

I won't ride with a smoker who smokes in the car. I just can't do it.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:12 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Most Australians have outdoor rooms for just this reason.

Granted its usually warm enough to sit outside anyway, but in winter like it is now we all just rug up or have a fire or heater going.

The smokers can puff away to their hearts content.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:26 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My mom smokes, and when she's at other people's houses, she smokes outdoors. She has never smoked indoors at any house or apartment of mine, ever, or any of my siblings', or grandparents' homes. At her own house, she does not go outside to smoke. She does tend to situate herself by an open window, for the most part, but ventilation really only does so much good when smoking indoors.

Honestly, her house, her choice. If people have a major problem with it, they don't need to go there.

I won't ride with a smoker who smokes in the car. I just can't do it.
I get that it's her house her rules, but if she invites us and were all gagging you'd think that someone would try and be a little more courteous about it... that's all I'm saying....

Old 06-23-2015, 07:12 AM

315 posts, read 210,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Most Australians have outdoor rooms for just this reason.

Granted its usually warm enough to sit outside anyway, but in winter like it is now we all just rug up or have a fire or heater going.

The smokers can puff away to their hearts content.
Sounds very civilized to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships