Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:31 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,375 times

Advertisements

I started having children at a young age. I love them all and don't regret them, but I recommend waiting a few more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:32 AM

609 posts, read 615,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
A case of sour grapes if I ever did see one.
Biggest case of sour grapes I've ever seen on any forum. Lovely one she is.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I started having children at a young age. I love them all and don't regret them, but I recommend waiting a few more years.
Why not put numbers on it? Otherwise you just sound like a hypocrite. When people say "I did this, and it was great, for me, but you should do that, its a better choice... ... really? People aren't going to get that.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Eh. Plenty of people deliberately choose to go about things differently than previous generations and avoid pitfalls of others' choices.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Lol.. A lot of people have their kids in their 30's. Your inexperience in life is already showing. Your entire post was utter nonsense. So much so that I am embarrassed for you.
I never said a lot of people in their 30's have kids. I said it was not (and is not) a "best" practice. A lot of people eat excessive amounts of sugar and diabetes and its complications are crippling and killing record numbers of Americans. You're response was a tad bit intense considering it was attacking the truth. What's that about? Even people who were only able to have children after years of trying and tens of thousands of dollars of fertility treatments still recommend delaying romantic involvement and childbearing into middle age. I just don't get that.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I never said a lot of people in their 30's have kids. I said it was not (and is not) a "best" practice. A lot of people eat excessive amounts of sugar and diabetes and its complications are crippling and killing record numbers of Americans. You're response was a tad bit intense considering it was attacking the truth. What's that about? Even people who were only able to have children after years of trying and tens of thousands of dollars of fertility treatments still recommend delaying romantic involvement and childbearing into middle age. I just don't get that.

Because 30s isn't old (only at the tail end of ones thirties can someone be considered middle aged), and most people don't need any fertility treatment at all... and gasp, they might have found a suitable partner by then, and gasp, they might have finished school, become established in their career track, and what do you know! Might be in place to emotionally and economically handle reproducing.

It's shocking that people are promoting responsibility!

Old 06-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Eh. Plenty of people deliberately choose to go about things differently than previous generations and avoid pitfalls of others' choices.
The big difference is now we are coming up against the hard limits of biology. Humans were not meant to be first time parents in their 30's. It works, but it is an open question as to how well it works. Older parents have put a record number of sup-bar offspring into the genetic pool. When these young children and infants age out of home and parental care the burden to society will be immense. Unlovable, unemployable in many cases in need of supervision around the clock, where will the necessary man-power to take their place in the labor force and also see to their care and feeding come from?

I was living on my own at 18. An 18 year old in 2015 is still a child. Mentally! An 18 year old of 2015 is much more physically and sexually mature than an 18 year old in 1977 but the 2015 version is more likely to still be a virgin, asexual or heteroconfused, unemployed, and dependent on parents for food and shelter.. I'm not really seeing how remaining an adolescent into one's 20's is avoiding pitfalls of earlier generations.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:09 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Why the assumption that a married, professional couple a few years out of school isn't emotionally or financially prepared for parenthood?

Old 06-15-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Because 30s isn't old (only at the tail end of ones thirties can someone be considered middle aged), and most people don't need any fertility treatment at all... and gasp, they might have found a suitable partner by then, and gasp, they might have finished school, become established in their career track, and what do you know! Might be in place to emotionally and economically handle reproducing.

It's shocking that people are promoting responsibility!
You continue to miss my point. All you say is true. Except the part that "most don't need any fertility treatment at all". That is untrue. Being responsible is great. But the biology is very inflexible. The price for the one is that the overall fertility rate of the United States is falling. It is far from causing any panic yet, but the trend is clear. And because the economic pressures only increase as time goes on the 30 somethings that are the middle of the bell curve are giving way to people who wait even longer. 40 somethings being first time parents are not at all uncommon. 50 somethings are very rare but not all that fantastic. You have to look to the 60's before you find the examples at the edges of credulity but even they exist. So where do you draw the line? 30's is old. I know you don't think so but it is. Biologically its old. That's why pro athletes are finished in their 30's. You will never be better than your 30's. That's the peak, my friend. For physical, artistic, emotional and psychological attainment. For childbirth and rearing the mid-teens to the mid-twenties is still the peak. It just is. I'm not saying we should promote teen-agers being parents!!! I did NOT say that. But don't tell me it is a great development to have 30 somethings feeling superior about having waited. For too many of them (and you will never know them) it led to a missed opportunity.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
No fertility treatments needed, here.

Guess my biology's just that flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships