Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 01:08 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
OP.....you might want to consider that you are giving off some red flags as well.....if you aren't comfortable dating. ..you may might want to hold off forvawhile.

If I met a guy acting like you...I'd have to wonder what they are hiding.

The bolded part is where I was thinking the same thing. I understand wanting privacy, but there are steps a person has to take to get to know someone, and that means giving up information about yourself. If a person is that much afraid of being stalked, killed or what not. Don't date. Just keep to yourself. Anything you do with another person, trust is going to have be given at some point, and if you are not going to do that, the other person is going to think you are the one with the problem. You have to judge people as individuals, and get to know them for them. Not assume that everyone is guilty unti proven innocence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 01:28 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
The bolded part is where I was thinking the same thing. I understand wanting privacy, but there are steps a person has to take to get to know someone, and that means giving up information about yourself. If a person is that much afraid of being stalked, killed or what not. Don't date. Just keep to yourself. Anything you do with another person, trust is going to have be given at some point, and if you are not going to do that, the other person is going to think you are the one with the problem. You have to judge people as individuals, and get to know them for them. Not assume that everyone is guilty unti proven innocence.
You must have not read my OP then. I did give up personal information. She has my full name and phone number. That's a lot for someone I just met, but the comment saying oh yea I'm definitely crazy shot up a big red flag. I need to know if it is a legitimate red flag or if my past experiences are tainting my perspective.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:31 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I've got to say that I joke around like that sometimes too and I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy lol. My favorite thing to say is, "We're all crazy and we just have to find someone whose craziness matches our own." Most guys find it kind of funny, but maybe I'd better stop that lol.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:34 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've got to say that I joke around like that sometimes too and I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy lol. My favorite thing to say is, "We're all crazy and we just have to find someone whose craziness matches our own." Most guys find it kind of funny, but maybe I'd better stop that lol.
No i like it.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:38 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
I think its important to show OP the stinking thinking on his part and thats important, but i also believe what is equally important is to kinda send him in the right direction to get tools to help himself with these issues. Its one thing to know sometimes is off its another to know how to change it.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:57 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You must have not read my OP then. I did give up personal information. She has my full name and phone number. That's a lot for someone I just met, but the comment saying oh yea I'm definitely crazy shot up a big red flag. I need to know if it is a legitimate red flag or if my past experiences are tainting my perspective.
No....name and a cell phone is not a lot to give out....and you seemed to do that much rather reluctantly. Using anoymous texting services?

If you are going to approach dating with this level of paranoia and suspension..you need to really think about this.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:04 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
No....name and a cell phone is not a lot to give out....and you seemed to do that much rather reluctantly. Using anoymous texting services?

If you are going to approach dating with this level of paranoia and suspension..you need to really think about this.
You obviously have never been stalked before and are being naive. Trust isn't built immediately so maintaining a level of privacy certainly until you meet in person is good sense. If the person turns out to be mentally ill, do you really want them to know where you work and home address?

Old 06-17-2015, 02:06 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Actually I wait until I have met a guy in person before giving out the cell, and then, only if I am fairly sure I want to see them again. I've carried on a message convo on OKC with a dude for over a month and never gave him my phone # or last name. But I doubt if I'm going out of my way to spend time with him again although...I have a feeling our paths might cross inadvertently. That might be awkward when that happens. I don't know. I did tell him that I was moving on and that he and I probably would not wind up being a thing, but he still wanted to be friends and chat, so whatever. *shrug* When he messages, I respond. Nice guy, I just wasn't that into him.

I know what kind of research I am capable of with just a full name and a name of a city or a cell phone number. So I prefer not to hand out my personal info. While I'm an open book in some regards, I prefer that none of these people show up at my work for instance, looking for me. Home would be fine, my ex would happily deal with them.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:06 PM

479 posts, read 431,902 times
I vote for #2... I mean, that's what happened... right? Be honest.
Good luck.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:21 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,729 times
Why wouldn't you just ask her straight out, 'why do you say you're crazy?' Just be direct. I bet her answer/reaction will be even more revealing than the original comment.
I would definitely see that as a red flag. It's true people usually tell you exactly who they are (even if it's just a hint-) and you should believe them the first time. I mean, why would a nice person just say that out of the blue for no reason? Is she teasing you, or warning you? Even if she's not hinting to anything serious, I still find it odd.
Beware of anyone who tries to act too 'chummy' from the get-go, when you just barely met.

Anyway, just ask & see what she says. And oh yeah, do a background check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships