Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

Count me in as a member of the low numbers club.

I'll be honest, though: I sometimes wish I weren't so discriminating. I'd get a lot more action than I do, and that would be rather nice.

Besides, it's not like we selective types are appreciated in today's dating world.
Truly, I did not find my selectivity a problem in dating. I always got the action I wanted.

Personally, I was never worried about my reputation. I just knew what did and didn't make me happy, and went with what did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 09:40 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
When I was 18-21, I slept around a lot until I had a steady girlfriend. I've had consistently fewer partners over the years, but have had way, way more partners than steady relationships. I've had three to four steady relationships in my life, but over twenty partners.

Did you end up having a lot of partners relative to the number of serious relationships you've had? Why?

Yes.
Having a partner for a short time is easy.
Having a relationship is hard.
For a chunk of my life I really didn't have the time or energy it takes to commit to a LTR.
Now I don't have the patience.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:11 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
One thing I believed early in my teen years that probably contributed to a few of my sexual deeds, was that if you had any play going on that aroused a man, you had some kind of an obligation to take it to its final conclusion. Teenage boys just LOVE to make a girl feel guilty for getting them excited and not giving up the prize. Eventually I came to the realization that there is no reason they can't just take care of that problem themselves...it's not really my problem, unless I really want it to be. So there's that.

Because I started young and got most of my "numbers" in as a teenager, I don't really consider any of those to be serious relationships even though some of them were boyfriends. My recent ex used to think that as many guys as I slept with, I just HAD to be cheating on any boyfriends I had...but that's not true. I just didn't have a whole ton of boyfriends, most of them were FWB, with no implied or expressed commitment to fidelity involved on either side. That's how I wanted it. When I did have a bf, I was faithful.

Some posters have been disgusted or scandalized by my numbers, but I can't imagine caring, I'm 36 years old, and that was a chapter in my life almost two decades past, in a land far away, involving people I never even see anymore...*shrug*

Between age 14-18, I had 34 partners (EDIT: 34 males. There were also four or five females.) I can remember maybe 5-10 that I actually cared about and retain a positive feeling towards or would have liked to have kept in my life to some degree. The rest didn't and don't matter.

I stayed with the same partner from age 18, faithfully until our recent split, for 18 years, and that is the only relationship I've ever had that I consider "serious"...and it was WAY too serious for my preferences. Now I am avoiding serious. But I'm also not jumping in the sack with just anyone...I at least want men to be on the upper end of sexually attractive by my criteria. I'm a lot pickier than my teenage self was. I place more value on my time, how I spend it, and with whom.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
One thing I believed early in my teen years that probably contributed to a few of my sexual deeds, was that if you had any play going on that aroused a man, you had some kind of an obligation to take it to its final conclusion. Teenage boys just LOVE to make a girl feel guilty for getting them excited and not giving up the prize.
I'm so glad I didn't know guys like this (or, more likely, they just didn't happen to be among the guys with whom I surrounded myself).

Old 06-18-2015, 12:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
See, I had the opposite problem at that age... but it still came down to sex. I didn't get much action for most of high school because I looked so young that boys actually got uncomfortable at the prospect of trying to get me into bed . Eventually one brave young lad took one for team, and we ended up dating for 2 years so it couldn't have been that bad.
Quote:
One thing I believed early in my teen years that probably contributed to a few of my sexual deeds, was that if you had any play going on that aroused a man, you had some kind of an obligation to take it to its final conclusion. Teenage boys just LOVE to make a girl feel guilty for getting them excited and not giving up the prize. Eventually I came to the realization that there is no reason they can't just take care of that problem themselves...it's not really my problem, unless I really want it to be. So there's that.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:24 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
See, I had the opposite problem at that age... but it still came down to sex. I didn't get much action for most of high school because I looked so young that boys actually got uncomfortable at the prospect of trying to get me into bed . Eventually one brave young lad took one for team, and we ended up dating for 2 years so it couldn't have been that bad.
This was me in high school, at about the height of my shenanigans, age 16. I'm the one in the middle.

I was actually dreading my sons being teenagers, but astonishingly they are really good kids who don't get in NEAR the kind of trouble I did. I was like a hippie, only darker and spookier. All sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll... They on the other hand are all tabletop RPG's, video games, and viola. Neither of them is particularly rebellious for its own sake. Blows my freakin' mind, sometimes...

Old 06-18-2015, 01:27 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:

I was actually dreading my sons being teenagers, but astonishingly they are really good kids who don't get in NEAR the kind of trouble I did. I was like a hippie, only darker and spookier. All sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll... They on the other hand are all tabletop RPG's, video games, and viola. Neither of them is particularly rebellious for its own sake. Blows my freakin' mind, sometimes...

I hear this from so very very many people. That the high schoolers of today are positively tame and even boring compared to how we were in the 70s and 80s.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Yeah, you definitely looked more mature than I did. My prospects eventually improved when, sometime during the summer before the start of junior year, I woke up with a set of D cups.
Quote:
This was me in high school, at about the height of my shenanigans, age 16. I'm the one in the middle.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 PM

There was not a single rebellious teen in my household, out of four siblings. Raising us was a cakewalk for my parents, something they fully acknowledge now that we're all adults and have/are having our own kids.

I credit my parents with stumbling their way into building a pretty sweet dynamic. We didn't really HAVE anything to rebel against. Things were cool.

My dad was raised in a similar household, so he never had any real cause to rebel, either. My mom, maybe a little, due to some overly strict parenting, but for the most part, pretty tame.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:30 PM

914 posts, read 765,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I hear this from so very very many people. That the high schoolers of today are positively tame and even boring compared to how we were in the 70s and 80s.
Yup, and I hear they were all tamer than the teens and young adults from the 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships